[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Broadly speaking, how fast could your average guy go from basic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_7051.jpg (197KB, 1698x1140px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7051.jpg
197KB, 1698x1140px
Broadly speaking, how fast could your average guy go from basic high/school, middle school level math, to graduate level, if he had plenty of time to study?

Internet and textbook resources, not following a curriculum set by a school, that kind of thing.
>>
7 years IMO. There is very little content in the math you need to know before calculus. However, this content is very, very important, and usually when people are struggling in calculus, it's the algebraic manipulation and trig they are actually struggling with.

Get things like properties of exponentiation, logarithms and such down. Note also that this is not a memorization task (though you should have them memorized with time) since everything can be re-derived from definitions and axioms. Trig identities are super important too.

Once you're done with calculus, you're at the "typical mathematics freshman in university" point, and university will get you ready for graduate school in 4 years. That 4 years is a lot of dedication though; I was setting aside 40-60 hrs / week every semester through undergrad for math alone.
>>
File: 1493419818381.jpg (31KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493419818381.jpg
31KB, 1280x720px
>>8965274
>Not taking 18.01
>>
>>8965301
There are some random things are worth committing to memory btw, just for the sake of pattern recognition. I'd be able to recognize powers of 2 up to 2^12 and powers of 3 up to 3^6 and small powers of other numbers too. Also all perfect squares up to 25^2. Decimal expansions of small square roots like root(2) and root(3) and common trig decimal expansions like root(2)/2, root(3)/2, and pi/3, pi/4, pi/6.
>>
>>8965274
What do you consider graduate level? You could probably learn Precalc, Trig, Calc and calc 2 all in a year if you dedicated 2 hours each day to learning it.
>>
>>8965370
>Probably
Actually I mean definitely if you put the time in. The reason I know this is because I have seen it done.
>>
>>8965274
You could do all the stuff before calculus in less than a year.
>>
>>8965274
It's possible to go up to cal 1 in three semester, you would have to go to summer school.
>>
>>8966720
Semester-1 Algebra
Semester-2- geo and alge 2
Semester 3- Cal1
>>
>>8965370
trig identities is what fucks people up big time.
>>
>>8965274
One day if you're not a brainlet.
You're not a brainlet, are you?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.