[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All of my life i've been prone to daytime sleepines, depression

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: deviated septum.jpg (28KB, 479x360px) Image search: [Google]
deviated septum.jpg
28KB, 479x360px
All of my life i've been prone to daytime sleepines, depression and attention issues (even tough im finishing college). But recently i've been diagnosed with a deviated septum which blocks airflow and casues sleep apneas (sleep interruption) both of these supposedly affect cognitive functions.

Do you know of serious studies that analyze this? i would also like to know if i may someday acquire normal brain functioning or if the damage is already done.
>>
You will have to accept the fact that you're a brainlet.
>>
>>9038299
deviated septum is unlikely to have the significant effect on your cognition that you think it does, even if there is an (small) effect. people complain of these issues of sleepiness and attention all the time. its normal in some sense and might be related to where your life is at at the moment (are you where you want to be?). some of the best consesnsus is that the biggest way to improve cognition is to improve your life circumstances. social life, excercise, the right job. the only way to beat your issues is to put real planning and effort in to seeing what youre bad at and how you can alleviate it. even more so, looking at your goals and seeing what is reasonable or unreasonable. your issues might be predisposed to your genes. they might be partly to do with your septum (through sleep) but see a doctor, not 4chan.
>>
>>9038317
>Anonymous 07/15/17(Sat)17:48:15 No.90

http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-psych-113011-143750 a supporting review by an expert. training by e.g. brain training is not conclusive and is very inconsistent. it is probable that these only have near transfer and so aren't useful atleast in a significant sense. meditation isnt discussed a whole lot though but from my intuition it seems better than brain training (e.g. n-back) because it seems to be working on cognition in a far more ecological context, or atleast has the potential to.
>>
>>9038317
>but see a doctor, not 4chan.
i am, and i will get the surgery. I've done a sleep analysis and an airflow analysis they both confirm this. i just want to see if there are serious studies and or experiences of people who had the surgery
>>
>>9038328
well overall sleep has a big effect on cognition. but what im saying is that, treating your septum might not automatically mean you achieve all your goals.
>>
>>9038331
>>9038331
>well overall sleep has a big effect on cognition.
is this scientifically established?

because it is established by test that i have bad sleep quality, i snore a lot, sometimes wake up almost chocking, i have night terrors, sometimes i even rarely slept walk.

it wouldnt be unreasonable to expect an improvement in my life after the surgery, right?
>>
>>9038340
yeah you would but it doesnt necessarily mean youll achieve everything you want to.
>>
try intermittent fasting if you're not a fat glutinous fuck.

I have coffee in the morning, and one meal a day when I get off work, around 6-7 pm.
I have much more energy and feel much more alert.
I only deviate from this on the weekends, when I lift I'll eat beforehand to make sure I'm not running on fumes or risking injury.
>>
>>9038340
and yes its established. im not sourcing because its easy enough to google,
>>
OP, for some people the operation is miraculous, for others, not so much. It depends, fairly obviously, on whether you have a clear airway after. Mucous membranes can swell, and/or pruduce too much mucous, and interrupt airflow even if your tubes are straight. Common causes include allergy to house dust mites, pollen, etc, and milk and milk products. Have you ever tried going a couple of weeks without any milk, cheese, etc?
>>
>>9038299
Hello OP fate that I managed to find this thread at this time of day

I have this too. Always thought I had chronic back pain but it was a blocked septum artery in my nose. Symptoms since 15: having to crack my back and hands all the damn time interrupting focus on hw/lecture/gym , tired even after sleeping for 12 hours straight.

Took increased medication in the form of vasodilators of the nose and only recently stated living life. at 23.
>>
>>9038754
>Took increased medication in the form of vasodilators of the nose and only recently stated living life. at 23.
hope life is worth living at 28
>>
>>9038747
>Mucous membranes can swell, and/or pruduce too much mucous, and interrupt airflow even if your tubes are straigh
dont doctors take thjis into account when fixing the shit up?

Is there a problem in leaving them too big on purpose?
>>
>>9038811
Depends. Some docs are still blinkered, if their thing is straightening septums, they might not like to hear from some 'sensitivity' food freak, or at least that's the way they see it. But talk to professional singers, they know this. Many of them will avoid dairy because they know from experience the extra mucus coats their vocal chords and blocks their nose.

And no, you can't really 'leave them too big on purpose', there's a limit to the effects of the operation. It's not guaranteed it will produce a big enough result to clear your breathing entirely.
>>
>>9038299
i dont think it has to do anything with cognitive functions. sure it can cause headaches and some hypoxia and hyperkapnia but CNS dysfunction? not sure
>>
>>9039031
mostly because of the sleep issues. It doesn't let me sleep well
>>
>>9038299
>tfw significantly harder to breathe through left nostril than right

i've been considering seeing a sleep center, but i'm afraid i won't be able to fall asleep in one and also they cost a shitload of money if i don't get a referral.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.