[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do all organisms more or less follow this rough facial geometry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 13

Why do all organisms more or less follow this rough facial geometry? Two eyes, one nose, and one mouth in more or less the exactly same place. Bears, chimps, rabbits, carnivorous and herbivorous, aquatic, lizard and mammal alike. Why not any other shape?
>>
I WANNA FUCK THA FISH MOUTH
>>
>>9031436
2 eyes = stereo vision and depth perception. Also for prey animals the eyes are often on the sides of the head, allowing for a wider FOV

Not all animal have noses in the same place, and many animals have no "nose" at all.

As for mouths, same as above.
>>
>>9031436
maybe search symmetry in biology in wiki but maybe something to do with the idea of goal-direction, heading, so they have those evaluative senses toward the front parts of the animal (including things like hands and feelers). maybe nose, ears, mouth, eyes developed on head because its efficient i.e. close to the brain?
>>
File: spider face.jpg (281KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
spider face.jpg
281KB, 1024x683px
>>9031436
Related animals have similar body plans.
Why would you expect otherwise?

All of your examples are vertebrates.

>Why not any other shape?
Pic related.
Multiple eyes.
No nose, breathes through abdomen.
Mouth surrounded by modified legs.
>>
File: box jellyfish eyes.jpg (63KB, 570x277px) Image search: [Google]
box jellyfish eyes.jpg
63KB, 570x277px
>>9031462
Box jellyfish.

Eyes scattered around the body, in pairs, one facing up and one facing down. Interestingly, complex eyes are not attached to a brain to interpret what they "see."
"Mouth" in center under the body.
No nose.
>>
>>9031436
man, that fish's mouth looks like an asian girl's vagina
>>
File: scallop.jpg (192KB, 1160x480px) Image search: [Google]
scallop.jpg
192KB, 1160x480px
>>9031468
Sea scallop
Multiple eyes along edges of both shells.

No mouth, eats by filtering food particles out of the water it breathes.

No nose.
>>
Bacteria, organism -> no nose, eyes, mouth, ears, hands, or brain..
>>
>>9031436
Because 2 work and redundancy is overrated if the animal is fit enough not to have to regrow chunks bitten out of it by higher animals.
>>
>>9031462
>>9031468
>>9031473
Yeah, I get that there are things that don't follow that geometry - I'm saying that all creatures seem to have a 'face' much like ours. Why is the nose not above the eyes? Why have a face at all?
>>
>>9031581
I'm no expert on this, but I would say that evolution tends to build on top of designs and in general is rather conservative
So in light of that it makes sense to me, but what do I know?
>>
>>9031581
There are plenty of animals that have a nose above their eyes. For example, whales. The blowhole on the backs of wails is their nose.

Animals that are more closely genetically related are going to look more similar to each other because.... they are more closely genetically related. They aren't as "far apart' on the evolutionary tree. All vertebrates are, relatively speaking, close to each other. The two eyes - nose- mouth thing was pretty firmly established with fish before animals even moved to land. It's a really old feature set.
>>
>>9031436

Because bilateral symmetry has been naturally selected through millions of years, thats not to say that there are other symmetries, but those symmetries are older and ended up in dead ends.

For example; the whole cnidaria phylum is not bilateral but rather radial: That is, the structures repeats along a central axis, and then you have the phylum ctenophora, which is special because it has birradial symmetry where a same structure repeats in 4 sectors.

But as far as you can see there are not many animals with radial symmetry

What you might find is pentaradial symmetry in the phylum Echinodermata but that is only in appearance, in realty they are bilateral animals but very modified.
>>
File: uo.png (21KB, 90x87px) Image search: [Google]
uo.png
21KB, 90x87px
WROOONG
>>
>>9031581
>all the animals that look like us that don't even make up the majority of animals look like us
>>
File: drool.jpg (13KB, 297x170px) Image search: [Google]
drool.jpg
13KB, 297x170px
Shitties bait ever.
But ya got some smart mathematicians
>>
>>9031436
The answer is it's simply the most effective faciaal geometry. Or the most effective facial geometry ever evolved. Same thing really. Maybe a more effective one COULD eventually come into play but it's unlikely. This face type has been selected through millions of years.
>>
Dear lord you all suck at conversation

Taking pop-shots at the particulars as usual.

Yes they said "all animals" obviously there will be a few that won't fall into that criteria.

Instead of nit-picking, try adding something to the conversation that's not so black and white.

This is why I hate lurking.
So many of you suck at talking with each other, that I end up reading more arguments than actual discussions.

Quit boosting your Ego fag.
>>
>>9031581
Kangaroos actually have their balls in front of their penis. Look it up.
>>
It has been adequate enough for all the common ancestors up until now.
>>
>>9032094
>Yes they said "all animals" obviously there will be a few that won't fall into that criteria.

But that's wrong. There are more than "a few." There are many, many living things that do not fit OP's criteria for a supposedly universal face plan. A few have been mentioned in this thread to illustrate this.

It is true that, among one prominent group of species that share a common ancestry (and, incidentally, share a number of other traits) that plan is the standard. But that should not be a surprise, that is what would be expected among species with a common ancestry. And even there, there are exceptions, such as the nose position of whales, as somebody posted above. The adult flounder, with both eyes on the same side of the head, would be another.

Why is that particular plan pretty much standard among vertebrates? Why not? It works well, and nothing that works better has come along yet.

If attempting to answer a question put forward, and using examples to illustrate the answer, bothers you absent insufficiently conversational, then I guess I'm sorry-ish. But a question with a black-nd-white answer is going to get black-and-white responses.
>>
File: halibut-head.jpg (36KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
halibut-head.jpg
36KB, 470x470px
>>9032094
>a few
..you mean "most", but why are
you defending this idiot's opinion?
Compulsive ISFJ personality?
>>
>>9031436

Because the components of your face are relative to your body from top to bottom.

Eyes - brain
Nose - lungs
Mouth - stomach
>>
>>9032101
I will take your word for it, thanks.
>>
>>9031848
>thats not to say that there are other symmetries, but those symmetries are older and ended up in dead ends.
> ended up in dead ends
the fuck you just say you little bitch? you obviously don't know about the sickass regenerating properties of these (pic related) bad boys, regrowing limbs and shit, sometimes even dividing into two entire new individuals after limb separation. the fuck outta here with that dead end shit. starfish master race
>>
>>9031848
quality post
>>
>>9031581
mouth will usually be at the bottom, since you most often eat things that are below you (ground, seabed)
eyes will be high up, to avoid obstruction of vision and to see further. Some anmals, like snails or crabs, even have eyestalks for that purpose.
Nose is mainly used for breathing, so it makes sense that it's near the mouth. Can't really be below, since jaw is a moving element which would cause all sorts of problems. So naturally, it's gonna be somewhere between eyes and mouth.
>>
>>9032101
Thank you for that sentence
>>
>>9033103
>Nose is mainly used for breathing
not really, nose functions for smelling things before ingesting those things (hence, close to mouth) so as to prevent ingestion of rotting things, for example
>>
>>9033100
Awesome post
>>
>>9031581
most don't and we're all related anyway, those that are closest genetically - other mammals more commonly have what you describe
>>
File: Holothuroidea.jpg (61KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
Holothuroidea.jpg
61KB, 800x500px
>>9033100

Uhh... sir, those animals are bilateral in fact, pic related has the same symmetry.

Is just that during their development end up, secondarily in a pentaradial symmetry.

So bilateral wins again, as it has been doing for millions of years.
>>
>>9031436
Cephalisation.
>>
>>9032132
Bilateral symmetry is observed in the overwhelming majority of animal species.
Insects also have bilateral symmetry.
Not the guy from before, but you really are a nitpicking idiot.
>>
>>9033113
understandable, have a nice day
>>
File: moving teh goalposts.jpg (127KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
moving teh goalposts.jpg
127KB, 400x533px
>>9033125
Are we talking about bilateral symmetry or the arrangement of faces, as OP posted?
>>
File: image.jpg (4KB, 212x218px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4KB, 212x218px
>brainlets don't know about evo-devo toolkit genes
>>
>>9031436
Development of a single mouth is due to the basic development of all animals, (likely due to a common ancestor), which is a basic tube. Two eyes give depth perception, which is advantageous. I am unsure about two nostrils, but there is probably a good reason (despite how terrible my reasoning for this is).
>>
>>9033457
Stop being anal retentive, there are no goalposts to be moved since OP did not make an argument, he asked a question about the sub-specifics of bilateral symmetry (not in the same terms since OP is obviously a brainlet putting it in a naive, over-general way).
>>
>>9031436
It is more efficient to have your eyes near your mouth to know what you are eating or about to eat.

As why two eyes, for some species, is to have an ample field of vision and for other, mainly predators, it is to have a better perception of distances. Insects and arachnids are different.

As for why only one mouth, because two would be a huge redundancy as it is hard to find food in the first pllace.
>>
>>9033629
Probably for redundancy, if one hole is plugged up (for instance by a cold) then the other is still available. As most noses have small openings to allow for filtration, this becomes more of a threat and the redundancy is justified.
>>
>>9031436
>Why do all organisms more or less follow this rough facial geometry?

I don't see a face in any StarFish .......

Plants? Fungi? Worms? Sea Sponges? JellyFish? StarFish? Sea urchins? Bacteria?

Why there are so many Exceptions of OP's "rule".
>>
>>9033823
They don't have faces
>Checkmate
>>
>>9033823
I don't care about the ones that don't, I am obviously aware that some organisms have no faces. I was referring to the seemly universal 'rule' of a lot of animals, and why there is such a correlation wit seemingly non-interrelated species.

People on here seem to not be able to engage in proper conversations on here sometimes and need every minute detail explained to them...
>>
>>9033114
this is the most broad but overall correct answer in the thread. The formation of a head naturally selects bilateral symmetry.
>>
File: large.jpg (63KB, 500x654px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
63KB, 500x654px
>>9033949
It's the most plausible causal explanation. I can't stand phylogenetic pseudo-explanations.
>>
>>9031581
This was already explained to you you fucking sperglord. Related animals have similar body plans. Scallops have eyes too, but nobody would claim they have a face. Featherduster Worms see through their fucking gills and badly at that.
>>
>>9033100
Jellyfish are even more successful.
>>
>>9034978
But also about five times as gay.
>>
>>9031447
Really, no nose? How do they smell?
>>
>>9033629
Some animals with sensitive sense of smell actually have stereo smell, can locate objects with it. *citation needed* I read it somewhere so it must be true.
>>
>>9036860
Why don't you take a whiff of one and find out?
>>
>>9037034
You were so close...
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.