[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, ATP-Synthase synthesis ATP through a mechanism of rotational

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: fatpase-structure-dmz_0.png (40KB, 300x218px) Image search: [Google]
fatpase-structure-dmz_0.png
40KB, 300x218px
So, ATP-Synthase synthesis ATP through a mechanism of rotational catalysis: if the gamma subunit rotates in one direction ATP and if it rotates in the other direction ATP is hydrolized. A really beautiful mechanism!

But why the hydrolysis of ATP doesn't pump protons to the other side? And what if the intermembrane space is more basic than the mitrocondrial matrix, would the synthase hydrolyse ATP using the downhill pump of protons because the gamma subunit would be turning the other way? (Of course the downhill pump of protons it's not necessary energetically to hydrolyse ATP but in mechanic ways it makes sense to me)
>>
>>9000200
Thank fuck I only need to understand small bits of photosynthesis. I pity the fools who have to study this in detail..
>>
>>9000200
Statistical mechanics here, ignorant of details of actual mechanisms.
Cranking the ATP pump with a chemical gradient doesn't mean destroying ATP must pump the gradient. Your exchanging internal energy to work twice, loosing heat in the process.
If the system was perfectly reversible you would have a perpetuum mobile of the second kind.
>>
>>9000200
>But why the hydrolysis of ATP doesn't pump protons to the other side?
They're statistically unlikely to due to the gradient.
>And what if the intermembrane space is more basic than the mitrocondrial matrix, would the synthase hydrolyse ATP using the downhill pump of protons because the gamma subunit would be turning the other way? (Of course the downhill pump of protons it's not necessary energetically to hydrolyse ATP but in mechanic ways it makes sense to me)
Yes actually.
>>
>>9000200
stop talking about "gamma subunits" when you clearly don't understand the most basic concepts of biology. What you're asking is honestly middle school level.

Shortly put,
ATP-synthase is a form of passive transport, it's a transporter that transports molecules/ions (ions in this case) without (directly) requiring ATP to function. It's able to do this as the H+ is transported along with the H+ gradiƫnt. Remember osmosis?

Ofcourse the H+ gradiƫnt has to be sustained. That's the job of the 3 membrane complexes (and 2 mobile carriers) that form the electron transport route and is also the reason why you need the initial energy that is created by your krebs cycle.
>>
>>9001565
Not statistically unlikely, literally impossible.

ATP-synthase is not a form of channeled transport (which you're probably confusing it with somehow)
>>
File: voetvoet.png (14KB, 286x84px) Image search: [Google]
voetvoet.png
14KB, 286x84px
>>9001602 Really? Actually I think you misunderstood what I said. I know the Fo domain does not require ATP to function, buddy. But if the mitrochondrial matrix is in the same pH that the intermembrane space, the F1 domain may hydrolyze ATP and pump H+ outside. Voet's Biochemistry can confirm what I said. (page 858, 4th edition)
>>
>>9001754
This should only happen in bacteria under anaerobic conditions where the Krebs cycle isn't running. I don't understand what purpose it would serve though unless it creates a positive atp synthesis balance. Since I've never heard of it happening in animal cells it most likely isn't that energetically favorable.
>>
>>9001754
... the screenshot you show is an F-type ATP-ase.

The V-type ATP-ase that you see in mitochondrias could theoretically change to an F-type pump but then it'd require ATP to function which is counter productive and not possible in this situation.

If the electron transport route stops functioning due to a defect (not sure if that's even possible without the cell going in apoptosis), then the H+ gradient will cease to exist and the pH will be isotone (neutral).

There is literally no purpose in using ATP to pump H+ into the matrix of the mitochondria. It'd actually just kill the organel and it'd just waste ATP for no reason. So it will not do that as it won't get signalled to do so.
>>
The motor protein complex for prokaryotic flagellum uses the same pH gradient mechanism to spin so it's kind of like an atp synthase stuck in reverse.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.