[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible for a planet to have an atmosphere with conditions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (19KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
19KB, 1280x720px
Is it possible for a planet to have an atmosphere with conditions unsuitable for lightning? If so, what would be the conditions? Could a planet with such an atmosphere be capable of hosting life?
>>
Lightning is not dangerous enough to move to a different planet OP
>>
>>8983535
A present risk of being hit by lightning isn't the reason why I'm asking.
>>
Hi OP,
Well, lighting is caused by large electrical potential between earth and the clouds. at high enough potential difference, the air goes into electrical breakdown and becomes a conductor.

I recommend looking up the breakdown voltage of our air on earth. then i would look up what chemical mixtures pf gas would cause very low conductivity and extremely high breakdown voltage. gas mixtures like those I describe would be the atmosphere you are looking for.

t. math grad
>>
>>8983554
OP here,
I've been googling around, looking up your suggestions, realizing I have to learn a good deal of the basics (like what amperes and voltage really mean), giving up on that and then shooting quoted and unquoted phrases like "electrically/electrical inert gases" "low electrically conductive gas/es", trying all the combinations, and looking through wikipedia on noble gases (I believe I was wrong in considering them electrically inert) and just trying to learn more of this mind-exhausting stuff. The big problem is that an electrically inert gas, or atleast gas that wouldn't be susceptible to electrical discharge (lightning) isn't normally a desirable resource, so finding an article, a page, or anything about this is like trying to look up ways to reduce your penis size without surgery. Fuck me.
>>
>>8983671
it's ok OP. interest in science and willingness to read on your own is a great deal of the battle. Frequently, a lot of prior knowledge is required just to formalize a question.
In my work, I will frequently start out intending to write about one specific problem. Then during research I will find a large number of styles and approaches to the problem. Instead, you may end up solving something very different from the original goal.
I'm just trying to say that having a lot to study is not a bag thing.
>>
>>8983524
I don't think lightning happens on Mercury and Mars because they largely lack an atmosphere. Mars has a very thin atmosphere of carbon dioxide and I think the weather is restricted to dust devils and carbon dioxide "snow". Mercury is too small and too close to the Sun to really have an atmosphere. Every other planet has storm activity and lightning (to an even greater degree than Earth).
>>
>>8983671
the thing is, given a large enough electric potential, every gas is ionizable.
>>
>>8983761
but if the atmosphere can't form clouds there may not be a way to create enough of a charge gradient to ionize the atmosphere or the atmosphere could just have a composition that's hard to ionize or both together to some degree
to my knowledge science doesn't actually completely understand lightning anyways
>>
>>8983761
>>8983765
both of these are good notes to recognize.
i believe we would want a gas mixture which would somehow discourage huge clouds like those in thunderstorms and also have a large breakdown voltage.

while perhaps not making lightning impossible, that would make it much more rare. problem is that i don't know gaseous chemistry as much as i do electromagnetics.
>>
>>8983524
No.
>>
>>8984392
yes, i think the best approach to this problem would be to limit the electrical potential. but i dont really think that's possible either. how would you stop a cloud from forming without major non-nature intervention...

yea i dont know too much about this but i dont think it's very likely
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.