[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIFF EQS General - /DEG/ - FTW Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0643.jpg (53KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0643.jpg
53KB, 620x350px
/sci/, care to recommend any top-tier books for a complete understanding of ODEs? Did fairly well in the course, but I want a 100% understanding - I feel like it's a mathematical milestone to know this stuff.

Also, any upper-echelon maths anons feel free to reflect on your ODEs experience, and what they mean to you now. Any newfags feel free to ask questions and speculate.
>>
>>8976317
How do you feel about nonlinear DEs? How about y'' + (y')^2 = 2
>>
>>8976368
RETarded
>>
>>8976317
If you want more theory and rigor in ODE then you'd probably need real analysis under your belt, in that case probably pick up a book by AMS. Nevertheless the books by Haberman, and Lebl are good books on the subject.

ODE are fun but PDE are a little more common in physical applications I'd argue. PDE is definitely the way to go. I recommend Asmar, Debnath, or Hillen for PDE. Probably Hillen honestly. Debnath or Logan for science and engineering applications.

Don't let any of the retards here meme you into reading Evans or Strauss for PDE.
>>
Vladimir Arnold's ODE book is a good choice.
>>
Got a few general questions... how important are ODE/ PDEs for a math major? For ODEs at least, I'm not sure if I should see them as the last of the weed-out classes or the beginning of the REAL math classes. I've always heard repeatedly that ODEs were "really, really important for engineering majors" for the obvious applications. Never that they were important for math majors.

Anybody with experience care to comment?
>>
>>8977016
It depends what math you're doing, and if you're planning on industry or academia.
>>
>>8976409

what's wrong with strauss?
>>
>>8976317
Applied Differential Equations - Vladimir Dobrushkin
>>
>>8976317
I've heard Dobrushkin's "Applied Differential Equations" was good, but since it's not on LibGen I think it's just a meme.
>>
>>8977174
Not him but strauss skips so many steps and has very little solutions, i personally went through a different pde book by Olver which made me get an A in the class without having to open up that shitty book strauss made.

Olver doesnt skip any steps and has the solutions posted online

Strauss is complete shit and schools should start using Olver's
>>
>>8976317
ODE's by Dover, author tellenbaum
>>
>>8977193
>I've heard Dobrushkin's "Applied Differential Equations" was good, but since it's not on LibGen I think it's just a meme.

http://www.maa.org/press/maa-reviews/applied-differential-equations

There's also a good preview on Amazon.
>>
>>8977016

Its just like calc/analysis. Theres babby ODE and actual ODE. Poincare bendixson and shit
>>
Suppose we have a smooth ODE defined on an open set [math]U \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/math]. Let [math]\gamma \colon I \to U[/math] be a MAXIMAL solution. If [math]\gamma(I)[/math] has a compact closure inside [math]U[/math], then [math]I = \mathbb{R}[/math].

Is this true and if yes, how do you prove this?
>>
>>8977189
where's the pdf? Lot's of good ODE/PDE books on LibGen, and Dobrushkin isn't one of them.
>>
>>8977205
Where's the link to dl the book? All the other good diffy Q books are dl'able.

Stop parroting meme books that aren't available.
>>
>>8977271
>>8977272

Samefagging LibGen Internet Defense Force shill. By that logic, every single shitty McGraw-Hill and Pearson Hall cashgrab textbook is amazing. Stop trying to pirate other people's hard work and get a job you insufferable faggot.
>>
>>8977261
OP here. You're talking Greek bruh.

BTW I'm using "A First Course..." 10E by Zill. How fucked am I?
>>
>>8976448
fpbp
>>
>>8976317
>DE general
>just ODEs at that
i want engineers to leave
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.