[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As I understand it, cancer and aging are basically gene transcription

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: Picture-21.png (907KB, 986x640px)
Picture-21.png
907KB, 986x640px
As I understand it, cancer and aging are basically gene transcription errors.

One is a deviation from the genetic blueprint, and the other is the slow fading of the blueprint until the body can no longer be healed or re-grown according to plan.

At least, that's my crude understanding of the two. I'm open to correction.

With that in mind, is it possible to not just prevent these things, but reverse them?

For example, you see identical twins with slightly different facial abnormalities. They have the same genetic plan, but in both cases the plan played out differently due to a kind of youthful aging, gene transcription errors that are made early on and cause no real harm. You also see benign forms of cancer or unwanted cell growth such as moles or birth marks.

If it's possible to reduce the risk of cancer and slow the aging process, is it also possible to have the genetic blueprint play out flawlessly, with near-complete facial symmetry and full development of the body?
>>
>>8989527
Let me answer your question with another; where would you even begin to change things? There are so many types of cancer and so many potential oncogenes (cancer risk genes) that decreasing susceptibility to one type might lead to increased risk of another, or other lethal health conditions.
>>
>>8989535
add multiple expressions for tumor suppression proteins like elephants have. about half of cancers progress due to the gene for trp-53 becoming corrupted.

telomerase (enzyme for lengthening telomeres) is also overexpressed in cancer cells but strongly related to aging; hence the immortal HeLa cell line ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeLa ).

a start would be genetically engineering elephants to overexpress telomerase, since to begin with they have several copies of tumor suppression genes.
>>
>>8989544
and no i dont proofread my posts.
>>
>>8989527
>>8989544
i think you are drunk

what is the question you are trying to ask?
>>
>>8989527
Aging is a much more complex phenomenon, certainly multifactorial and as of yet not fully understood.
You can prove this easily without any specific knowledge: for example a lot of mammals age a lot faster than we, but there is no reason to believe their cells replicate with more errors, the basic mechanism should be the same.
>>
File: 1497657707752.jpg (79KB, 700x607px) Image search: [Google]
1497657707752.jpg
79KB, 700x607px
>>8989527
>As I understand it, cancer and aging are basically gene transcription errors.
>>
>>8989527
We die in order to make room for next generation, who is supposed to better and more prepared than the previous one.

If there is no next generation, though, then you die for nothing, and your death would be as meaningless as your life.
>>
File: image.png (185KB, 896x590px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
185KB, 896x590px
>>8989527
To think from a evolution perspective aging makes sense. You only need to live long enough to reproduce and raise children for roughly 20 years.

Telomere genetic error has no drive to fix itself because it is unnessisary.

If you want to stop aging you would need to fix the entire process of DNA replication.

Also methylation is half the story as well and that's basically impossible to prevent
>>
File: 1465708102072.jpg (72KB, 756x686px) Image search: [Google]
1465708102072.jpg
72KB, 756x686px
i like your post but i have nothing to contribute

research that out and find an answer
>>
>>8989527
look into crispr/cas9
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.