[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>quantum computing Is this a meme? Give me the quick theoretical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: 1395539128158.jpg (48KB, 506x337px) Image search: [Google]
1395539128158.jpg
48KB, 506x337px
>quantum computing
Is this a meme? Give me the quick theoretical rundown on quantum computing.
>>
bumping my thread. so we have something like an entangled system in a very large number of superpositions, each representing a different state of a turing machine solving the same problem. am i getting somewhere?
>>
You cannot appreciate quantum computing without basic understanding of linear algebra, statistics, and quantum theory (formerly known as ``mechanics''). Any ``rundown'' would be wasted on you.
>>
>>8998291
Basically this. Linear algebra in particular. But quantum computers, if pulled off, would be revolutionary. Database search in root(n) time. Integer factoring in polynomial time. Next level shit.
>>
>>8998295
What do you mean ``pulled off''? Quantum computers are already reality and are widely used to simulate strongly correlated systems.
>>
>>8998225
>quick rundown on quantum computing
>in contact with electrons
>possess integer factoring abilities
>etc.
>>
https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/the-talk-3
>>
Basically:

Regular computers use systems that are best described by discrete mathematics to perform discrete mathematics. Quantum computers use systems that are best described by linear algebra to perform linear algebra.

Computable problems can be solved using either of these methods. The linear algebra method can solve every problem just as fast as the discrete method because regular computers are basically a special case of quantum computers (no superposition or interference), in fact a lot of the time the fastest way of solving a problem is the same in both cases. However, sometimes the linear algebra method can be used to solve a problem much faster, this is interesting and potentially very useful.
>>
>>8998249
SORT of

A bunch of quantum algorithms do start by putting the system into a superposition of every possible state. The hard part is manipulating the quantum phases such that the correct answer is spat out at the end.
>>
>>8998291
I have a degree you giant autist
>>
>>8998347
Yeah the "hard part" is where I can't see past. Why I made this thread. What's being done to understand or solve that part of the problem?
>>
>>8998302
Not that anon but it's not feasible to factor integers in polynomial time yet. You use the word *widely* carelessly.
>>
>>8998503
For what, history?
>>
>>8998678
BS Physics. Comp sci minor. MS Math. Feel free to go fuck yourself with any of them.
>>
>>8998688
Sounds like you need to go back to school then.
>>
>>8998691
What do you get out of this argument?
>>
>>8998696
Your tears of frustration.
>>
>>8998699
What method are you using to confirm your bias?
>>
>>8998704
The scientific method.
>>
It's a very memetic meme. "Quantum" is science slang for "we don't know". Quantum computing hence means doing computations without knowing what you're doing.
>>
>>8998714
Lol you got it
>>
>>8998699

Another guy that likes the taste of salty fluids. Come here my /pol bro and open wide. Plug your nose though, I haven't showered in days
>>
>>8998691
t. knowitall undergrad

an honor to post in the same thread as you
>>
>>8998225
Its a meme, decoherence is a bitch.
>>
>>8998507
It really depends on the problem and often just requires some kind of inspiration tbqhwy.

Shor's algorithm uses something called a quantum fourier transform to achieve this but other algorithms use pretty different methods.
>>
File: The+record+of+the+past.png (294KB, 899x528px) Image search: [Google]
The+record+of+the+past.png
294KB, 899x528px
>>8998225
Team at USC ran Shor's algorithm in diamond successfully in 2012.
>http://news.usc.edu/27023/quantum-computer-built-inside-a-diamond/
Quantum decryption of classical encryption has almost certainly been possible for years among the intelligencia that took note of the significance of this result, and probably other comparable results around that time.
>APRIL 5, 2012
>>
Grover's algorithm apparently
>>
>>8998225
>Give me the quick theoretical rundown on quantum computing.

It would make graphics cards the likes of which you have never seen, nor imagined.
>>
>>8998844
Read all about it at
alt.conspiracy.black.helicopters
>>
>>8998295
The field most benefitted by quantum algorithms is security.
>>
>>8998225
It is a meme, it's usually roped in when talking about finding a replacement for silicon chips, but in all reality the only good it would do is to really fuck with faggot ass programers
>>
honestly i think 3D IC designs for CPUs utilizing memristors along with plasmon-based amplifier analogous to the transistor, with holographic storage, is going to be more scalable than quantum computing for a little while due to the need for low temps in superocnducting material.
>>
>>8998954
>alt.conspiracy.black.helicopters

Hi CIA.

Sound dampening by phase inversion, yes?
>>
File: QC.png (51KB, 431x380px) Image search: [Google]
QC.png
51KB, 431x380px
>>8999133
I think there's a good argument that the field most benefited by a surprise quantum computer appearing years ahead of expectations would be anti-security.
>~
>~
>~
>~
Also, here is an unrelated paper that I though was good.
>An introduction to boson-sampling
>https://arxiv.org/pdf/1406.6767.pdf
>>
>>8998844
On how big of a number?
>>
>>8998314
I like this. I've been trying to figure out how they took advantage of a superposition. I still don't understand it but this makes a lot more sense. I also chuckled a few times
>>
>>8999133
>>8999327
It really goes both ways. Quantum computing means integer factorization, discrete log, elliptic curve discrete log, AES, and probably others that I'm not too familiar with are broken. Obviously, this would be horrible for security.

However, we already have ideas for post-quantum cryptosystems. Take a look at lattices, for example. A surprise quantum computer would mess our communications up for a short while but then I believe researchers would unite to establish post quantum cryptosystems, leading to an ultimately more secure digital world.
>>
>>8998225
So basically physicist-shamans think one particle moving can magically make another particle move without transferring any energy. And they think they can use that to make a computer. Because physicists just want better ways to view hentai
>>
>>8999639
This is completely wrong
>>
>>8998225
read about Pan's work
>>
>>8998810
>>>8998810
quantun fourier transform

Jeezus Chris't I feel like a brainlet.
>>
>>8998844
NV centers, Hell yeah.
>>
>>8999606
/x/ territory here, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NSA already has one.
>>
Quantum computers have some very useful properties that make it possible to solve some problems that are exceptionally hard to regular computers in a heartbeat.

The biggest problem however is realizing high quality qbits. If someone could manage to get a good number of high quality qbits though it would be nothing more than a revolution in computing.
>>
>>9000321
>realizing high quality qbits
Can you tell me more about this?
>>
File: 1498503665369.gif (4MB, 490x476px) Image search: [Google]
1498503665369.gif
4MB, 490x476px
>>8999193
nobody got a say against this?
>>
File: The_Living_God.png (550KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
The_Living_God.png
550KB, 480x800px
>>8999606
>it really goes both ways
yes, there is clearly reciprocity
>>
>>9000244
It's just a discrete fourier transform but the vector it applies to is a quantum superposition
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.