[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had infinite time, could you teach a chimp anything that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (4KB, 104x186px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 104x186px
If you had infinite time, could you teach a chimp anything that you can teach a human? Could a chimp learn to prove mathematical theorems or decipher extinct languages?
>>
>>9033553
no and theres been a ton of studys about it. you can teach them sign language but afaik only a certain number of words
>>
>>9033555
The 'sentences' that they form also completely lack grammar, and are almost always up to human interpretation in terms of meaning. They learn what words mean and how to express them, not how to create meaningful sentences, and so will always be inferior in terms of language (considering we have an entire brain lobe associated with it).
>>
>>9033555
So if apes fundamentally can't learn something... does it mean we are fundamentally incapable of grasping some conceots too?
>>
>>9033564
> (considering we have an entire brain lobe associated with it).
This is actually fairly controversial, because humans who have had half their brain removed as seizure treatment (hemispherectomy) and lost the part of their brain that is usually considered the language center have still developed full language skills, including fluently speaking multiple languages.
>>
>>9033567
Yes.
>>
>>9033567
that's why we want to make smarter humans
we can start with the Ashkenazim they already have 1000 years of accelerated intelligence evolution
>>
>>9033567
Perhaps. I know that the concept of true 4D (not including time) escapes most people, although I have heard that people eventually learn how to navigate 4D mazes (although I haven't seen these results myself). The difficulty in finding these concepts is discovering something that you don't understand and describing it; it's a paradox. Describe it to the point that it is understandable and it is no longer a limitation; and you cannot prove it if it is unable to be understood.
>>
>>9033567
What is the ape to man? A laughing-stock, a thing of shame. And just the same shall man be to the Superman: a laughing-stock, a thing of shame.
>>
>>9033553
No, because after a while it will get tired of your shit, rip off your arm, and fuck your ass with it.
>>
>>9033553
No, no you can't
>>
>>9033553
god i see this turning into another race IQ nature-nurture thread.
>>
>>9033593
I'm actually reading the book right now, convolited as fuck but really good.
>>
>>9033593
Nietzsche?
>>
>>9033587
wtf I want a 4D maze
>>
>>9033553
no
>>
>>9033553
Yes, you could train a chimp to carry out arbitrary computations by teaching them to implement pic related. Given enough time and space you could emulate a whole human mind by simulating it from the atoms up. Or more easily implement theorem proving algorithms.

Theorem proving is something a monkey might be able to do provided we structure things correctly. DARPA has structured theorem proving of computer programs as a game.
>>
>>9034084
Yup, from Thus spoke Zarathustra
>>
File: 1422662132208.jpg (17KB, 249x348px) Image search: [Google]
1422662132208.jpg
17KB, 249x348px
>>9033553
Yes.

You could do anything with infinite time. That's what makes it infinite. But teaching the chimp to be human isn't the problem. It's getting infinte time.

It baffles me that a board with such intelligent people as /sci/ fail to grasp such simple concepts.
>>
>>9034259

your logic seems to suggest you can teach an ant to do it in infinite time.
>>
>>9033564
Bottlenose dolphins have been shown to recognize syntax
>>
>>9033567
why would that imply anything. we are different animals with different brains.

its not like a human is a leveled up ape
>>
>>9034581
source?
>>
>>9034613
http://www.cell.com/trends/cognitive-sciences/abstract/S1364-6613(13)00047-8
>>
>>9034631
oh wow thats my uni kek
>>
>>9033583
I love you and your shitposts BAB poster
>>
File: coolfrog.jpg (55KB, 497x750px) Image search: [Google]
coolfrog.jpg
55KB, 497x750px
>>9033583
jew wish
>implying intelligence/curiosity is heritable not learned from observation, caused by necessity
>>
>>9034554
You could. It would take changing the ant's genetic code at it's core, but we're already starting to do that with humans.

What makes you think we couldn't?
>>
>>9034940

im pretty sure you would have to change the code so much that its no longer an ant.
>>
>>9035293
If you buy a car, and over time replace every single part of it one by one, is it still the same car you started out with?
>>
>>9035304
Well if we go by this route, the whole question of whether a chimp can do this becomes obselete...
>>
>>9035304
If you buy a car, and change it so much that it now does something completely different, is it still a car?
This analogy makes more sense.
>>
>>9033553
No but an orangutan or a bonobo could, chimps are fucking stupid just because we share a common ancestor with them doesn't mean they're the smartest animals alive.
>>
>>9033575
Why do they assume that there are sections of the brain responsible for 'X'? Is it not equally likely that the neurons responsible for 'X' are randomly distributed around the brain?
You can argue for people doing EEG scans while telling people to think about shit, but that just doesn't seem like a very rigorous way to test, since every sense in the human body is associated with every other sense.
>>
>>9033553
No. No other animal displays enough visual-spatial reasoning/working memory abilities to consider abstract things like mathematics or language.

Given an infinite amount of time, your best bet would be to breed some animal (perhaps an orangutan, or some sort of corvid) that is already above average in this area, and select for working memory/spatial processing.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.