[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> 1st year CS > Kicked modules asses Future CS looks either

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_2017-04-17_15-37-33.png (364KB, 566x645px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-17_15-37-33.png
364KB, 566x645px
> 1st year CS
> Kicked modules asses

Future CS looks either dull or like shit I can teach myself. Math has awesome modules.
I can switch to Mathematics easily next year or continue CS. I want to end up doing a postgrad something like computational Physics or at least something in Stem that isn't a hermetically sealed office with web developer asshats. Should I switch or stick given my future goals?
>>
>>8977450
find something that makes you mad dosh, yo.

the rest is cake.
>>
>>8977450
Only switch if you're OK with being broke but satisfied with your work.
>>
>>8977450
Stick with CS unless you are literally retarded and believe /sci/ memes. CS is by far the most employable degree right now, pure math is pretty bad. If you are good at CS and can make it through all the schooling to do computational physics you can probably do it. You can't say the same for math.
>>
>>8977776
You think? I don't believe /sci/ memes about employability, my CS has a higher starting salary. It's just that this year has been beginners java, basic html and css (js optional!), some arduino stuff, then maths. The BS modules will diminish I'm sure but Maths has absolutely none by the looks of things. I can honestly say that there isn't anything I learned from the pure CS that couldn't of been learned over an hour of intensive reading over data structures. The C/C++ next year also looks dismal. I have done this shit before, or it would take a short amount of time to read about it. Maths is something new and can take me into the interesting CS once I pass undergrad with a 1st class.
>>
>falling for the pure math meme
>>
Teach yourself CS while doing math imo. If you're able to prove you are a proficient programmer your degree doesn't matter for employability. Mathematics or Physics have way more interesting courses, that will benefit to your scientifical culture more than CS, hell, even economics wouldbe more interesting and fulfilling than CS

t. A CS student who's exhausted all sources of novelty in CS
>>
>>8977794
The primary issue is that without the degree, your CS job prospects aren't very high while your job prospects are shit with or without the math degree. You can compliment your CS degree with either a math minor OR a CS-Math double major, they will go well together and help you at higher-level shit.

For the love of God just don't fall for the pure math meme /sci/ pushes I don't want to help someone make a bad decision.
>>
>>8977805
I go to uni in the uk. I can take a Bachelors in CS or maths but not both. Plenty of places offer joint and maths offers joint with other subjects.

What's more, we have Applied Computing (for people looking to code without the CS) and CS (with a bunch of computability) but CS for some fucking reason doesn't do the core maths (Calc and algebra 1, 2) past 1st year.

If I were able to take a joint degree I would, I just want to save myself from the shitty lecturers doing modules that are, for some reason, also included to Product Design undergrads. Exam questions for Physical Computing were literally, "draw how you would make a system that counts people in fairground rides", or "who created the Arduino?" This in a course that is meant to be hard logic, maths and programming...
>>
>>8977450
Switch to math no question. You're going to need it if you do grad physics stuff.
>>
>>8977817
wtf I love our uni system now unironically

Just do the CS degree and teach yourself advanced shit in your free time to keep yourself occupied. I'm American so I don't know if you can take classes outside of your planned Bachelor, but if you can take a bunch of math.
>>
>>8977817
The absolute state of yuropoor education
>>
>>8977846
>>8977879
DESU it isn't bad. I get it entirely for free and most degrees are okay to good. The Maths department is very put together. CS too mostly. They teach people what the industry expects of them I guess. I like the major system you guys have, but your entire education structure seems so broken and corrupt that I would take my system any day.
>>
>>8977892
Also non-STEM tend to have to take bullshit modules that have nothing to do with their course, which is sort of in place of minors.
>>
>>8977842
I just have an interest in Computational Physics and Physics in general. Went through a couple of MIT Open Courseware courses. It could entirely be a dead end.
>>
>>8977892
>but your entire education structure seems so broken and corrupt that I would take my system any day

And your basing that on what other delusional foreigners have told you about American education which they heard from other foreigners which they heard...which none of have ever actually had an experience with
American education.
>>
>>8977931
I mean sure I haven't studied in the US, but I have heard how much it costs... Sounds like a tad too much for me.
Then you have all that shit with faculty members being thrown into teaching subjects they aren't qualified to and Deans just shrug it off, collages are textbook shills and make you spend hundreds of dollars on material you don't need.
If the experience is actually otherwise then that is great. Good for you. But general news and bitching on 4chan have given me the impression it's shitty over there.
If you have any examples on why it is great then I gladly hear them out. I don't really have a dog in the fight.
>>
>>8977931
Really the only relevant thing truely broken about our system is the costs to attend. Everything else is massively overblown.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.