[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The chances of x happening are small (say, 1 in 10). You have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

The chances of x happening are small (say, 1 in 10). You have two buttons in front of you, a green button and a red button.

- If X does not happen and you pressed the green button, you lose $6000
- If X does not happen and you pressed the red button, you lose $1000

- If X does happen and you pressed the green button, you lose nothing
- If X does happen and you pressed the red button, you lose $1000

What button do you press and why?
>>
>>8995671
I won't press a button, why would I?
>>
>>8995675
The premise is such that you must press a button

Assume that deciding not to press any button has a cost of $6000 regardless of X's outcome
>>
>>8995677
Then the red button
red button = 100% chance of losing $1000
green button = 90% chance of losing $6000, 10% chance of +/-0 = $5400 loss on average
>>
>>8995681
You have that backwards. Chances of losing 6000 are 10%, losing nothing 90%.
>>
>>8995683
No
Chances of x happening are 10%
If X happens (10% of the time) and you press green you lose $0
If X does not happen (90% of the time) and you press green you lose $6000
>>
>>8995683
Read the damn post.
>X happens 10% of the time
>10% chance that if you press green you loose nothing
>90% chance that if you press green you loose $6000
>>
>>8995683
>The chances of x happening are small
>- If X does happen and you pressed the green button, you lose nothing
>losing nothing 90%.
>>
>>8995671
I don't fucking press any of the buttons. Every single press is a loss.
>>
>>8995698
You must press a button, not pressing a button has a 100% chance of costing you $6,000
>>
>>8995702
I don't have to do anything. Eat shit and die.
>>
>>8995671
(((1/10)*6000)+((1/10)*0))/2
(9/10)*1000

something something expected value of the statistical result pick the lesser worse result

its like some people never even took a basic statistics course.
>>
Wtf is this garbage? This isn't a math problem, it's an assignment. "make a probability chart, calculate expected result of each button". Give us a real problem faggot.
>>
>>8995671
There is a 1/10 chance of you losing 6k if you hit the green.
There us a 100% chance of you losing 1k if you hit red.

The Answer:
>depends how rich I am. If I'm poor I'll hit green and if I'm rich I'll hit red.
>>
>>8997252
Sorry 9/10 chance for green. Double negative fucked me up.
>>
>>8995671
I put a gun down your throat and make you suck it like a dick.

I don't press any buttons, you think I'm going to play your little "mitigating loss" game without a potential gain?

No, I'm going to kill you or die trying.
>>
>>8995671
Green and red break even when x has a 83.3...% chance of happening. Any less and you press red, any more and you press green.
>>
>>8995671
I press the green button and hope X happens, because all other options will financially ruin me.
>>
Why the fuck would i press green??
>>
90% chance to lose $6000, 100% chance to lose $1000.

Seems like its better to press red.
>>
I think the problem becomes more interesting if the "pay-out" was balanced the odds. Instead of a 1/10 of X happening it was 1/6. So probabilistically no outcome is more logical. Or even weigh it in the other direction. 1/4 probability of no penalty if green is pressed. IMO it would still be smarter to press red but very close.
>>
>>8995683
No, it's you who are backwerdz.
>>
>>8995707
found the anti-intellectual
>>
>>8995671
Press neither?
>>
>>8995671
the chances are you will never have such a qt gf
>>
>>9000425
cuz she gay
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.