[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is consciousness truly the most incomprehensible, difficult problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1492524091882.jpg (11KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
1492524091882.jpg
11KB, 250x249px
Is consciousness truly the most incomprehensible, difficult problem to solve, or is it just yet another problem that will be solved in due time?

None of "us" reading this can even prove any other sentient beings exist. What if "we" are the only one and solipsism is real? We can't even bridge that gap, how can we bridge the gap of explaining consciousness?

Is it the most amazing fucking WEIRD, mind-blowingly insane thing ever, or just not too big of a deal and we will solve it? I oscillate back and forth between thinking both.
>>
It's 2nd place at best.

The hardest is why anything exists at all.
>>
>>8980425
We can't even organize ourselves well enough to get off this planet.

Do you honestly think in a million years we'll have the slightest clue why people experience consciousness?

We have a large portion of the population of earth starving, and completely destitute.

Politics is built around pleasing everybody in a country, and poorer nations are left out of this because of greed.

It's still common practice to hold onto primitive religious beliefs.

Particularly ones that cause war, and hold back research.

We are monkeys that still only live to succeed in mating, and gathering resources for ourselves to take care of our children.

If a natural disaster happened in space I really doubt a group of countries would organize themselves well enough to combat it.

We may not even have the tools because of our stupidity.
>>
>>8980437
The 2 questions might be somewhat related, at the end of the day it might just be that nothingness simply breeds existence and our own perception might just be fundamentally wrong, similar to how we experience time as separate from spacetime.
>>8980425
I can imagine that in a few decades we'll have a way better understanding of the human brain, motivated by trying to connect the human brain to devices or the quest for better and better AI. This will in turn get us to start exploring different states of conciseness in scientific ways and maybe produce a scientific theory of our conciseness.
>>
>>8980425
It is easy if you know how...
>>
>>8980425
>Is consciousness truly the most incomprehensible, difficult problem to solve, or is it just yet another problem that will be solved in due time?
materialists BTFO
>>
>>8980508
The human brain and its contents are pseudo-science.
>>
>>8980455
this
>>
>>8980455
>Wah we aren't Star Trek
>Wah religion despite it being a major contribution to our scientific knowledge and most people more productive than myself in the history of science having religious beliefs
>Why can't Elon be god-emperor?

>>8980425
>Is consciousness truly the most incomprehensible, difficult problem to solve, or is it just yet another problem that will be solved in due time?

Those aren't mutually exclusive. It might be a hard problem to solve, but that doesn't mean we can't eventually solve it. Or maybe we never will. Or maybe we'll conclude it actually is an emergent property that surpasses sheer materialist paradigms. Who fucking knows?
>>
>>8980455

>We can't even organize ourselves well enough to get off this planet.

This is such a retarded, pseudo-intellectual thing to say.

When it was deemed "worth it" for military/political reasons, humanity went from primitive, wood-and-paper diesel biplanes, to jet fighters in 40 years. 25 years later, men went to the Moon and back.

Nowadays manned space exploration makes no sense.
If it's not necessary, if it's VERY expensive with no prospect of profit - why would anyone do it? Just so that pseudo-intellectuals like you can circle-jerk about it on internet forums?
>>
>>8980613
>Wah religion despite it being a major contribution to our scientific knowledge and most people more productive than myself in the history of science having religious beliefs
This is a complete red herring

It just so happens that a lot of the most dedicated autistically obsessive hard working people in the world ended up being serious about religion, and also about science and research. Religion didn't contribute anything it was the people themselves

You're ignoring how much religion has held us back, which is arguably so much we can't even quantify it. So many major historical atrocities based solely on religion
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.