[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does he keep getting away with this? Do his followers honestly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 12

File: blacked sci.jpg (47KB, 585x294px) Image search: [Google]
blacked sci.jpg
47KB, 585x294px
How does he keep getting away with this? Do his followers honestly believe he is the greatest scientist of the modern age?
>>
if you disagree with him you're a racist
>>
File: blue-marble-anomalies.png (821KB, 796x501px) Image search: [Google]
blue-marble-anomalies.png
821KB, 796x501px
oblate pearoid is the true shape of earth, blue marbles are photoshop, sorry - Neil
>>
>there are more transcendental numbers than irrational numbers
>there are five 'levels of infinity'
>>
>>8973096
>he is the greatest scientist of the modern age?
No, that's Bill "Castrate your children" Nye.
>>
>>8973096
>When we cure all disease and stop aging

Wow! Really makes me think
>>
File: ss+(2017-06-13+at+09.59.46).jpg (88KB, 582x484px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-06-13+at+09.59.46).jpg
88KB, 582x484px
>>8973540
i think you missed the point of what he said. it's still kind of stupid though
>>
>>8973096
Are there any modern scientists who aren't a meme?
>>
>>8973555
the ones you don't hear about on the internet, the ones in their offices working
>>
>>8973555
3% apparently.
>>
>>8973096
Real science people don't pay him no mind.
>>
>>8973555
The vast majority of scientists. Somebody was too big of a brainlet to be invited to the circle jerk
>>
>>8973096
He's right though.
>>
If we stop aging and solve all the main causes of premature death, then how will we get rid of all the fucking people?
>>
>>8973655
why would we need to? Fucking fatalists.
>>
>>8973655
>then how will we get rid of all the fucking people?
The government decides on a national age limit (suppose 150 years for the sake of argument), while the elite members of society can purchase additional years for some fee
>>
>>8973116
>No, that's Bill "Castrate your children" Nye.
W-what?
>>
>>8973655
The carrying capacity of the area will be exceeded, the greater the degree to which the carrying capacity is exceed the greater the wealth gap between richest and poorest, eventually enough people will be below the level of wealth required to maintain biological immortality that the system reaches equilibrium.

Next question.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (9KB, 184x273px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
9KB, 184x273px
>>8973664
There is a B movie about that called "in time"

Trailer:
https://youtu.be/fdadZ_KrZVw
>>
>>8973719
enjoyed the concept, however I thought it could've done much better, more than the cliché love interest garbage. But hey, B movie
>>
>>8973719
There is also Logan's Run.
>>
File: image.png (15KB, 525x345px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
15KB, 525x345px
>>8973694
>>8973694
>static carrying capacity
>carrying capacity being succeeded eventually enough people will be bellow the level of wealth required that equilibrium is obtained
>equilibrium
>complex adaptive system
Lmao.
>carrying capacity being exceeded
>not resulting in a positive feedback loop with increased wealth inequality And lowered carrying capacity.
It would look more like picture related. Assuming strictly conservative evolution.
This all runs on the premise that we won't be living in a post apocalyptic hellscape in a hundered years so all of that argument is absurd.
>next question
Did you know you are a brainlet?
>>
That's actually right though. Car crashes are the second cause of death in the U.S.A. behind coronary arteries disease.
>>
>>8973096
You can't cure obsesity, it's not a disease like cancer is. So heart attacks will still be #1.
>>
File: 1496787079079.jpg (131KB, 525x809px) Image search: [Google]
1496787079079.jpg
131KB, 525x809px
>>8973096
>mfw these technocratic types think they can stop me from swapping a 460 big block into a 1985 crown vic and shredding rubber
>>
>>8973096
find a fault in his argument
>>
>>8973655
why would people make babies if they know they won't die, or age and need help in their old age, or that the people they love will live forever so they'll never be alone? if some retards still feel the need to procreate they should be sterilized.
>>
>>8973655
seriously, thats called an assumption, sometimes you do it to make a point, even if the assumption doesnt make sense; thats science guys, if you unironically question the assumption, you are not only missing the point, but also a giant brainlet and better get off this board
>>
>>8973096
wtf is he like fourteen years old or what
>>
>>8973096

Isn't then the leading cause of death stupidity?
>>
File: 1493197118905.jpg (159KB, 620x827px) Image search: [Google]
1493197118905.jpg
159KB, 620x827px
>>8973924
pic related, its OP
>>
>>8973926
No it's complex causation, something neither you or mike Tyson seem to understand
>>
lol "complex causation". ok dude way to be a total fuck tard.
>>
>>8973096
It racist to not agree with him despite the thousands of african american and african scientist currently in our world that are ignored in favor of this meme lord.
>>
>>8973099
Are people being ironic when they say this? I've never seen him or any of his IFL SCIENCE-type fans pull the race card on him.
Norps come in all shapes and sizes, to reduce all of them to SJW's is paying them too much credit.
>>
>>8973107
maybe the clouds were moving during the snapshot
>>
>>8973933
This guy's pretty good looking as far as downeys go.
>>
File: HahahaNo.gif (89KB, 220x162px) Image search: [Google]
HahahaNo.gif
89KB, 220x162px
>>8973096
>"Trust corrupt governments and hackers with our cars"
>>
File: g-science.png (32KB, 598x241px) Image search: [Google]
g-science.png
32KB, 598x241px
>>8973096
>>
>>8973660
Is this a serious question?
>>
>>8973933
is that henry rollins?
>>
>>8973096
He isn't by far the greatest scientist of the modern age. As far as I know the guy didn't even make any significant discoveries.
The reason why I and many others like him is because he is very good at explaining complicated things to people who have never heard of that thing before. He has inspired and motivated thousands.
It doesn't matter if he is smart or not or a good scientist or not. He successfully brings science to the public like Carl Sagan did back in the day.
>>
>>8974333
>dunning krueger effect
>making a bunch of stupid twitter posts
>passing himself off as a scientist to the general public

not worth "popularizing science" desu
>>
>>8974333
pop-sci must be destroyed
>>
>>8974341
If you were to eat a pancake for the first time and after that you love pancakes and make them yourself, and then you find out that first pancake was made of total crap and not like the other pancakes. Would you then hate pancakes? Or would you just be glad that you discovered them even though you discovered them through a lie?
>>
>>8974354
No, but you would hate that initial pancake.
>>
>>8974359
But he showed you that actual pancakes are great. Why not just be thankful for that?
>>
>>8974363
If someone beats you up into a pulp and during your convalescence you meet a hot nurse who becomes your wife, should you be thankful for the beating?
Crap is crap anon. I call 'em like I see 'em.
>>
>>8974333
He attracts the type of morons who say "It's science! It's progress! I love science!" without knowing what they're talking about.
People will agree with him just cause he said something that sounds important or cool.

That kind of people only brings science down.
>>
>>8974371
Yes I would. Of course I would. One negative event lead to a large number of positive ones. That one negative event is certainly worth all the positive ones that come after, due to its influence.
>>
>>8974392
Yet as long as he inspires at least a portion of those people to pursue science, and keeps science in the public eye, then he has done more good than bad.
>>
>>8973655
Use a space elevator to shoot them into the sun
>>
>>8974435
You fucking retarded dude?
>>
>>8974469
In your purposed circumstances, if that man had never beaten me, I'd never had met my wife. A beating isn't going to damage me for life, but a wife would benefit me for life (if she was truly good enough to meet my criteria ie communication skills, honesty, personality). Totally worth it. I couldn't bring myself to hate the guy, and I'd be thankful that it happened. He can stop be a dick, but that doesn't change the fact that his action brought me a gift that will last decades.
>>
>>8974487
Stop=still
>>
>>8974487
The beating is still a bad thing, in spite of whichever good consequence may follow from it. You should not be thankful for the harm which is made unto you. What is wrong with you? This is absurd.
>>
>>8974487
>Your wife cheats on you.
>You forgive her and start communicating more with her.
>Your relationship improves.
>You are thankful that you are cucked.

Rubbish.
>>
>>8974497
You honestly appear absurd to me. You'd rather hold a grudge for life? Forgive and move on. Hell, I'd probably thank the guy for hooking me up if I ever saw him again. In this hypothetical we haven't even established why we were beaten. Did we insult the man? Fuck his wife? Shit on his lawn? I don't know! But I can't say is be angry about it if it meant I met a woman is want to marry.

Leading it back to Niel, he connects normies with science, and hardly does any harm while doing it. Who is he harming by making science sound cool to the uneducated? If he inspires just one young person to go into a field of science and go on to contribute to it, then he's good in my book.
>>
>>8974510
Why would she cheat in the first place if we have an open line of communication and practice using it frequently? Immediately leaping to the idea of cuckoldry. How insecure can you get? How emotionally weak can you be? Letting your mind jump to the first thing you can think of to inspire rage inside of yourself, that's the true cuck mentality. Cucked before any relationship can even start by your own insecurities.
>>
>>8974515
>You'd rather hold a grudge for life? Forgive and move on. Hell, I'd probably thank the guy for hooking me up if I ever saw him again.
Have some gaddamn pride. Where's your dick?
>Leading it back to Niel, he connects normies with science, and hardly does any harm while doing it.
What's good about laymen dogmatically accepting scientific theories they don't understand? It only makes them religious towards science. Tyson, probably because he conducts no research himself, likes to spread nonesense such as there being 'settled science'. I don't want laymen to blindly accept scientific theories. Having a scientific mind requires first and foremost critical thinking, which Tyson does not teach.
>>
File: 1497116768783.png (751KB, 990x970px) Image search: [Google]
1497116768783.png
751KB, 990x970px
>>8973096
>>
File: 1496899235014.png (46KB, 1751x835px) Image search: [Google]
1496899235014.png
46KB, 1751x835px
>>8973648
>>
>>8974526
It's an example dude, there's no need for your ad homs. And a word of advice - don't think because you communicate well with a woman she can't cheat on you.
>>
>>8974530
Pride is relative, as in, what you might consider pride in this case, I would see as ridiculous and self damaging. My pride wouldn't be harmed by beating beaten, because I fucked up and couldn't win a fight. I'm guessing that your dismissal of my idea of finding a cause for the fight means that you've never actually been in one in your adult life. Still got a rage boner over those school bullies? I don't know, I'm just guessing here.

In a larger picture, getting roughed up wouldn't compare to the joy I would get from meeting my wife. I'd be grateful for the event, and wouldn't really care about the guy, because I have better things to spend my energy on. You know, like fucking my wife and building a life, a stable relationship, and a household.

I'm really getting the idea that you don't care about a larger picture here. You're focusing on the smaller things that might anger you, get a rise out of you, as a source of motivation to continue posting. I'd say the same goes for your ideas on black science man.
>>
>>8974541
You are effeminate. You simply don't understand what it means to be a man.
>>
>>8974535
Someone has been hurt. You poor thing. What you said is just as true with men. So hey, it's best to find a woman who is just as dedicated to keeping a relationship alive, with the work that it entails (and that's a fuck load of work over time), as you are.

If an example is given and it can't hold up under scrutiny, then that example is shit, is it not? That was my whole point, along with getting a rise out of some guys.
>>
>>8974546
Your definition of what it is to be a man sounds like it came from your father's fist on your small child body.
>>
>>8974548
I'm just being realistic, not relating experience. Also, in no way did you scrutinize the example. You simply proceeded to spiral into fallacious reasoning, which you are continuing to do. Ad hominems are not arguments.
>>
>>8974550
My definition of being a man comes from me being a man. You couldn't possibly understand given your lack of a dick.
>>
>>8973096
>>8973096
he lives in fantasyland. also he's black.
the fact people unironically consider him the new Sagan tells us something about the world we live in
>>
>>8974435
you do know it's a coincidence?
>>
>>8973096
> when we cure all disease and stop aging
> not 100% solar-bicycle or better
>>
>>8974263
That would mean we wont have Humans on Mars for at least another 30 years. Fucking hell Neil you hack.
>>
>>8974079
Nah, NASA admits to touching up that picture in photoshop
>>
>>8974541
Maybe if you ask the guy nicely he can beat the shit out of you again since you like it so much. What a good deed
>>
>>8973827
Underrated
>>
>>8974333
>he is very good at explaining complicated things to people who have never heard of that thing before
well who isn't
>>
>>8974980
Joking?

Most scientists are NOT good at explaining or teaching. Feynman was rather uncommon in that he was good at it and even enjoyed teaching. Other Nobel Prize laureates have been atrocious in teaching.
>>
>>8974541
>>8974546
You're both fucking retarded
>>
>>8973116
there's nothing wrong with Bill Nye.
He's cultivating a new generation of traps
>>
>>8973666
he encourages people to make their children go through sex change operations.
Basically he will increase the number of trannies and traps in the market.
It's only a good thing
>>
>>8973655
until then we will start colonizing other planets
>>
>>8973096
can someone explain
i assume hes making a joke or its satire, but i dont get it.
>>
>>8973096
Because its twitter. The things smart people say on twitter nowadays are the sorts of dumb little bits of speculation that they once reserved for dumb conversations with the brodies and undergrads at the pub.

Also, have some sympathy and bear in mind that his target audience is the american public.

>>8975128
>most scientists
Most acedemics in general.

I remember there being some Einstein quote where he says something like "if you really understand something you'll be able to put it into words," but just baloney. The people who rise to the top of the class are people who understand the subject through itself rather than through language. Thus the people with the most intimate understanding end up having some of the worst explanations, unless they're explaining it to someone who also "just gets it".
>>
>>8973906
you cant stop aging w/o sacrificing your humanity duh
>>
>>8975188
>>8975187
degenerate filth. hop on your big gay rocket and fly off into space already
>>
File: enraged pepe.jpg (21KB, 681x681px) Image search: [Google]
enraged pepe.jpg
21KB, 681x681px
>>8975277
are you trying to stop the production of cute traps?
>>
>>8975277
>Doesn't like space exploration

The calling card of a weak intellect.
>>
>>8973910
He said "when," not "if" or "supposing."
>>
>>8974534
Good sentiment, needs higher production values.
>>
>>8973096
He's being satirical: I.e there's a lot to worry about solving first(diseases of literally any kind and aging) before worrying about the safety hazards of automobiles, but people are hyping self driving cars way more than medical research and definitely more than stopping aging.
>>
>>8975213
>some Einstein quote
I think it is this:
>An alleged scientific discovery has no merit unless it can be explained to a barmaid

I have seen something similar credited to Feynman.
>>
>>8973906
Can't extrapolate today's data to a distant future. Other forms of death may become more popular than car crashes
>>
>>8974263
Neil "If her age is on the clock, she's ready for a Mars walk" Tyson
>>
>>8973666
even The Dark Lord is surprised
>>
>>8973096
is he implying we'll cure all diseases and give ourselves immortality before we have self driving cars
>>
>>8975884
LMAO that made me laugh more than it should
>>
>>8975948
He is, we already have self driving cars that can drive across USA/EU mostly unassisted. However we won't cure ageing for at least another 30 years.
>>
>>8973906
>>8973775
>>8973096
For one we're far closer to self autonomous automobile (ironic name btw) than to literally curing disease, and age itself

Secondly, even if it were reversed, it's obvious and definitely not profound thinking.
>>
>>8973666
basically he said that gender =/= sex and then /pol/ went apeshit and believes that he wants to bring about what they call "white genocide".
>>
>>8976717
he just wants to create some delicious traps
>>
>>8973655
simple
illegalize self-driving cars
>>
>>8974298
Yes. Fuck killing people asshole.
>>
>>8973096
Yeah but look at ben shapiro or some similar retard. People think they are geniuses because the people they argue against are far dumber still
>>
>>8973559
This.
>>
>>8973926

We prefer to call it driver‑related critical reasons.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812115
>>
>>8974750
[citation needed]
you can't even prove that that's an image straight from NASA
>>
>if we prevented all causes of death except exploding office chairs, exploding office chairs would be the leading cause of death
>>
>>8973096
>Do his followers honestly believe he is the greatest scientist of the modern age?
Yes. But, these are "science supporters" from reddit who have never taken a non-intro science course in college and never worked in a lab.

>>8973555
>Are there any modern scientists who aren't a meme?
Yes, the overwhelming majority of scientists who actually, well, do science -- serve as principle investigators/group leaders, train and mentor grad students/post-docs/RAs/etc., conduct research, publish findings, etc. There is going to some variation in regards to what they are doing based on whether they are PIs or department heads in academia, or group leaders or directors in industry. But, with the large exception of grant writing in academia, the overall gist is similar.

I would guess that every discipline and field has its own meme scientists, who probably get more attention and accolades and what not than they deserve. But, still, those scientists had to do, well, something, and typically made solid contributions to their field.
>>
>>8973096
What extension do you use to invert colors? I've been trying to find one but they always mess up pictures by inverting them or inverting already dark websites.
>>
>>8973096
>Do his followers honestly believe he is the greatest scientist of the modern age?
No, that's what people call a straw man argument.
>>
>>8973107
What about all of the other thousands of pictures of earth from space? What possessed you to give it an arbitrary shape of "oblate peroid"? Was it just a term you liked the sound of? Is this cry for help caused by some mental disorder or just general loneliness?
>>
>>8982125
>Yes.
No, nobody really thinks that. He's generally known because he's a media person, not because of his scientific achievements. He uses his limited fame to popularize the sciences, which is what people generally appreciate.
>>
>>8974341
>krueger
Get fucked.
>>
>>8974342
Luddites like you need to be destroyed.
>>
How many of you do you believe in life after death?Is it logical?I am an agnostic but I really don't understand atheists who claim that when you die thats it.Isnt there a point in all this?I watched a video of de Grasse Tyson and he answered that his body would decay and such like no shit I didn't know that already.But could there be a different case with the ones soul?I read that neuroscientists claim that all human emotions and identity of ones self are just chemical in the brain that are a product of the evolutionary process so that we can survive and pass on our genes.And for what?Why is this drive for life to try and exist If there is no point?On planets of our solar system there is no life and the universe is doing just fine.Why is it that life has to move on?Do you guys believe that death is not the end and that everything happens for a reason?Furthermore,do you believe that values like honor compassion and love are not just evolutionary illusions so that we can function and evolve as a social species?I used to believe that this shitty life might be just the beginning because,admit it if you study it enough it looks cold like a simulation from the matrix.Yes,it might look ingenious the laws of physics and math but it is not really beautiful if it is just all a dream.And what will we gain if we stop aging and dying.Life is shitty as it is.Colorless and without any magic.Movies,tv,music and art are much better.
>>
>>8973096
>In this hypothetical situation we would have an hypothetical undesirable outcome, unless we hypothetically would prevent it from happening!
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.