[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When we dream, why does it authentically feel like we dream for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1489031237398.png (7KB, 325x344px) Image search: [Google]
1489031237398.png
7KB, 325x344px
When we dream, why does it authentically feel like we dream for hours and hours in this long pisode of a dream when in reality it only lasted for like 20 minutes or so?

Before getting woken up, I slept for like less than an hour, but in my mind, in my dream, it genuinely felt like it lasted for a day or so.

It's beyond my comprehension.
>>
>>8998311
because your perception of the passage of time is mediated by chemical systems that change when you sleep.

part of a field sobriety test is asking a person to count thirty seconds in their head, if they are intoxicated they might have trouble doing this accurately

I kind of think it's like when you are sleeping your brain is like a wheel spinning with zero friction, just perpetuating itself by itself at it's own rate, while when you are awake your brain is a wheel pulling you along a road.

Also haven't you noticed when you are having fun time goes by so much quicker?
>>
Another question would be, why do dreams feel 100% as authentic as our consciousness does in this base reality?

There's a part of me that thinks, if it doea feel one hundred percent real, then in a certain way maybe ithe is.

Maybe our minds function in two different ways: one in their dream world and one in the base reality world - but both are just as real as the other
>>
>>8998311
Bump
>>
>>8998329
yes

maybe there are really two universes

each one you feel like is real one when you are in it

right now you feel this one is real and the other one is fake

and you remember being in the other one now but you know that was fake

but then when you sleep

that one will feel real just like this one does now

and you have the same memory of this one being fake

i guess we might never know because in whichever universe we are in we can never know of the other one without being in the other one
>>
>>8998311
whats the s thing

i seen it somewhere before
>>
>>8999084
could explain why time feels slower when dreaming
like you're awake in this universe for 16 hours and asleep for 8 hours
but those 8 hours are actually 16 hours in dream universe
and the other 8 are when you're asleep in dream universe so awake in wake universe
>>
>>8999084
In this case, what if you die or are dying in your dreams(the other universe)?

What would you dream about in future dreams, unless if you're implying there is a multiverse.
Even if that's the case, my question would still stand: what if all instances of your dream body would die?
>>
>>8998326
If our perception of time is mediated by chemical systems, could there exist a way to alter these systems to our benefit?

Could we, instead of find a way to live longer, alter our perception of time so that we percieve our lives to be longer without catastrophically interfering with other functions? Is there any research on this?
>>
>>8998329
>Another question would be, why do dreams feel 100% as authentic as our consciousness does in this base reality?
Because your dream self is most often stupid as fuck
>>
>>8999982
U know it'sl ike that guy said. I do not know if I am dreaming I am a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming I am a man [spoilers]you are a man dreaming you area butteryfly[/spoilers]
>>
File: 1494517328330.jpg (34KB, 500x457px) Image search: [Google]
1494517328330.jpg
34KB, 500x457px
>>8998311
I've wondered this myself for a long time now. I don't think it has quite as much to do with perception of time passing as most seem to think, though that probably does play some role.

I think there are two things that play a significant role. The brain processes certain information much faster, allowing you to experience more things per second. Much of these processes are not stored to memory, leading to scenes changing drastically from decision to decision.

But I think what plays the largest role is false memories of how you find yourself in a particular dreamt environment. You find yourself in a given place, and when pondering on a certain aspect you vaguely "remember" related events which led you there and which drive your intentions and decisions.

These are just my thoughts, though I have looked into into a bunch and they seem to vibe well with a lot that I've read.
>>
>>9001126
these don't seem mutually exclusive. Given that there are potentially infinite events which cause a particular string of experiences, it isn't about the underlying structure but the experience itself. No?
>>
>>9002946
I feel like this makes a lot of sense actually, but what could this mean?
Could this mean that smarter people would technically have seemingly longer dreams, despite having similar amounts of sleep due to their brains being able to process faster than others?
>>
>>8998311
Just think of going to sleep as putting your game on pause and coming back to it later.
>>
>>8998311
When your brain is half asleep, the conscious mind begins to lose a grip on identity, and in this state, the subconscious mind tends to "weave elaborate tales" to fill in the gaps. This psychological factor, coupled with the classic neurological factor of random synapses firing, leads to cross associations of concepts and memories forming random patterns that make up our dreams, usually centering on whichever centers were last in heaviest activity.

The result is that your brain is, effectively, pulling a story together from various sources, creating new memories, instantly, creating a false past and present in the artificial world we call a "dream". It is thus entirely possible for a lengthy dream to take place in an extremely short period of time. You often aren't experiencing dreams in real time, particularly in deep REM sleep, rather, you've assembled a memory of an event that never took place.

Similar to how a book or series can cover generations of characters, but only take a few hours to watch or read. It's assembled information that covers the breadth of a time. Dreams, while not always formed in this fashion, quite often are, so there's little to no limit to how long they may seem.
>>
>>8998329
>Maybe our minds function in two different ways: one in their dream world and one in the base reality world - but both are just as real as the other
Reality is a shared experience. No one else can view your dreams, they are entirely internal, so much like your imaginary waifu, they aren't real.

Unless, of course, you dream you ate a giant marshmallow, and wake up with your pillow missing.
>>
>>9002999
This is completely false.

It's more that when you dream you are thinking of something definite (processing information perhaps), and your mind visualizes the information it in the way that you are used to seeing things as when you are awake, kind of like in a movie. When you are awake you for some reason stop thinking about whatever it was and pretend it wasn't real.

What you see may not make sense when looked at out of context, but when looked at in a certain way makes perfect sense.

How, exactly? It has to do with swapping the figurative and the literal. For example a pen, both in the figurative and literal sense, is that with which you could write, argue or express ideas with. So a literal pen that you see when awake might be a cylindrical thing with a tip you write, whereas the figurative pen of the mind (as in "the pen is mightier than the sword") might be visualized in a dream as a literal pen.
>>
>>8998329
>Another question would be, why do dreams feel 100% as authentic as our consciousness does in this base reality?

Have you never realised in a dream that you are dreaming? Happened to me a couple times.
I literally thought "I am in a dream so I can do anything" and I just started flying around and shit
>>
>>8998326
>field sobriety test

The first failure of a field sobriety test is taking part in a field sobriety test. Only drunk people do that.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.