[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just graduated from high school. Pretty good grades but figured

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1482543854004.jpg (1MB, 3543x1770px) Image search: [Google]
1482543854004.jpg
1MB, 3543x1770px
Just graduated from high school.

Pretty good grades but figured I would have just helped out with the family farm. Dd's dying and wants me to go off to college

That said, I like math and botany but I feel like It's too late for me. I like English, history, and economics, but I doubt those will get a job.

Any advice? Will I be shoved into a corner since I'm not really well versed in math (only know calc I)

Thanks guys
>>
>>8978152
Most people don't start studying actual mathematics till they get to college anyways so it's not really off the table, many enter without even taking calc 1.
>>
>>8978162
Guess it's also worth mentioning that I'll be looking at going to my state school. You need to go to good unis to really learn in depth right?
>>
>>8978152
If you have a farm, then stay there, live a comfy life and study on your own using the internet. You can always go to a university once you've found what you like exactly and have saved some money.
>>
>>8978184
Farm work is quite demanding. Not exactly "comfy" but I understand what you mean. I think the hardest part is keeping interest
>>
Find a small uni with a biology program. Get a B.S. And teach at a rural community college and start raising a family. You'll get good money for a rural area. You can sub at local high schools. You can get an EMT certificate and do that part-time. If you don't mind rural, you can do a ton with just a simple/easy sciences degree.
>>
>>8978174
Meh, not really, if you're a dedicated student you can easily push past the curriculum, there are many bright math undergrads who take grad classes as students in order to push themselves, many then go on to the top grad schools in the nation, it is mostly dependent on how much time and effort you are willing to put in. You could also double major, say math & bio, I say this since math-bio research is on the rise (basically biologists don't have the tools to solve there problems and mathematicians need grant money). You could always just get you degree and teach as well.
>>8978184
Fair point, though it might be the case that his parents want to see him graduate before passing.
>>
>>8978190
>hardest part is keeping interest

That would only get harder once you go to a university where you'll find all sorts of distractions like women, alcohol, drugs, etc. I'm not saying you shouldn't experience those things, I'm just suggesting you do it once you're a bit more mature and have more focus on what you want to do with your life.
>>
>>8978152
Go study agriculture and minor in math.
>>
>>8978198
I'm not bright guy, just a curious one. I don't blame my parents though, we worked together all our life in the mountains but I do think they regret closing so many doors in my life. Mom is a wreck over dads dying so it's a lot of pressure at the moment
>>8978207
you're right. I just don't want to make a mistake
>>8978216
sounds like a good idea. Is there room for agricultural research? I wouldn't mind necessarily helping with some fertilizer company, but I'd prefer to help better the plants and our methods of farming
>>
>>8978218
>I just don't want to make a mistake

Taking an year off to read on all sorts of topic you're interested in wouldn't be a mistake.

>Mom is a wreck over dads dying

I didn't want to push that topic, because that's your business, but if your father's dying, it wouldn't be a bad choice to spend his last days by his side.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.