[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /sci / On one of my problem sets for quantum mechanics there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 405.jpg (51KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
405.jpg
51KB, 750x600px
Sup /sci /
On one of my problem sets for quantum mechanics there is a case where a particle in a potential well (V= infinity for |x|>=x0) at t=0 is described by the wave function ψ (0,x)=N(x-x0)(x+x0)
Does that even make sense physically? I mean it's not even an eigenfunction of the Hamilton operator
>inb4 no homework threads: the only thing I had to do was normalize ψ which I already did
>>
>>8964826
Yeah, it makes sense. You're right that it's not an eigenfunction but it doesn't need to be if you're just considering a wavefunction frozen in time.

That function is a superposition of the eigenstates of the potential well, if you take the inner product of that function with an eigenstate then you get the amplitude of that eigenstate in the superposition.

So if [math]|\alpha\rangle[/math] index the eigenstates of the well then any wavefunction in that environment can be written as:
[eqn]|\psi\rangle=\sum_\alpha\langle\alpha|\psi\rangle|\alpha\rangle
[/eqn]where, in the case of spatial wavefunctions:
[eqn]\langle\alpha|\psi\rangle=\int^\infty_{-\infty}\alpha^*(x)\psi^*(x)\text{d}x
[/eqn]
>>
>>8966329
oops, the psi shouldn't be starred in that integral
>>
>>8964826
Here is something I don't understand.

Schrodinger's Cat is not a paradox. The particle will be in a super position until it interacts with the poison-dispensing detector. Once it is detected, the wave function collapses. And then the cat is either alive or dead, only one or the other before you even open the box.

Why did Schrodinger not realize this immediately?
>>
>>8966388
lazy troll is lazy
kys
>>
>>8966428
I want answers, not memes.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.