[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm having abit of trouble understanding the how depth and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4791.jpg (46KB, 475x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4791.jpg
46KB, 475x310px
I'm having abit of trouble understanding the how depth and pressure impact electricity used at great depths and would appreciate some help regarding this.
For example say that there are cables used for electricity located at depths of 0m, 10 m, 50 m and 1000m, how much will things change and what equation can be used to calculate this?

Also would it take more elecricity to operate a pump at a greater depth than it would just under the surface ?
>>
you dont understand electricity at all, huh?
>>
I don't think the pressure affects the electrical conduction at all, or at least very little.
>>
>>9004929
Not much if at all. It would probably take more energy to operate a pump at a greater depth cause the cable would need to be longer
>>
>>9005794
No, I don't.

>>9005794
>>9005799
>>9005801
So you're saying that there is no (or at least negligible) impact on electricity flowing from great depths?

How about the pump example in terms of pressure, not just electricity?
>>
>>9005819
It depends on the flow rate and pressure differential the pump is making. I guess there might be some change if the bearings are filed with gas or something
>>
>>9005826
Okay so how about one end is "open" and there is about 10 m of water above it and this pumps into a place where 50m of water is above it?

Also how do you calculate the quantity
in electricity required to satisfy pumping at this pressure differential?

Flow rate can be anything but must stay constant
>>
>>9005853
oh that's easy you assume flow rate is zero, then it takes zero power. Done
>>
>>9005944
okay.

*flow rate must be 100L/s
>>
>>9005853
what's the scenario here? are you going from one tank to another?
>>
>>9005973
from one tank into the ocean
OR
from one tank into another big ass freshwater (i.e.not saltwater) tank
>>
>>9005974
>from one tank into the ocean

just pour it in, I don't understand

>from one tank into another big ass freshwater (i.e.not saltwater) tank

You calculate pressure differential, get a pump that's rated for that differential at your desired flow-rate, look at the power rating of the pump and efficiency at your operating conditions, go from there. there's a million online application guides for this.
>>
File: Untitled.png (11KB, 819x460px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
11KB, 819x460px
>>9005985
>>9005973
this is the scenario

Now, before you tell me how useless and impractical this is, I know.

I just need to understand what kind of numbers are involved

Yes, i understand you could get rid of the wall and just let the water flow together.
Yes i understand there is no need for a pump here.

please, just answer my question without any stupid remarks as to how dumb of a scenario this is.
>>
>>9005997
***TO CLARIFY*** the soil is impermeable ( or even just a concrete/plasitc slab)
>>
>>9005997
>>9005998

you've got you answer in part two of my post. look at

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/other/games/depth_press

calculate pressure at 10 meters, then the pressure at 50 meters. that gives you the differential you'll be pumping against.

then google "<pessure> pump at <flow rate>" and you'll probably find something.

once you find a pump that will do it, look at the input power rating. that's your answer.

you might have more success looking at "head" instead of "pressure rating" - if that's the case, multiply your pressure differential from above by 2.31 to get approx head in ft.
>>
>>9006006
Pressure in psi times 2.31 - sorry, forgot units there
>>
>>9006006
ok thanks
>>
brumpf
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.