[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any mathematicians here that keep some special theorems to themselves.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 234112345.png (615KB, 889x593px) Image search: [Google]
234112345.png
615KB, 889x593px
Any mathematicians here that keep some special theorems to themselves.
Using them to do research and perhaps even publishing results. but not sharing that specific theorem?
>>
File: 1471048471276.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1471048471276.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
You wouldn't be able to use it to publish results without sharing it.

Secret theorems are a thing of the 1500s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scipione_del_Ferro#Diffusion_of_his_work
>>
>>8969873
find a non trivial set which becomes less and less dense in the natruals as it progresses but when you sum up all it's elemnts with one another gives you the set of all naturals of the form 4n+2 for all n
>>
Yeah, I've been sitting on that theory of everything for years. I just don't have time to publish it, and relativity unified with quantum mechanics is no big deal anyway.
>>
>>8969876

You could always keep a theorem secret in order to get a head start on the research associated with it.

>discover secret theorem
>do 5 papers worth of work, building upon that secret theorem
>publish everything when ready to secure tenure, give breathing room for relaxing, tackling pet projects, teaching, etc.
>>
>>8969873
I have a secret algorithm for splitting the bill
>>
>>8969884
>You could always keep a theorem secret in order to get a head start on the research associated with it.
you could, but you might get scooped
>>
>>8969886
is it credit card roulette? everyone at the table gives their card to the waitress. the waitress then shuffles behind her back and chooses one. the ev of this is the same but var is huge.
>>
>>8969899
>.the ev of this is the same
Only if all of your friends order the exact same dollar amount of food as each other on average. Would not be the same ev for a skinny person.
>>
>>8969884
If you're building on that theorem then you likely need to cite it. If you somehow have found a way to make only tangential results to your theorem then all you've done is managed to shine a light on it and it's only a matter of time before someone scoops you and looks all the more brilliant for it.
>>
>>8969883
OP asked for mathematicians not physics plebs.
>>
>>8969873
I have a secret algorithm for solving certain types of equations. With it I can do it about twice as fast as everyone else. So far I've only used it as a bar trick.
>>
Yea I know the Riemann theorem. I can prove all kinds of theorems with it.
>>
>>8969876
>It is suspected that this is due to the practice of mathematicians at the time of publicly challenging one another. When a mathematician accepted another's challenge, each mathematician needed to solve the other's problems. The loser in a challenge often lost funding or his university position. Del Ferro was fearful of being challenged and likely kept his greatest work secret so that he could use it to defend himself in the event of a challenge.

Kek'd at the idea of math duels.
>>
>>8969889
>>8970518

Nobody is going to scoop you if it's nontrivial and if you keep it a secret. Nobody scooped Andrew Wiles.
>>
>>8969884
Then you'll have a Mochizuki issue and have to spend the next couple decades explaining shit to people.
>>
>>8971188

Who cares? You're now a legend! Let the brainlets stumble for a few years and then claim your Fields Medal.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.