[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody think it's possible to selectively breed ants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: images (2).jpg (6KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
6KB, 280x180px
Does anybody think it's possible to selectively breed ants to make a race of ants that police.can use to find drugs? I'm a criminal justice student and I wanna know if police can one day place a colony of ants by a home and these ants look for cocaine or drugs and take it bag to the colony where the police collect the evidence? Do you think it's possible and would this evidence hold up in court? Do you think a cop would need a warrant to send in ants. What are some other ways humans could weaponize ants?
>>
http://mentalfloss.com/article/65709/honeybees-trained-sniff-out-drugs

I dunno, maybe. Honeybees are bigger than ants, but still.
>>
>>9008550
It's him.

If you're from /an/ or /k/ you should know
>>
>>9008619
Wut
>>
>>9008550
oh fucking shit it's this guy
>>
>>9008648
What guy
>>
>>9008550
This is impossible because the insects would get intoxicated on the drugs, you have to remember insect skin is different than other animals and is less of a barrier to substances (particularly because they need to breathe through their skin so its permeable to more shit) and the insects will easily absorb the drug through their skin and then their behavior will be affected.

They'll be way too high to exhibit any kind of ordered behavior if they don't die outright, this will never work unless you can breed some kind of cocaine-resistant ant
>>
>>9009261
>(particularly because they need to breathe through their skin so its permeable to more shit)
yea that's not true. Insect exoskeletons are not more permeable than mammalian skin. Everything you said could apply to drug dogs if that were true
>>
>>9008550
If you want to uncover more evidence of drug use to incriminate users, hair test is probably the safest bet, you'd be looking for long-lived metabolites that make it into hair strands, however this is only feasible with heroin, opiates, and tetrahydrocannibinol (marijuana).

Amphetamines metabolize into levmethamphetamine and later into methyl ester compounds and are indistinguishable from common decongestants past a certain stage.

Cocaine metabolizes into benzoylecgonine which won't make it to hair strands, but may be detectable in skin flakes and bodily fluids for a time. If cocaine is consumed with alcohol the liver will combine both in a special reaction into cocaethylene which breaks down into water and formaldehyde (like all alcohols) and thus hides the use of cocaine.

Animals being able to "smell" drugs is unreliable based on the most recent scientific studies. Animals can also be trained to bark on command and this has been used as evidence against their use in trials, dogs being able to sniff out drugs is mostly a morally-pleasant myth by officers trying to scrape together usefulness to defend their canine companions in the force whose maintenance and training unfortunately costs more than training a human policeman.
>>
>>9009267
Thickness of animal skin vs thickness of insect exoskeleton.

Dog skin thickness = measured in cm
insect skin thickness = measured in mm
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
>>9009267
>>
>>9008550
bump because i hate police dogs and i hope OP accidentally hits a dog during a routine traffic stop and is given a felony for assault of an officer lmao
>>
>>9008550
>criminal justice student
>pushing the war on drugs
you are the problem. Drug addicts need a doctor not a criminal record.
>>
>>9010672
You dumbass. The drug war is a hoax. It's a race war.
>>
>>9008550
Antkeeper here. IMO the main probelm would be to selectively breed ants at all.
It's not realy easy. Most fertilized queens sold are caught in the wild because getting a colony to hatch young queens and males is hard and takes several years.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.