[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be possible to hit a smallish meteor with a baseball

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4384.jpg (33KB, 1200x627px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4384.jpg
33KB, 1200x627px
Would it be possible to hit a smallish meteor with a baseball bat as it whizzes by?
>>
>>8985146
In theory, yes.
In practice, no.
>>
>>8985146
Yeah, you might not like what happens though.
>>
For exactly the same effect as just having a bat in the path of the meteor.
>>
>>8985148
How so?
>>8985150
Develop your hypothesis
>>
File: BatterUp.png (1MB, 709x942px) Image search: [Google]
BatterUp.png
1MB, 709x942px
>>8985146
It's there a movie, tv show, or anime that features this very thing? Oh right, it was a comic...
>>
>>8985146
You mean like if you were somehow floating in the upper atmosphere and it whizzed by?

If it was small enough you could whack it with a bat, sure. It would have to be so small you wouldn't be able to see it coming though.
>>
>>8985182
Flcl did something slightly similar
>>
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/our-solar-system/75-our-solar-system/comets-meteors-and-asteroids/meteorites/314-are-meteorites-hot-or-cold-when-they-hit-earth-intermediate

Small meteors can travel pretty slowly through the atmosphere reaching the ground cold. It's entirely possible to hit a small enough meteor with a baseball bat. How you see it is another question entirety.
>>
>>8985146
No. The impact would smash your bat to smithereens.
>>
Is it possible to make a bat strong enough to withstand the impact but lightweight enough to swing?
>>
>>8985182
THIS SUMMER, ONE BOY FACING THE PITCH OF HIS LIFE, CARRIES THE WEIGHT OF AN ENTIRE PLANET
THE LAST PITCH
>>
File: 1200.jpg (52KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
52KB, 1200x675px
>>8985182
So who blatantly stole this shit?
>>
File: 1489046118465.png (50KB, 134x200px) Image search: [Google]
1489046118465.png
50KB, 134x200px
>>8985815
>BOY
idiot
>>
>>8985839
No one.
>>
>>8985146
Absolutely. A small meteor will cool and fall straight down at terminal velocity. It should be possible to hit it so long as one is in the right place at the right time
>>
>>8985146
Meteor, no. Meteorite yes, except it would be hitting the bat, not vice versa. General physics 101 clearly explains how momentum gets converted. Though smaller than the bat, the acceleration due to gravity gives the meteorite quite an advantage over the bat. Revise your question a little bit.
>>
>>8985146
>>8985148
>>8986357

Yo listen up skeptifags,

A PLANE OF BATS

Meeting the trajectory of a meteorite? Fuckoff
We can't increase meteorite count, but we can increase the ratio of bats per area in which the meteorite is likely to pass.

Even though we could say:
>Well shit nigga, the bat should hit the meteorite, not the other way around

My arugment is; we did that just from another point of reference - the meteors point.

He was just standing still when all of a sudden wall of bats started charging in his general direction.
>>
>>8986102
cmon its 2017, people can be whatever they want
>>
>>8986346
This.
>>
File: let me tell you about baseball.png (523KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
let me tell you about baseball.png
523KB, 500x667px
Is /sci/ smart enough to beat and survive the AI?

https://kids.yahoo.co.jp/games/sports/013.html
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.