[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>fell for the math degree meme >100% unemployable >making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

File: hqdefault.jpg (66KB, 785x614px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
66KB, 785x614px
>fell for the math degree meme
>100% unemployable
>making minimum wage with high schoolers
>100% unemployable
>no end in sight

Just fucking major in comp sci and be done with it.
>>
File: rene guenon.jpg (71KB, 381x580px) Image search: [Google]
rene guenon.jpg
71KB, 381x580px
>tfw you double majored in CS and Math.
>>
File: [external despair].png (226KB, 552x560px) Image search: [Google]
[external despair].png
226KB, 552x560px
>triple majored in CS and Math and Stats
>>
>>9017973
>tries to triple major bio, env sci, and chem
>only got two
tfw
>>
>>9017968
That's what I tried to do. Ended up falling behind in a CS class and stopped putting in effort because I thought it was going to just be extra credentials. As it turns out, they would have been my only credentials.
>>
double majoring from shit colleges doenst count
>>
>>9017980
It's easy to do CS and Math double major if you programmed in high school.
>>
>>9017961
become the actuary brainlet
>>
>major in nothing
>inherit 9 million dollars from father
I may be autistic, but at least I'll never need to worry about money
>>
>>9017961
>major in math
>get programming job in first year uni with no qualifications
Programming is easy as fuck OP. Lot's of places don't care if you have a degree or not.
>>
I majored in triple integrals and got $500k starting.
>>
File: mathphd.jpg (24KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
24KB, 400x267px
>any job I want
>300k starting
>>
Once I tripled myself.
>>
>>9018136
Prove it.
>>
>>9017961
What's wrong with working with high school bitches as a guy with a math? I'm 26 and all I have to my name is a 35 on the ACT and all these girls want my babies.

Gotta capitalise. Having a worthless degree is still something to those with nothing. Just don't be snarky n shit like saying I went to colleegggee all the fuckin time
>>
>>9018048
Good for you. Not even sarcastic. Just glad to hear someone is doing ok
>>
File: 1498273656885.jpg (30KB, 456x402px) Image search: [Google]
1498273656885.jpg
30KB, 456x402px
>>9018236
>What's wrong with working with high school bitches
>>
>>9017961
Should've invested your working hours during school in developing trade skills. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, especially a hypothetical one.
>>
>>9017973
How long were you in college/
>>
File: 1494826135721.gif (717KB, 267x219px) Image search: [Google]
1494826135721.gif
717KB, 267x219px
>>9018048
>Implying 9 million dollar is a lot of money.

Nigger you'll be lucky if you don't run out of the money over the course of your lifetime living in Bumfuck, Missouri. I hope you don't plan on having a child.
>>
>>9018106
Uh, wrong. Most programming positions (even entry level) I find on Indeed list that you must have at least 2 years of experience. Offical experience, not "I coded in high school."
>>
>>9018136
>tfw I actually, unironically fell for this very meme

I'm so fucking embarrassed holy shit
>>
>>9018314
An 8% return on 9,000,000 is 720k/y.

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>9018327
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/debunking-the-myth-of-the-8-return-2013-02-27

Your father obviously didn't teach you shit about economics works either.

I'm beginning to wonder if your story is actually true or not. Are YOU fucking retarded, anon?
>>
>>9018312
5 years
>>
I did a little HTML and CSS in my sophmore year, not bragging coz' I was awful. Is it normal to suck even at HTML? Then again, I was a total lazy ass who didn't practice nor try and learn from other sources.
>>
>>9017961
>You finished an undergraduate degree in mathematics, making you a trained professional in analysis, algebra and topology

>Then you decided that the best place to apply analysis, algebra and topology was high school

Nah man, you can only blame yourself for being that fucking retarded.

It is like me getting a degree in biology, and then getting hired at a physics lab and expecting to earn more than peanuts and expecting to do more than clean glassware or something. Top kek.

Get a job on what you trained for. Terence Tao right now is lmaoing at your life while earning 500 thousand dollars.
>>
>>9018366
It's hard to suck at it per se, but web development is about as fun as getting murdered. I don't blame you for not being invested in it.
>>
>>9017961
Is an appiled math minor enough?
>>
>>9018336
>Stocks are volatile, and even though they earned 8.6% after inflation historically, with volatility one's wealth would've only grown at a rate of 6.5%.
Oh boo hoo, that's only $585k Even if we use the author's retarded underestimate at 2%- because obviously we're all cucks who are going to lose money and abandon stocks in later life- that's still 180k/y, which is 3.2 times larger than the median household income in America.
>>
>>9018376
Doing web dev internship this summer, can confirm.
>>
>>9018048
shit I aint a financial advisor, but put that shit away. 30 year government bonds are yielding 2.9% per year. If you put 4.5 mil in those bonds, you'd be getting 130,500 per year just sitting on the money. Put the other 4.5 in an index fund (like QQQ). Gotta make that money last senpai; if you do it right, you can live comfortably and laugh at the wagies everyday
>>
When in doubt:

1) Strive for your ideal place. Remember, those that try to achieve their dreams must go through hardships.

2) That which is dreamed cannot be grasped by force, but work towards it, day after day, and you will find it in your hands

3) Do not compare yourself with others, do only what you can do.

4) To see it through, patience is important

5) When traditional and modern powers mingle, the gate to an unseen world will open

6) No matter how far you go, you must remember that you will still make mistakes and that is fine as long as you have the wisdom to push through. The path to your goals never ends.

7) Connect with other people and your dreams will grow

And absolutely never forget:
[eqn] \text{A believing heart is your magic}[/eqn]
>>
>>9018626
Sounds like a copy pasta
>>
if you passed 3 actuary exams and landed 1 internship, you would've gotten a job. if you've taken some useful classes you would've gotten some data science internships. or you're a fucking troll because mathematics is among the most employable hard science degrees with just a bachelors.
>>
>>9018316
I've played tis-100

is that experience?
>>
A Math BSc is not worth anything. You need to go further.

And you need to be good. Mediocre grades won't get you anywhere.
>>
>>9019076
How a phd and just leanr more and more math until i become a braingod?
>>
>>9017961

or just use your math degree to get a finance job and make 200k straight out of undergrad?
>>
>2017
>Not being an EE
Jej
kek
lel
geg
lol
heh
vev
bur
rer
ses
fef
>>
>>9019136
>Being EE
Anon, they dont make that much
>>
>>9019145
90k starting isn't bad and you have to put effort into NOT having a job out of college around here.
>>
>>9019151
Cant you get outspurced in the future? Thats what Im worrying about

What are you studying anon? Could you recommend any field?
>>
File: 1338314150079.jpg (9KB, 241x230px) Image search: [Google]
1338314150079.jpg
9KB, 241x230px
>>9019064
kek'ed
>>
File: 1497955150244.jpg (15KB, 424x301px) Image search: [Google]
1497955150244.jpg
15KB, 424x301px
>>9018314
>tfw 9 milliion dollars can sustain you for ~25 lifetimes in my country
>>
>>9019155
if EE can be outsourced, so can absolutely everything else in existence
at that point, it really doesn't matter what you do, as the shitting streets will have become every street
>>
Just do statistics you stupid troglodyte
>>
>>9017961
lol i got two big jobs within my first 8 months after graduating and that was with a 3.3
the problem is you
>>
>>9019076
see
>>9020091
>>
>>9020030
Why couldnt it be outsourced?
>>
>>9019151
>muh jobs

That's a meme nowadays: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/electrical-and-electronics-engineers.htm
>>
>>9021418
Not where I am.
>>
>>9019136
EE is boring as fuck, enless you are talking about ecology and evolution.
>>
>>9020030
I hope you experience being too impoverished to have somewhere decent to shit. Those people shiting in the streets are they capital they use to dye the fabric you are wearing.
>>
>>9017961
>fell for the math degree meme

>>9021418 >>9019136
>EE

It's funny how pure meth fags hate applied fields, which are more employable.

OP could be employed now in Software Industry if OP had a minor in Computer Science.

>>9019079
Math graduates can still get some financial job such Accountant/Book Keeper without a PhD.
Of course OP should have a Minor in Finance or Economics.

>Grad School
A Low GPA in Math is useless because you can not get into a Grad School with a Low GPA.

If you have high GPA then fine you can get into a Grad School with Scholarship.

Math Graduate School has Very High Drop Out rates just like Undergraduate Engineering.

So even if you go to Math Grad School, you still has a high risk of Failure.

It's why a backup Plan B is very important.
The Plan B is minor.

The minor should be an employable applied field.
>>
>>9021786
Can you explain how minors make someone employable? I keep reading that minors are pretty much worthless in any industry, as employers will always prefer someone with a bachelor rather than a minor. You're the first one I see who suggests otherwise.
>>
>>9017961 >>9021786 >>9021799
>I'll explain below

Many minors could be useful in Research but Should be done Only when you have 100% confidence that you will get accepted into Grad school.

A Minor in Physics could open the doors for Research in Theoretical & Mathematical Physics.

For Example: Linguistics, Psychology, Philosophy & Foreign language could be useful to Research Artificial Intelligence.

Philosophy could be useful for those who can get into Law School.

Chemistry, Biology or ChemE could be useful for those who can get into Medical School.

However if you have a Low GPA these minors will not help you to get employed.

A better employable Plan B should be a Minor in:
(1) Computer Science to Work as Programmar
(2) Finance/Economics to Work as BusinessMan
(3) Statistics

There are also other options to consider that I didn't mentioned.
>>
>>9021809
is this that ugly reddit spacing? and what is up with that capitalization?
>>
Summary >>9021799

Employable Plan B should be:
Double Major in > Minor in:
(1) Computer Science to Work as Programmar
(2) Business/Finance/Economics to Work as BusinessMan
(3) Statistics

Double Major is more safe guaranteed than just Minor.

A Minor in Engineering may be useless.
However a Double major in Engineering could save your Life.

Engineering are one of most employable STEM fields.
Just be careful to don't choose meme Engineering areas.
As for example Biomedical E which would require Graduate Degree.
Just a Biomedical BSc is useless & will make you unemployed.
>>
>>9021816
You can tell someone hasn't gone to college when they still don't know subjects start with capital letters.
>>
>>9021818
>>9021809
How much does a minor add to college?
I mean, let's say to get a bachelor I need 100%. I'd assume a double bachelor would take 200% time. How much would a ba+minor take? 110%? 125%?
>>
>>9021824
about 110% (usually adds a semester)
>>
>>9018407
Did web dev internship last summer, can confirm.
>>
>Not double majoring math and statistics
>Not going into finance or becoming an actuary
Are you a meme
>>
>>9017961
You could at the very least become a math teacher in secondary education. Not a great job but definitely better than working at McDonald's.
>>
>>9018314
Why the Missouri hate man? At least we're not West Virginia or Iowa.
>>
>>9018314
You must be a poorfag from a very expensive country like Switzerland or Monaco to see things this way.
I'm sorry for you.
>>
>>9021822
>Research
>Should
>Only
>minors (but also Minor; inconsistent)
>Example
that post was Shit
>>
>>9021818
What are some good double major combinations for high employment under the instance I don't want to be a statician or businessperson?

I was thinking EE and CS double, but would it just be better to just do CE? Double engineering sounds interesting too, but how difficult would that be, and what are good doubles to pursue?
>>
>>9022768
double majoring is completely unnecessary, don't listen to that moron.
make yourself employable for what you want to be, and you'll get the job. this involves taking relevant courses, doing projects, and doing internships.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.