[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's with this fucking meme going around that time doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_7957.gif (1MB, 195x229px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7957.gif
1MB, 195x229px
What's with this fucking meme going around that time doesn't exist. You can't just gerrymander the definition of the basic universal measure to explain, terribly, how you dont agree with it.

Time Exists.
>>
>>8959775
Time is relative to the observer.
>>
>>8959775
They mean it doesn't physically exist, which is kind of right.
Time is a logical construct that exists because we logically require it to.

For example, there is no "last week". It's not a destination you can go to; that's why time travel is impossible. You can't go to "next week" either. Time traveling forward OR backward isn't a thing because we only register time in relation to the present.

Even if you reversed entropy, you wouldn't have traveled in time because (causally) you would have the point in time where there was X entropy, the process of reversing it Y, and the point in time with identical Z entropy. But you would still know X existed before Z. Plus time dilation and relativity make time inconsistent universally.

Time is just the logical construct we have to describe causality. Even if the universe suffered heat death, and had virtually no motion and no information processing, time would not cease to exist.
>>
it depends on the model. in relativity you have a four dimensional manifold that is the set of all possible events and it makes no distinction between time now, the future, or the past.
this is, however, a too strict model since we can identify the time passage intuitively (there's asymmetry between past and future) and that happens because of chaos and randomness in large scale systems. do they contradict each other? to an extent because relativity is not a theory of everything and doesn't take into account randomness but if everything was deterministic it would still be possible to both statistical arguments of passage of time and relativity to be right
>>
>>8959775
But I took a philosophy course once and watched a lot of new age YouTube videos and they said that time is an illusion and our consciousness can control reality. Also I got dropped on my head as a baby.
>>
>>8960382
I'm no expert but from what I have learned in quantum mechanics it seems like time has other implications besides just causality. Saying it only has to do with causality is true in ordinary kinematics, but what about how quantum states evolve? Energy in quantum mechanics isn't just a statement of how the thing is moving, and time plays a really important role in how or if energy is conserved. Something something T-symmetry something something Noether's theorem. I'm probably too ignorant to properly verbalized it but the whole "energy and time are just constructs to describe causality and motion" meme seems way too oversimplified.
>>
>>8960382
>Time traveling forward OR backward isn't a thing because we only register time in relation to the present.
If i lock you in a box and accelerate it up to near the speed of light, and do a loop, you will no longer agree with the outside time passage rate and will by any measure perceive yourself as having traveled forward in time.
>>
>>8959775
i agree with OP
"time" exists in the same way the x axis exists
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.