[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you realize consciousness doesn't actually exist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: pythagoras.jpg (72KB, 900x750px) Image search: [Google]
pythagoras.jpg
72KB, 900x750px
When did you realize consciousness doesn't actually exist and that there really is no distinction between animate and inanimate?
>>
>>9018791
>consciousness doesn't actually exist
this is what mindless rocks actually believe
>>
Weed, ayy lmao.
>>
>>9019037
Nice defense mechanism
>>
>>9018791
>consciousness doesn't actually exist

cogito ergo sum

Consciousness is perhaps the only thing that DOES exist.
It's certainly the only thing for which existence can be proven absolutely.
>>
>>9019092
Not him but what is the proof for consciousness outside of philosophy with it's "cogito ergo sum"?
Although that's a perfectly fine definition in terms of logic, doesn't biology relating to the brain have a really hard time defining what consciousness actually is or whether it exists?
>>
>>9019122
>what is the proof for consciousness
>>9019122
>doesn't biology relating to the brain have a really hard time defining what consciousness actually is
Sure... but:
>>9019122
>or whether it exists?
Since you can directly experience it, it's rather obvious it exists.
Just because biology can't get a good handle on it doesn't mean it isn't real.
Biology can't explain car insurance either.
>>
>>9019141
>Since you can directly experience it, it's rather obvious it exists
Isn't it a mode of experience? I could argue we experience feelings, thoughts, sights, and tastes which are all seperate things from the idea of consciousness which is an umbrella term made to encompass all these elements.
>Biology can't explain car insurance either
Car Insurance doesn't relate to biology, consciousness does
>>
>>9019122
>biology relating to the brain have a really hard time defining what consciousness actually is or whether it exists?
However it's really easy for consciousness to define what biology is and whether it exists.
>>
>>9019152
>I could argue we experience feelings, thoughts, sights, and tastes which are all seperate things from the idea of consciousness
At this point you're arguing semantics.

>Car Insurance doesn't relate to biology, consciousness does
Maybe consciousness doesn't relate to biology any more than car insurance does.
Ok, that's really unlikely, but maybe consciousness is less related to biology than you'd like to believe.
Computer programming isn't really closely related to electronics.
>>
>>9018801
Underrated and relevant to pic related
>>
When you will stop experiencing the paranoia of Metaphysical smoke and mirrors, thus proving there is no Subject.
>>
>>9018791
This is truth, consciousness cannot exist without a state of affairs, a concept which /b/ cannot comprehend.
>>
>>9019122
If you assume the brain = the mind, then yes. But why assume that?
>>
>>9018791
I was on shrooms, I cried.
>>
>>9018791
There is distinction between animate and inanimate. Inanimate objects don't try to find out answer to question "is there consciousness and what it is?".

But for sake of argument, if there is no distinction how you know that rocks are not thinking? They may be conscious, you just are not aware of that.
>>
Consciousness is just an illusion.
Evolutionarily speaking, brains started as mere centers of empirical perceiving (seeing, touching, smelling). From evolution, brains got bigger because it obviously meant perceiving better so more survival. Bigger brains --> more synapsis, more possible neural connections etc. So brains became more than just RAM, they became an ALU/CPU.
Internally, individuals would, in their brains, compute messages.
It started out as "based on information, action is to eat". The big step was when brains evolved further in size allowing the statement "based on the information I am aware of, this person that I am must eat". This was the dawn of consciousness.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.