[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is math the hardest subject when logically it should be the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1494704005387.jpg (9KB, 249x205px) Image search: [Google]
1494704005387.jpg
9KB, 249x205px
Why is math the hardest subject when logically it should be the easiest? Everything you do solving a math problem or writing a proof is a step that logically leads to a next step. It's not like Literature or Philosophy where you have to analyze someone else's deep ideas, generate your own original ideas, and tie them together in a paper. All the information is plainly in front of you, and should tell you a first step that sets off a cascade of other logical steps, but it's still extremely difficult.
>>
Math is harder for people because it is more abstract. Although math is unbelievably good at modeling the real world, unlike other subjects, it is not tangible in the sense that it maps directly onto any one specific real experience. For example, you can observe an enormous range of phenomena which can be modeled effectively by the natural numbers, but the structure of the natural numbers themselves cannot be characterized completely by any one of them. Therefore, because we can't rely on everyday empirical intuition for mathematical reasoning, the ideas that we create in math have to be independent and rigorously defined, which makes them much harder to internalize.
>>
>>8958665
>but it's still extremely difficult.
It really depends on your level and on what you want to solve.
>>
Shit teachers all the way up to high school.

Assertion: Anyone deeply passionate about math will want to constantly expand and explore the ideas further down the rabbit hole.

You can't dedicate your life to exploring math if you're teaching it, therefore those who do aren't teachers.

Therefore teachers aren't passionate about math.
I think there's also a systematic problem in general. Perhaps we should introduce formal logic at 1-st or 2-nd grade level, and make sure to provide a simple motivation for every definition. like, "Why do we need Polynomials?" "Polynomials are well-understood functions that you can use to approximate any other function that matters very well.
>>
>>8958665
I think about this from time to time. I always think that all we do in mathematics is equivalent to writing sentences using an infinite table of mathematical equivalences. And that would be easy!

The problem is... we don't have that table. We only have an ape brain. And we now know that there is a river between truth and proof. Not only are not all true statements provable, some provable statements need a lot of machinery to be proven.
>>
>>8958665
People don't think in a logical, step-by-step, "from A, deduce B" manner. They think using experience and intuition.
>>
because the majority of Math practice is based on chain drills so there is a ton of room for error.

even tho the solving the formula is what matters
>>
>>8958665
Because literature and philosophy are bullshit and even though people feel like they're "analyzing deep ideas" at the end of the day it's a matter of opinion.
>>
>>8958665
Algebraic Geometry is essentially just finding roots of polynomials.
>>
what are you talking about physics is harder
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.