[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What math do I need for /crypto/ & what do security guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: k.jpg (600KB, 1112x1024px) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
600KB, 1112x1024px
I am studying a discrete mathematics book and am enjoying it thoroughly. The book teaches a bit of number theory/linear algebra, combinatorics, probability etc. I really enjoy the sections on number theory and algebra.

What kind of math should I focus on for crypto? What industries (besides government) hire security guys? The problems I have is anytime I check for security jobs/go to meets up around security it's very different than what I am interested in.

I don't know how to describe it but they're all about firewalls, linux, OSes, and work as security analyst at tech companies...

I'm more interested in academic stuff... not that.. so any sort of ideas on where my interest might lead to in some industry?
>>
bump pls. I'd like to know as well
>>
>>9005006
Algebraic Number Theory
>>
>>9005006
Get an internship at the NSA
>>
Keep your focus on algebra. No matter what you are going to do, you will need that. After doing a lot of algebra and number theory you will go one of two ways:
>analytic number theory
For this you will need analysis, so definitely look into that.
>arithmetic geometry
For this you will need even more (commutative) algebra and algebraic geometry.

In either case you need more algebra and number theory. Use Rosen for number theory to make sure you have the basics, and use Dummit & Foote, Artin, or some other algebra book to get your algebra.
>>
>what do security guys do at tech companies?

They check people's ID at the door.
I don't think they need any math above being able to read a clock...

Good luck in your new career!
>>
>>9005471
Excellent advice, I saved this.

>Use Rosen for number theory to make sure you have the basics, and use Dummit & Foote, Artin, or some other algebra book to get your algebra.

Sweet. I've been using Rosen over the summer. Number theory starts to crop up in section 1.7-1.8 (7th ed). then there is an entire chapter dedicated to it. This is how I discovered I really like this stuff. I'll do as you say, once I am done with Rosen I'll move on to Algebra with Dummit & Foote.
>>
>>9005493
He wasn't talking about Rosen's baby discrete math book for high schoolers.
>>
>>9005006
number theory, abstract algebra(finite field theory), and if u wanna go deeper into the rabbit hole, elliptic curves
>>
>>9005526
Thanks,

What book recommendations do you have?
>>
>>9005526
a nice starter book would be
Introduction to Cryptography with Coding Theory by trappe and washington

Gallian's Abstract Algebra book may be of assistance and all the number theory you need will be in the rosen book and trappe book

once ur comfortable with everything u can move on to
Guide to Elliptic Curve Cryptography by menezes, hankerson and vanstone
by then you should be up to ur gills in knowledge of modern crypto
>>
>>9005527
>>9005533
response meant for
>>
>>9005534
Thanks, when you mention Rosen's book do you mean: Elementary Number Theory and Its Application, 6th Edition ?

For Gallian is the 7th edition ok? Just remembered a friend gave me that book.
>>
>>9005752
the number theory in the discrete math book of his is enough, but u may want to brush up on probabilities/expected values etc, and information theory is always a bonus, shannon was enormous in this regard, and the 7th edition of gallian is fine just find the answers to the exercises somewhere on the internets
>>
>>9005006
Crypto guys aren't necessarily security guys. Many security guys know about crypto and code to make sure its implemented safely/correctly and many crypto guys know only the math and just enough cs to make sure the math is translated into the computer properly
>>
>>9006331
Excellent, thank you.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.