[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to terraform Australia with technologies being

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: 37687.png (149KB, 662x599px) Image search: [Google]
37687.png
149KB, 662x599px
Australia has large untapped reserves of lands that could be used for agriculture if we solve the water issue. Right now, we are using a small proportion of Australia's lands for growing stuff, because our continent experiences extremely variable rainfall. How can we make Australia the food bowl of Asia and solve the food/water security issue?
>>
>>8958609
If we can unlock lands the size of France, Germany and Britain combined for farming , we could probably solve world hunger.
>>
>>8958677
Pretty sure your government would just give all the food to the abbos.
>>
File: 1496668576564.jpg (1MB, 1287x1901px) Image search: [Google]
1496668576564.jpg
1MB, 1287x1901px
>>8958609
>>8958609
In the next 50 years, we'd have cheap automated desalination plants with graphene membranes, that promises to cut energy usage by 99 percent. Coupled with hundreds of millions of Cheap perovskite solar panels, that would make energy practically free, and you could theoretically supplement rainfall with desalinated water and use the increase in productive agricultural lands to pay for the desalination plant. You could have hundreds of carbon neutral desalination plants dotted around the coasts of Australia, supplying water to inland farms. New generations of fertilisers would help too. Israel has shown that we can use desalination to green deserts, with even outdated desalination technologies. They grow their own food.
>>
>>8958609
Deserts have more issues than just not having enough water
>>
>>8958719
I'm not interested in Terra forming deserts but grasslands
>>
>>8958769
If grass can grow there how come whatever plant u wanna grow there cant
>>
File: savanna trees lge2.jpg (77KB, 550x241px) Image search: [Google]
savanna trees lge2.jpg
77KB, 550x241px
>>8958769
The native grasses in Australia evolved to survive harsh conditions. They're very efficient at using water/moisture in the air. Eurasian crops like Barley wouldn't survive in these places. The soil is shit too.
>>
File: hap-banner.jpg (209KB, 1406x538px) Image search: [Google]
hap-banner.jpg
209KB, 1406x538px
>>8958813
Recently, a few farmers have been using aquifers to regenerate grasslands into proper farming lands, so I think it's possible. Although these ground water sources are a few years away from being completely exhausted.
>>
File: R0011114_2.jpg (42KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
R0011114_2.jpg
42KB, 384x288px
>>8958831
>>
The main issue I see with this is political. If anybody lives in Australia you will know what I mean.

Hopefully we will be able to develop systems that can maintain crops in arid lands (you guys have named afew good ideas already), unfortunately Australia is pretty fkn poor and probably wouldn't have enough money to sustain this, unless private enterprise swarmed the area.

Where I see the main issue is with alot he boongs complaining about "muh stolen land", the shit argument is basically still at the forefront of our contemporary political discussions. Unless it dies down and people stop caring about them (which I doubt will happen any time soon), there is no way they will let us take any of their indigenous land without a fight.

It's hard enough for us in some places as it is without interest groups getting up and arms (the spit is an example, on the gold coast where I live).
>>
To get more CO2 from China? I thought you wanted the emissions lower and save the globe.
>>
We don't even live on most of the currently inhabitable land, why would we need to terraform it. We could probably quite easily sustain a population >100 million
>>
>>8959811
I don't think so. We have too many droughts. We'd need to fix the water problem.
>>
>>8958609
Yes, Easily
Solar shades to cool the area down
mass desalination plants to get water there
>>
>>8959417
>Australia is poor
Wtf are talking about
Australia is one of the richest countries in the world.
Kys
>>
>>8958677
>world hunger
That doesnt exist, what you mean is African hunger due to blacks being incapable of resource management and population control.
>>
>>8962162
THIS
even if brought enough food to africa, the population would simply explode and after one or two generations the starving would start again
>>
>>8962162
>>8962489
It's obvious you know nothing about what you are talking about.
>incapable of resource management
Yes, literally disenfranchised from it.
Because "market liberalization" took all the resources and destoryed any remant of the emergent systems that used to provide on the way out. All to make shit to sell to retards like you, who in turn function as wage slaves and money laundries turning 'capital' into wealth for the global elite.
>>
>>8958609
Engiqueers and their masters need to stay the fuck away from ecological systems.
You've done enough. Australia will only get more dry with fractured biogeochemical cycles and ecological systems. Aridification is a huge deal. The best possible thing we can do is maintain biodiversty that is already adapted to arid climates.
Literally retarded, think for once.
>>
somebody post that ted talk where the guy figured out that simulating herd migrations with farm animals will turn deserts pack into grasslands and forests, and he had several photos that proved that it worked over teh course of years
>>
>>8963016
thats literally the dumbest thing ive read on this board. Think before you type something stupid
>>
>>8962703
Market liberalization would create an agricultural boom, you retard. Europeans should be eating African tomatoes.

Fucking redditors and their lies.
>>
>>8962158
Internal investment is a fucking mess here and threatens to completely destroy the economy.
>>
>>8959428
what?
>>
>>8959428
Wouldn't turning low carbon absorbing grasslands into high density crops reduce emissions?
>>8958691
Most likely we will use this method.
>>
>>8958609

Just need to rebuild the rain-forests and brush that the abos burnt down

They could, yes. Lots of water and manpower.
>>
>>8963539
I'm sure tax reform could fix that problem
>>
>>8963539
Internal investment in the housing bubble is going to fuck us.
>>
>>8958691
Perovshit is a meme.
>>
>>8958609
If we can get a human being to the moon then why haven't we ever sent humans to Australia?
>>
>>8958609

Step 1, collect all that excess tropical rainfall on the northern bit of the continent and pipeline it south to drier climates.

Step 2, start planting forests in areas being irrigated by this transported rainwater, thus building up a shade providing canopy and means of soil water retention.

Step 3, pipe water further south as the forests take root, their presence alone will drop ground temperatures and raise humidity enough to allow natural rainfalls to increase.

Step 4, continue the process as far as collected rainwater supply can achieve, either call it mission accomplished or use nuclear power to desalinate water for cheap and continue.

Step ???, once ground temperatures across much of Australia drop, rainwater across the continent will increase, probably enough to keep the planted forest alive even if we shut off the water pumps. Continue pumping rainwater/desalinated water into Australia's deserts to form large artificial lakes which further increase total annual rainfall and act as reservoirs for agriculture.
>>
>>8963016
>simulating herd migrations with farm animals will turn deserts pack into grasslands and forests,
Farm animals attract rain? I doubt that.
>>
File: image.jpg (919KB, 4999x3488px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
919KB, 4999x3488px
>>8963448
Market liberalization results in the destruction of ecological systems and the traditional agriculture they support, for timber, fish, minerals and fossil fuels. The natives are striped of liberty to freely live in their home and are not agents in this process. The freshly raped earth is planted with large scale monocultures that destory soil and are susceptible to famine and drought do to the loss of biodiversty. The nativies are given a penance for their economically forced labor if they are lucky enough not to be wiped out by paramilitary upon market liberalization, as is happening to the native congenese right now for example. The produce is taken to the international market supply chain. The profits are taken by the bankers and FDI'ers to build superyatchs and patronize their nanny-states. Or in the case of China the state just pillages by itself.
>market liberalization would result in an agricultural boom
That's busts into poverty and famine as has been clearly demonstrated many times over. The world bank makes its transactions quasi-transparent, and you can read all about it on its website. FDI is a different mater.
>redditors andbtheir lies.
I don't blame you for not being informed.
The power of propaganda isn't in what it says, it's what it prevents from being said. You hear a lot about starving Africans from the corporate media but the circumstances are always obfuscated.
>>
>>8963865
>Farm animals attract rain? I doubt that.

No it doesn't. What it's supposed to do is add organic matter and reseed barren dirt via the droppings, which helps what rainfall there is to infiltrate rather than runoff.
>>
>>8965298
I though herd animals disturbed the top soil?
>>
>>8959417
empowering indeginous groups was a mistake

>africa
>australia
>israel
>>
>>8959417
Native Americans said the same thing about their land 200 years ago. You guys need Australian Manifest Destiny
>>
>>8963016
>>8965298
Found the TED talk. The guy has a few decent points, but overall he seems like a hack
>ONLY ONE OPTION, NO ALTERNATIVE EXCEPT LIVESTOCK
>look at these before and after pictures
I could tell it was bullshit from his New Mexico before and after photos. Most of the Mountain West/high desert in the U.S. was arid or semi-arid a couple hundred years ago. Only after people intensively irrigated and started farming the land did it get greener. Even during drought periods, a lot of the richer soil will revert to arid dirt within a few years. This guy doesn't even take natural conditions like droughts into account, and also neglects to mention that cattle weren't introduced to North America until about 400 years ago. There were almost no domesticated livestock in semi-arid regions until the early 1800s, and only wild bison and elk/deer roamed in herds like this guy is talking about. The Native Americans definitely didn't keep them as stock and manage their grazing though; they followed the herds across the plains and hunted when the herds were stopped. His argument that grazing has to be carefully and scientifically managed is pretty much unfounded.
>>
>>8967628
Forgot the link if anyone is interested. Seems like this guy has the beginning of a cult following from people who don't understand ecology, but clap anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI
>>
>>8964158
oh so progress is bad?
>>
>>8963808
Step 5, Australia is no longer full, import refugees
>>
>>8967878
Bad troll is bad
>>
>>8958609
Good luck with that, in reality these parts of Australia are a demonstration of what the rest of the world will look like in a few decades thanks to climate change.
>>
>>8962714
/thread
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.