[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how long do you think a human brain could survive if it was removed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

how long do you think a human brain could survive if it was removed from the body and connected to machines that oxygenated and fed it?
>>
>>9021789
at that point it's really just tissue culture. Id imagine a normal lifespan, not sure if normal neurological degradation would occur. The real question is, what do you mean by "survive"? Retain self-awareness, consciousness, or just the cells are alive?
>>
What would it be like to be that brain?

You would finally be able to just think without any possible distractions
>>
>>9021812
retain consciousness.
>>
>>9021821
That im not sure of. It may be too much of a hypothetical to even make a guess at this point, with my knowledge at least
>>
>>9021821
it would rapidly degrade without sensory input, it would probably be very scary and the brain would start to generate random shit from memory so that it actually has something happening, it can't avoid this as that's it's natural state. This would continue as the brain itself reduced to a vegetable-like state. The "consciousness" within will have long gone insane and would be effectively gone without complexity.
>>
>>9021846
this is a pretty good answer, and one i agree with. I am fairly certain without sensory input the brain would lose the functionality of those areas of the brain involved in that sensory input, but what im wondering is how the brain would react when the only inputs are those brought about by the "consciousness", ie your thoughts would be the only stimulation.
>>
>>9021846
What if we connect the optic,nerves to some form of stimuli calibrated to the same sorta input eyes make.

Not perfectly ofcourse but perhaps just to convey simple light sensitivity
>>
>>9021859
you're just going towards the route of cyborgs though. Less "brain in a vat" and more "brain controlling a robot"

I would think giving in input like that would defeat the whole purpose of the experiment, no?
>>
>>9021821
if we assume that consciousness is created by integrating everything about our world to create a reality for ourselves then you could argue that there would be no consciousness. you could probably recycle random thoughts for a while but it sounds horrifying and i doubt you would have the capacity for self-awareness
>>
>>9021789
This is actually interesting. Maybe this has been attempted with rodent brains? I would guess that in this kind of isolation brain activity would be minimal, i.e. akin to a deep coma. Would such a brain be able to resume its normal activity when transplanted in a new, adequate body assuming this is technically feasible? A Soviet scientist successfully transplanted a dog head, although the resulting monster didn't survive very long. Transplanting a brain without its original head would obviously be much more difficult but I don't see why it couldn't work, if only on a very short term. Immune reactions would be a major problem, and efficiently connecting nervous tissues is out of reach of current technology as far as I understand, but this may become a possibility with the proper nanotechnologies.
>>
>>9021858

we see in sensory deprivation people start to hallucinate, we see in amputations people get phantom sensations, phantom limbs, phantom pains. probably would just end up going crazy. no social interaction either. and we know that disconnecting brain areas from inputs cause them to deteriorate. there would definitely be some deep changes. maybe you would just end up pretty much for all intents and purposes, psychotic.
>>
0.0s
>>
>>9021789
See: Stephen Hawking
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.