[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why couldn't we carry around individual hard disk drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Why couldn't we carry around individual hard disk drive platters as a portable storage medium instead of flash drives and CDs?
Think about it, we already know how to read data off of portable disk-shaped things with inexpensive CD drives, why couldn't they be adapted to accept and read a HDD platter?

Granted there's the issue of magnets fucking up the data, but just cover it in a thin, high-magnetic-permeability case that the adapted drive can just open slightly to allow the read/write head to get at the platter.

Higher storage capacity on a more robust object, plus I miss disks. Why wouldn't it work?
>>
>>8968014
Flash drives go up to 1TB in storage, are easy to carry around on a keychain, and their read/write speed is pretty fast. Why do you feel the need to try and replace that with a disk? It comes with much more problems than it solves. You can't just plop a hard disk platter into a CD drive and have it work.
>>
>>8968014
External hard drives exist.
>>
>>8968014
>Why wouldn't it work?
because you fucking touch yourself at night.
There is a fucking sterile vacuum inside HDD's.
You can fuck them up by messing with the screws. Not straight up opening the things up, just turning the fucking screws a bit.
The conversion you're proposing would be stupidly complicated and fragile, with literally no fucking benefit whatsoever over an EHDD or ESSD, or even a fucking flash stick and lots of drawbacks.
>>
>>8968318
>writing the word fuck gives me a sexual relief
>>
>>8968336
you see too much into it
maybe you should poke one of your eyes out
>>
they're too fragile.
a single fingerprint can fuck it up
>>
>>8968336
Your idea is bad and you should feel bad.
>>
>>8968014
That used to be a possibility but the tolerances when you rely on the Winchester Effect (look it up) the requirement for smoothness makes it quite impractical to remove the platters, reinsert them and have the whole thing work.

The tiniest speck of dust will result in a head crash and the tiniest offset will cause a throw on the servo track.

>>8968318
>I pretend to be a /sci/entist and they believe me in /pol/.
Just leave.
>>
>>8968661
blow me faggot
you said the same thing I did
>>
>>8968014
>What are floppy disks
>What are zip disks
>>
>>8968318
>There is a fucking sterile vacuum inside HDD's.
No there's not. It's air. There has to be air to maintain the head gap. Only the helium-filled drives are sealed.
>>
>>8968014
>Why couldn't we carry around individual hard disk drive platters as a portable storage medium instead of flash drives and CDs?
Because they're fragile, and it's easy to damage data on them with handling.

>>8968318
>You can fuck them up by messing with the screws. Not straight up opening the things up, just turning the fucking screws a bit.
Nonsense.
>>
>>8968014
Are you retarded? External HDD drives already exist and if you wan to get the plate out of the drive then you are fucking retarded, that simply does not work, they will just break. And why the fuck would you even think about doing that?

HDDs are nearly obsolete anyway, just use a SSD if you want to carry mass storage around with you.
>>
>>8968674
>^F Winchester
No.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.