[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how much of the math and physics you're taught at uni is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1438146380917 copy 2.png (74KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1438146380917 copy 2.png
74KB, 1366x768px
how much of the math and physics you're taught at uni is used for engineering related careers?

>am chemEng
>suck at math
>sticking it out for the love of chem
>>
Depends on the career. Knowing high-level math/physics will always be useful since you can learn more advanced concepts that your peers have a hard time understanding. For most people you only use basic arithmetic and logic, there's not much else. The hard part of jobs is being able to understand the language of the system and being able to work with various programs/programming languages. But if you really want to do great things you'll probably need some type of advanced math/physics knowledge that will help you solve a problem no one could solve efficiently before.
>>
>>8972677
I'm gonna go ahead and guess you're a freshman strugglig in mechanics and calculus thinking "you'll never use it again," and if that's the case, you're deluding yourself. It's true you won't use a ton of calculus outside of r&d, but the computational thinking you're meant to takeaway from those courses is rehashed in every single course you'll take in engineering and it doesn't get easier, unless you maybe buckle down and stop making excuses like "I'm bad at math." If you really are "bad at math," you probably shouldn't be in any hard science... (cuz you're a brainlet)
>>
>>8972704
Am in diff eq and thermo at the moment. I started pretty much having trouble once I got to Calc 3 but diff eq just feels like its ripping me a new asshole
>>
>>8972712
i wouldn't be concerned about ever needing to solve diff eq's, because you probably won't ever need to, but i would be very concerned that you don't possess the intelligence required to do so, which will certainly fuck you in the long run
>>
>>8972677
Question for math nerds here.

I am in Electronics engineering, about to be a double degree electronics engineering + math (after finding a love for linear algebra in calc 2), in my final year what path is best applied to engineering, the calculus stuff, algebra, topology, waves (i imagine waves/fourier series for electronics would be good).

Thanks for the help friends.
>>
>>8972754
I should clarify, in final year subjects we get heaps of electives of math classes we can pick from to make up the math major.

Need guidance in waht will be best for EE.
>>
>>8972754
just do numerical analysis like the rest of the engineers and move on with life
>>
>>8972879
OP here. So something Semi similar, for whatever reason my school doesn't require Matlab for Chemeng, I've had to learn mathematica for all the math classes, but should I pay out of my pocket for matlab even though it won't count towards my degree?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.