[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /sci/, I'm not /sci/ but I just realized that I find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

Hi /sci/, I'm not /sci/ but I just realized that I find radio waves fascinating and that I know nothing about how they work. I started reading "basics of radio waves" on dummies dot com and I'm not sure I understand some stuff and I have some questions.

>Transmitters cause electrons to move so that they, in turn, create the radio waves.
So is there some kind of "pattern" that the electrons form that retains itself in the form of a wave? Ho do they not get "messed up" as they travel, especially when there are different radio stations broadcasting different things? Also, can a station tell how many people are listening, and if so how?

>The fields of the radio wave aren’t just one strength all the time; they oscillate (vary between a positive and a negative value) the way that a vibrating string moves above and below its stationary position.
What does that mean, that they vary between positive and negative "values"? My guess is that since it's a wave, it goes up and down, and the down is like an inverse of when it's up, basically?

Also, when it talks about electrons moving in sync, does that mean just random electrons that exist in everything? Can radio waves travel through solid objects and liquids? How can a radiowave's wavelength remain constant if it's traveling through different mediums with presumably different amounts of electrons? Can radio waves travel through vacuums at all?
>>
>>8961348
If there is a amateur radio society in your country, hit their website for basic data on using moving electrons for fun. Other than that, an intro to Physics text should cover the basics in a few chapters.
>>
>>8961348
Hey anon

Radio waves are photons at a different frequency - it's the same stuff being emitted from a flash light just way slower so you don't see it, but radios can see it, so guess what - all the effects that can modify visibility can modify radio waves, just in different ways

Radio waves go through walls because they're too low energy to interact with matter. Same with x-rays except the opposite, they are too high energy

When you see multiple colors coming at you at once, they're all there - you can split white light into a rainbow, all those individual frequencies are there
>>
>>8961406
>>8961417
Thanks.

>Radio waves are photons at a different frequency
I remember learning in a physics class something about how light is caused by photons being emitted when, I think, electrons change valence level. But I just watched a lecture on youtube where the guy compares radio waves to water ripples, where each individual water "drop" will move up and down, but not actually move outward. He mentions photons, but doesn't explain how they fit in. I got the impression that when this wave hits your eye, it then interprets it into an image. But what of photons, then? (Also, where does the photon physically come from?)

Also, how do different radio station broadcasts not conflict with one another? I'm under the impression it's because their frequencies are different, but why does that matter?
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.