[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>velocity >speed >movement >momentum why do physicists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: what.gif (122KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
what.gif
122KB, 500x281px
>velocity
>speed
>movement
>momentum

why do physicists have multiple words for the same thing? are they just trying to look smarter?
>>
>>9029348
God I hope this is bait
>>
>>9029348
Because these concepts fit good in different situations

Why do I spend time solving your question? This is an obvious bait.
>>
File: 562.png (23KB, 200x200px)
562.png
23KB, 200x200px
>>9029348
>>
>>9029354
they all describe the same concept so they should all fit in each situation
>>
>>9029356
alright fucker, rigorously prove they are all equivalent without appeal to intuition
>>
>>9029348
>momentum is the same thing as velocity
pls die
>>
>>9029348
velocity = movement speed
movement = 1 or 0, something moves or it doens't
speed = similar to velocity, but not necessarily about movement. can also be meta, like acceleration = the speed at which something increases velocity
momentum = accumulated something, dunno for sure but fuck it it's late
>>
>>9029348
>inertia
you omitted, because brainlet
>>
>speed = ds/dt
>momentum = m*v

How's that the same, faggot?
>>
>>9029896
Pro-tip: you cannot, by definition.

Speed is the (scalar) magnitude of the (vector) velocity of a thing. 0-forms are not equal to 1-forms. Make whatever comparison you want: speed != velocity. And that's just those two.
>>
>>9029929
I think I heard somewhere that speed is velocity that with a direction.
>>
>>9029348
Imagine you have a glacier and a dust mote. The dust mote's been sitting around ever since it existed, but is kicked up into the air by the pile of rocks being pushed by the glacier. The dust mote is now moving one inch per second upward. The glacier has been moving one inch per second north for the past month.

The dust mote has only MOVED a few inches.

The dust mote's SPEED is the same as the glacier; one inch per second

It's VELOCITY is different from the glacier since it's moving in a different direction; upwards instead of north.

And it's MOMENTUM is negligible compared to the glacier; the dust mote is effortless to stop, whereas the glacier is nigh unstoppable.

Any questions, you fucking brainlet?
>>
All of which are numbers lmao rekt math 1 science 0
>>
>>9029348
Speed is a scalar quantity, velocity is a vector quantity. Momentum is a vector quantity, but it's definately not the same as speed or velocity (p=mv). Movement is the opposite of standing still.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.