[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I heard an exobiologist who said that living organism are made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 10593741-17425566.png (304KB, 958x642px) Image search: [Google]
10593741-17425566.png
304KB, 958x642px
I heard an exobiologist who said that living organism are made of carbon on Earth, but that it could be other elements on another planet.

In the same way, could the element that allow us to breath be something else like fluorine for example on another planet?
>>
>>8971328
>>>/gtfo/
take your poorly worded questions with you
>>
>>8971329
English is not my mother tongue. You needn't to so be so rude.
>>
>>8971328
yes, even on earth life can exist without oxygen
>>8971329
you Sir, you suck
>>
One reason carbon is so good is because it can form four covalent bonds with other elements instead of just 2 or 3; this provides a lot of "room" for molecules to grow into useful shapes and configurations.

You should read about what exactly oxygen does for us, namely oxidative phosphorylation. It is a very good electron acceptor, and this affords the electrons donated to the electron transport chain via the oxidation of carbons in sugar a whole lot of potential energy. These electrons are able to do a whole lot of work as they pass from one electron acceptor to the next, more electronegative acceptor (with oxygen being the final thing to be reduced).

Asking whether oxygen is necessary on another planet presupposes the existence of mitochondrial electron transport as it exists on Earth. Quite an assumption.
>>
>>8971331
It's exceedingly rare. The only life I'm aware of that can live sans oxygen are in miles-deep oceanic trenches near volcanic vents.
>>
>>8971344
is this bait?
>>
>>8971348
It isn't. Give some examples?

Ok, a number of organisms can survive in an inactive state in anoxic conditions, e.g. tardigrades and brine shrimp. But what about live and thrive in *active* states? Reproduce?
>>
>>8971361
plants and most bacteria
>>
>>8971365
Plants absolutely need oxygen to survive
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=760

It looks like you're right about at least some bacteria though.
>>
could be silicon and sulphur, rather than
carbon and oxygen, but would require
much different conditions
>>
>>8971331
>yes, even on earth life can exist without oxygen

This is false. All known Earth organisms require oxygen to simply exist. Just break the organism down into its chemistry and you will always find oxygen somewhere.

Don't confuse processing sulphur in deep sea vents as not needing oxygen.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.