[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apparently Pinochio's nose will grow if Pinocchio tells

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1497650488628.jpg (4KB, 175x149px) Image search: [Google]
1497650488628.jpg
4KB, 175x149px
Apparently Pinochio's nose will grow if Pinocchio tells a lie.

it is time sensitive, however, if Pinocchio says it is day time, and it is currently day time, then his nose won't grow, even though it will later be night time.

Therefor if Pinocchio says his nose will grow, he is saying a lie, because he can't know that his nose will grow. It doesn't retroactively become true because of something that happens later (his nose grows).

Paradox solved.
>>
>>8988229
Eh, that's actually clever. At least it is the first time I hear this so hopefully you didn't steal this from /reddit/ or something.

That said, great insight but... why the fuck were you thinking about this silly and stupid meme paradox?
>>
nice analysis, im stealing this
>>
>>8988249
original as far as I know.
I tried to solve tons of paradoxes, and my other answers are less satisfying, so I posted this one.
>>
>>8988251
Yes, tell your philosophy professor, he will not be impressed.
>>
>>8988274
friends if they bring it up at parties bruh
>>
>>8988229
What if Pinocchio says something he can't possibly know for a fact like "That man over there was born in January" or "Someone somewhere in Los Angeles is currently sticking a cucumber up their ass"?

Would his nose grow because he made it up, even if it's actually true?

If not, doesn't this make Pinocchio effectively omniscient?
>>
>>8988287
if the nose growing force checks all booleans true or false in the universe, then he's omniscient.

if it's about the intention of what is said, then it'd grow cause hes a lying shit.

Either way, saying his nose will grow is a lie, because if it's omniscient, as stated im the OPs post, it's still time sensitive checking booleans at a specific plank length, otherwise there's no meaning to true or false since most, if not all things will be true or false eventually.
>>
>>8988315
>at a specific plank length,

what do you mean, for the non-physicists?
>>
File: download (5).jpg (5KB, 336x150px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
5KB, 336x150px
>>8988331
Plank length can vary greatly depending on what you're building.
>>
>>8988315
>>8988331
>>8988345
I really hope that that was intentional from the start because damn that's some subtle humour.
>>
>>8988229
What if Pinocchio says that his nose will grow with the intention of saying a lie eight afterwards? If it's based off of the intention behind his statement then it won't grow, because he is referring to the event that will happen soon afterwards.

For example, if he were to say that the sun will not set tonight, it will grow, because he knows that's not true.
>>
>>8988229
Almost all statements about things are time sensitive because the conjugation of verbs inherently has time built in. Funny, this only works for languages that have these. In a language system where everything is in the infinitive, time must be derived from context. This leads to a unique situation where the statement could be ambiguous and begs the question of whether the interpretation of the statement affects whether or not his nose grows. I think that he can tell untrue statements as long as he doesn't know they're untrue, otherwise the inability to control his nose betrays the morality that it was intended to serve.
>>
>>8988287
The growing nose is based on the intent to lie.
>>
>>8988277
This is the only legitimate use for philosophy.
>>
>>8988229
It is time dependent, but he didn't say "my nose is currently growing". If he said that, it would be false at the time he said it, and then his nose would subsequently grow (but this isn't a paradox since his nose wasn't growing when he said it was)

Now if he said "my nose WILL grow due to me saying this", then we have a paradox
>>
"This statement is false" Pinochio style
>>
>>8988229
Your time references lack similitude. You compared the statement "it is day time" to the statement "my nose will grow". To make these statements match up with regards to tense you would have to convert the second statment as such "my nose is growing". In which case the paradox remains.
>>
>>8988229
Can both the position and momentum of a particle be determined by Pinocchio making statements about each, altering each statement until his nose does not grow?
>>
>>8989244
Also, what reference frame does the statement need to be true in? Or does Pinocchio's nose break special relativity? Can Pinocchio make a statement about, say, a distant celestial body and know the answer based on nose growth before light from the star would reach him?
>>
>>8988229
Maybe he anticipates his nose growing?
>>
>>8988287
Well he is a magical being, it is either omniscient (or partially) or dependent on what he knows and is. If the latter then if he said something that was true, but he didn't know it was true (AKA made that shit up) then his nose should grow.
>>
>>8989251
The length at which his nose grows will probably be bounded up to a multiplicative factor by Planck's constant.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.