[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>You show up on day one and find out you've been assigned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: index.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>You show up on day one and find out you've been assigned to the performance team within the processor design division. You find out you'll be modeling the performance of processors and ensuring that the latest and greatest works properly. The realization that you're actually not going to be designing much hits hard, but you're still new and optimistic so you rationalize it as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Everyone has to get his feet wet somehow.

You start working and nobody is really quite sure what to do with you. You're told you'll be put on several different projects, none of which seem to be coming to fruition. Eventually after you've completed all the mandatory training and get sick of browsing reddit for hours on end for days or weeks your boss finally comes to you with a project. Finally, your time to shine.

You find out you're going to be modeling the performance of a new feature. You have to use some existing tool that's more or less been written already. He tells you to talk to Charlie, who you don't really know, for help. Your boss likely has little technical background and can't directly help you. You approach Charlie about the project and he tells you he's busy and in the middle of something. No worries, it's near the end of the day - you'll just check in with him tomorrow.
>>
>cont
Tomorrow comes and you ask Charlie for help. He responds with very curt, unhelpful answers such as "read the documentation" or "check out this article" or "I think Bill knows something about that, but he works remotely" almost as if he's saying "screw off newbie, don't bother me." You're a bit lost as how to progress so you start reading the aforementioned documentation. It's pages upon pages of useless (to you) information with possibly what you're looking for buried somewhere in there. You shoot Bill an email asking for help.

Days and weeks pass. You've read the documentation and you're more confused than ever. You sit through some meetings and say nothing. You also have no idea what they're talking about. Bill never responds in any meaningful way. Maybe he attached a PDF of the document you already read. Charlie is similarly useless.

One day at a meeting they ask you how your project is going. You're a bit startled because in the many meetings you've been to thus far you've never been asked for input. You stumble through an answer that sounds like you're making solid progress and Charlie chimes in making it sound like he's been helping you the whole way. But it's clear that you're not as far as you should be.

After the meeting your boss pulls you aside and asks you what's the hold up. You're new and don't want to make enemies so you're reluctant to throw Charlie and Bill under the bus. Never mind that they won't hesitate a second to do so to you. Your boss tells you that you need to get it done by X because so and so is waiting on it.

You spend countless days fumbling around with this tool and finally realize to simulate the processor you will be basically modifying some input that's passed to the tool. You won't be solving any interesting problems, you just update some parameter and record the results in Excel. Rinse and repeat for the entire day.
>>
pretty big wall of text

tl;dr?
>>
Eventually one of the simulations crashes. Your boss tells you whoever developed the tool is long gone and you have to fix it yourself. You once again ask Bill and Charlie for assistance and are promptly ignored. You poke through the code and eventually find some bug in it. You correct it and you continue running your simulations. You compile a lengthy list of performance metrics and send it off to your boss.

Youre back to having nothing to do. You hope that the next project will be a bit more engaging. And you hope that you'll be able to work with some better people. Finally your boss tells you he has a new project for you - more of the same. Great.

All those differential equations you solved in college? Electromagnetic fields? Doing interesting, efficient things in assembly? Working with actual hardware? Forget all that, you're the next Excel God. This sucks.

You stick with it for a while and keep smiling. Your bosses think you're happy. They keep commenting about how hard it is to retain new employees. They ask you for advice and to maybe help solve the problem. You're afraid of telling the truth that the system and your coworkers suck so you just go through the motions and make "safe" recommendations like hosting happy hours.

Around a year you say screw this and start looking for a new job. Maybe the next one will be a lot more interesting. Maybe not. You finally find something and give your two weeks notice. Your boss is shocked! You clearly loved recording performance metrics in Excel and occasionally bug hunting in some C code. You can hardly wait to get out of there.
>>
>>9000579
tl:dr

got fucked by retarded upper management and cuckold co-workers
>>
This is what happens when you hand your civilization over to Jews, Asians, and Indians. They turn your idyllic Rome into a global sweatshop. Do something about it, or shut the the fuck up with your whining.
>>
File: 1498268505062.gif (16KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1498268505062.gif
16KB, 750x750px
>>9000584
So what?
You're the only one responsible for yourself.
You think anyone owes you anything?
>>
>he fell for the "bachelors is the terminal degree for engineers" meme
>>
>>9000569
>>9000576

so...you're pretty much a brainlet?
>>
>>9000635
wonder op's gpa
>>
>>9000638

seeing as the post stinks of reddit I'd imagine he's sub 2.0
>>
>>9000581
>All those differential equations you solved in college?
100% brainlet.
You were fed some methods for blindly solving equations so you think you're smart?
>>
>>9000581
thanks for the interesting story.
how about going back to uni / learning new things you can qualify for a better job with?
>>
>>9000569
You sound like a pussy bitch OP. I have never met you but I hate you, eat shit.
>>
This was literally my life until I went back for my Phd.

Don't fall for the white collar meme guys. Even in engineering you will still be shuffling excel sheets while Chad is getting promotions by taking credit for your work.
>>
Jesus christ Op you just kicked my ass into gear about getting my life on track.

All you engineers here on /sci/ who brag about how hard your dif eq classes are, this will literally be your life. You won't be designing airplanes, or chips or anything cool. You will be a cuck.
>>
>>9000569
Are you that guy that works at Intel who always shits on everyone else for having a tough time in the job market?

Because that would be some delicious irony.
>>
>>9000923
There is no gear other than nepotism that will make you avoid ops scenario
>>
>>9000569
>get sick of browsing reddit for hours on end for days or weeks
Found your problem.
Why aren't you spending your down time going through your libgen textbook collection, or writing code to tackle the problems you ACTUALLY want to solve?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.