[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what do you call it or do when on paper two fractions share a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

what do you call it or do when on paper two fractions share a common denominator but in reality are not compatable. Is there a proof/ law about conservation of volume/ area when dealing with fraction? (excuse my terrible graphic)
>>
>>8997281
we call this 'Units'
great post.
>>
>>8997281

Just fucking talk it out, you almost answered your own question WITH your question.

you have 3/8th of a circle and 2/8th of a rectangle .

I'm completely ignoring that you're filling the circle in with triangles which will result in a strange octagon or something so those 3 triangles are NOT 3/8 of the circle but I figure that while your picture is fucking stupid, wrong, and that you should be ashamed of posting this garbage, that I can still derive your question.

I think the answer is that you drink a bottle of vodka, eat a bottle of ibuprofen, take a nice warm bath and cut your fucking wrists in it.
>>
>>8997281
Apples and oranges?
>>
>>8997281
it's irrelevant in that case, the area of both whole shapes is equal to 1 unit (8/8), they have the same volume regardless of whatever shape you mash it up as. therefore, each red area there is equal to 1/8 whether it's a wedge or a rectangle
>>
Say the unit is divided in 8, if you have half of it it's 4/8, that can be simplified to 1/2 and it's the same because 1/2 it's still half of a unit.
>>
>>8997301
Sorry that your mind isn't great enough to ask compelling questions.
>>
File: 1498273656885.jpg (30KB, 456x402px) Image search: [Google]
1498273656885.jpg
30KB, 456x402px
>>8997281
You can project the square into a "triangle" with a formula and thus you'll end up with 5/8 of a circle

if its a triangle its a simple linear transformation
if its a portion of a circle then its a quasi-linear (?) projection
>>
>>8997301
>nothing personnel kid
>>
>>8998981
It's not a compelling question, it's fucking stupid
>>
>>8999056
I'm pretty sure this retard isn't asking that, I'm pretty sure this retard is trying to add 5/8 + 5/8 = 10/8 and doesn't understand that it's 5/8(x) + 5/8 (y) which is not equal to 10/8

Sure you can convert them both into some sort of a common unit but until then it appears this retard is having an issue with the fact that they are both the same fraction but of different objects.

I suppose you can make it (5/8)(x+y) if you factor it out but again this is some nigger asking some middle school faggot question and is apparently bad at asking the question in the first place.
>>
>>8999198
This a completely valid question, if you took a class on theoretical math you'd find many simple questions and they are actually surprisingly not trivial. Rereading his question I thinks its my second example

If he's asking about the theory about adding fractions of two differing objects
You would first have to find an equivalence relation for 1/8 of that circle and 1/8 of that square. If you can find an equivalence relation (mapping) between two sets then two sets are in essence the same (an Area is actually a set on R x R which is the real numbers under the Cartesian product under itself). Thus you can abstract this into just fractions of 3/8 + 2/8 = 5/8.
- An example of this one is having a box of 8 eggs with only 2 eggs in the carton while stuffing 3 grapes into the box, thus you still have 5 slots out of 8 filled.

If he's asking about adding two "different" areas WITHOUT scaling the areas then you'd still need to write an equivalence relation but keeping the areas constant under the mappings (to write a proof on this you would need a rigorous definition of Area under R as in set theory the set of real numbers from 0 to 1 and from 0 to 100 have the same cardinality).
- An example of this one is having having 2 kiloliters of water left out of a 8 kiloliter container and then pouring 3 liter from a 8 liter container, you are not left with 5 kiloliters. Thus you need to map the "area" of the second container (I know its volume) into kiloliters before you add them, as while the fraction is the same they are both of differing universes and you cannot add through sets in that way with how addition is defined typically.

While the first one is Topology/Set-Theory the second one is Analysis, neither of those topics are trivial, however OP needs to specify what the operator of addition is doing.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.