[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /sci/, I've got a question about the history of our consciousness.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1231212312.jpg (42KB, 550x411px) Image search: [Google]
1231212312.jpg
42KB, 550x411px
Hi /sci/, I've got a question about the history
of our consciousness. During the evolution
of our species was there ever a time period
where some of our ancestors had developed a consciousness
and some hadn't? I don't know anything about that
and I think it's super interesting.
>>
>>8971841
It wouldn't have been that extreme. It would happen in very tiny increments, with many levels of pseudo-consciousness in between what you consider conscious and not conscious. We are only used to such extremes because homo sapiens happen to have developed the highest level of consciousness, and also out-survived everything even remotely close. This leaves a large gap between humans and the next highest species.
>>
>>8971841
>non-human animals aren't conscious
How/when/why consciousness evolved in animals is a better question
I think it is an emergent property of cephalization
>>
>>8971841
most likely small change, starting with awareness of surroundings, then others, both seen in most modern mammals. monkeys have very basic society since they ae aware of others. then goes to awareness of self-seen in modern man
>>
>>8971841
Check out the bicamerality theory.
>>
>>8973661
Her eis a link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

This, BTW, is a central part to the plot of a well known Cyberpunk book.

The thing is, it appears that consciousness did not appear everywhere at the same time, it seems it spread out slowly across the world.
>>
>>8971841
Probably sortly after or upon the development of neuro systems. I'm not convinced that vascular plants are not conscious sensu alto. All you need for a mind to experience itself is symbolic biosemiosis .
>>
>>8971841
Evolution is a big old sike.
No such thing.
>>
>>8973742
>All you need for a mind to experience itself is symbolic biosemiosis .
Sure. Right.

And how do you go about that?
>>
>>8971841

Even now we live in an era where there are people like Mochizuki, Perelman, and Terry Tao walking the earth, and there are also downy tards and sub-Saharan Africans. In fact, the variation is probably more extreme today than in the past within humans.
>>
File: evolution.gif (79KB, 711x664px) Image search: [Google]
evolution.gif
79KB, 711x664px
>>8971841
>>
Consciousness likely predates humanity. There are also probably differences in levels of consciousness between people let alone species.
>>
>>8971841
All we have to do is continue to study the emerging consciousness of dolphins and elephants, both species show signs of religious beliefs now which is a pretty clear indication of self awareness
>>
>>8971841
Consciousness is a spectrum. I suggest to start with worms.
>>
Humans aren't as complex as you think, you should study octopus and try and figure out what makes them tick
>>
File: Screenshot_20170614-143836.jpg (599KB, 1019x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170614-143836.jpg
599KB, 1019x1056px
>>8975495
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.