[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the heck did they do it? They have some secret transformer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: AstroWhip.png.jpg (189KB, 720x1149px) Image search: [Google]
AstroWhip.png.jpg
189KB, 720x1149px
How the heck did they do it?
They have some secret transformer shit going on or what?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aDSYTMqyQw&list=PLTu8nanTJo7GvulBxz9JT9JcXeXimM1Vr&index=6

Basically they used a clever way to fold the rover and pack it in a compartment outside the LEM. Also, my eng sucks hard.
>>
>>9003212
Out of all the conspiracy-loonie shit arguing against the moon-landing, this has to be by far the dumbest.
>>
What was even the point of driving a go-kart around on the moon?
>>
>>9003242
>why would explorers want a vehicle that gives them increased range for exploring?

Really firing up my neurons here, anon
>>
>>9003248
Fucking walk you lazy fucks
>>
>>9003242
to drive a fucking gocart around the moon fuck you mean what was the point bitch?
>>
>>9003225
Op here.
Okay, I'll watch it. Thanks.
>>
File: 1485648003906s.jpg (2KB, 104x124px) Image search: [Google]
1485648003906s.jpg
2KB, 104x124px
>>9003212
g=MG/R^2
>>
>>9003242
>What was even the point of driving a go-kart around on the moon?

because back in the day people weren't utter shit and when they did things it wasn't the absolute shittiest they could get away with doing.

Bringing a car to the moon was freaking amazing and that was a good enough reason to do it.
>>
>>9003242
because the entire mission was for dickwaving and prestige, and driving a car on the moon is a lot of dickwaving
>>
File: A11vsFootball.gif (167KB, 2363x1771px) Image search: [Google]
A11vsFootball.gif
167KB, 2363x1771px
>>9003242
To expand the range of the mission.
>>9003249
That's pretty hard to do in a spacesuit. Walking means more energy and oxygen expenditure by astronauts. In addition if something goes wrong with the suit, you can't haul ass back to get the hell out of there.

You can't really walk on the moon, you have to hop.
>>
>>9003242
Buggy could go faster than an astronaut could walk, and didn't get tired,saving astronaut energy for doing work other than walking.

If nothing else, any astronaut exertion burns more oxygen, and the amount of oxygen in the backpack was one of the limiting factors on how long they could stay on the surface excursions and collect samples and set up experiments.
>>
>>9003212
The rover would fold in half with the wheels tucked in. Basically a pull cable would be used by the astronaut to easily pull the rover out from its compartment, and springs would unfold the rover as the astronaut pulled.

It was all carefully designed with the limitations of the astronaut's suits in mind, and extensively tested and simulated.

For example, did you know the ladder on the lander wouldn't actually work on earth? It is too lightweight to hold a person's weight. But under the lesser gravity of the moon, it could safely carry a person + suit. The ladder only needed to be strong enough to survive launch, every ounce after that that could possibly be saved was carefully calculated to waste absolutely as little as possible. Fitting in a rover was comparatively easy with regards to most of the rest of the designing that went into the mission.

>>9003242
Being able to increase accessible surface area greatly increased the variety of moon samples that could be gathered and returned. More range means more variety of samples means more science.
>>
>>9003212
>americans are so lazy they can't walk even on a low gravity world.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.