[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chemistry student here. How do I make chem sound cool to others

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

Chemistry student here. How do I make chem sound cool to others when physics has all the celebrity scientists and big projects?
>>
>>8988389
Make that compound (or whatever) that constantly changes colour. You might say "but anon, that's completely vacuous and doesn't really demonstrate chemistry", to which I say "neither do those 'celebrity scientists'". As for the large projects, literally 99.9% of people lost interest in them when I explained that the Higgs boson doesn't [math] all [/math] matter mass, just 3 bosons that belong to the electroweak interaction.
>>
>>8988389
I'm a math grad. When someone asks what I do and I tell them, the only response I ever hear is "I hate math."

I would actually prefer the neutral opinion that chemistry would have.
>>
>>8988389
Let them read Lowe's "Things I Won't Work With"
>>
>>8988395
i agree, do an experiment if you can. iodine clock is good.
>>
>>8988424
I'm going into math. Is it really as bad as everyone says it is?
>>
>>8988455
It depends on the kind of person I'm talking to in my experience. People outside academia assume it's boring, other students usually react with "wow that's really hard".
>>
>>8988395
What compound is this?
t. non-chemistry expert
>>
>>8988389
You don't, chemistry is gay and physics is superior and basically you should feel like a piece of shit brainlet
>>
>>8988460
Universal indicator solution probably?
>>
>>8988460
>>8988505
This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briggs%E2%80%93Rauscher_reaction
>>
>>8988455
yes
>>
>>8988389
Tell them that chemistry is about the transformation of matter.
Just sperg out. Don't meme.
>>8988442
Also this.
>>
>How do I make chem sound cool to others
Who cares if it sounds cool to others? If doing cool work is important to you -- and, you think the work that you're doing is cool -- that's all that matters.

>when physics has all the celebrity scientists and big projects?
The celebrity "scientists" aren't really scientists. No one past the undergraduate level respects them as scientists or views their contributions as meaningful. Don't confuse "pop sci" nonsense with scientific advancements that legitimately push their field(s) forward.
>>
>>8988395
Yes, mix up a chemical oscilator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belousov%E2%80%93Zhabotinsky_reaction
>>
>>8988389
Ask them how making drugs and explosives isn't cool as shit
>>
File: Screenshot+2016-01-22+08.03.06.png (294KB, 1026x1092px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot+2016-01-22+08.03.06.png
294KB, 1026x1092px
>>8988389
Well as George Whitesides puts it: "[Chemists] change the way you live and die."
>>
File: IMG_6889.gif (949KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6889.gif
949KB, 500x282px
I don't know anon, maybe Breaking bad?
>>
crystals, explosions, drugs, pretty colors
>>
>>8988389

Learn the mechanisms and procedures to make drugs, explosives and chemical weapons. The mechanism to synthesize Mustard gas was literally explain in my Ochem book.

Then explain with a casual air - "methamphetamine is piss easy to make, one just takes this and that and cooks it a bit and then you can get high as balls for the price of some house hold supplies."

People like hearing about that shit. For the more scientifically minded, talk about physical chemistry and shit
>>
Well, almost everything requires some chemistry knowledge to make. Look at a bottle of spaghetti sauce, even it requires a chemical engineer to make sure it can be mass produced without spoiling on the shelf.

Chemistry isnt a "rockstar" science, its basically the science of everyday life. Well, there are fringe examples that are teetering on physics like making new elements and shit.
>>
File: dsdsf.png (10KB, 867x297px) Image search: [Google]
dsdsf.png
10KB, 867x297px
>>8988389
Gonna hitchhike this thread, bruh.

How do I make an ammonium salt out of this? Just use dilute HCl in water?
>>
>>8990469
Fuck you, get out
>>
>>8990469
homework >>>/hm/
>>
>>8990469
Gotta make it hardddd
>>
Tell them you're gonna be breaking bad xD
>>
Just make up some shit that sounds cool and believable depending on your field

>biochemistry
>we make drugs lmao

>chemical engineering
>I suck dicks lmao

>geochemistry
>we mine gold lmao

>forensic chemistry
>I solve murders lmao
>>
>>8990686
Biochemistry has nothing to do with making drugs. That's pharmacology or organic chemistry.
>>
>EE
>dude current lmao

>CE
>dude chips lmao

>physics
>dude gibs lmao

>chemistry
>dude flashcards lmao
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.