[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /sci/, I was wondering something and was hoping you guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1228088724461.jpg (122KB, 1152x777px) Image search: [Google]
1228088724461.jpg
122KB, 1152x777px
Hey, /sci/, I was wondering something and was hoping you guys could help. In Star Wars Legends the Empire had a procedure called Base Delta Zero, basically a big orbital bombardment. It was described as:

"Base Delta Zero denoted the most severe of several levels of destruction that could be directed against a center of resistance, and involved laying waste to an entire planet by orbital bombardment, reducing the upper crust of a planet to molten slag[2][3] or in some cases, atomizing the planet's top-soil."

My understanding of this would be the "upper crust" would be around 15-25km deep, as Earth's continental crust is 30-50km deep. Legends also explains that three Star Destroyers could perform this within a "matter of hours".

Using this information is there any way of knowing how much energy that'd be? Or how powerful the shots from the ISDs were?
>>
>>8956960
I can tell you right off the bat that is fucking stupid and you can't make sense of Star Wars physics without ludicrous mental gymnastics e.g basically admitting it's all fucking magic.

You would need tens of gigatons of TNT equivalent to blast away a single big hill.
Liquefying entire planetary crust with three, kilometer long space ships powered by some roided up fusion reactors is insultingly stupid.
You would need trillions of tons of antimatter for something like that.
>>
>>8956996

No offense, but I'm not asking if it's realistic or anything. I'm asking how much energy would be required to do it. It's scifi, you should never expect it to be realistic. But that doesn't mean we can't apply real world science to it to figure out what it would require to achieve those results.
>>
>>8957004
My rough calculation was at least 100 billion kilograms of anti matter assuming you only need to heat the top half of the crust to melting point and let the heat from the mantle finish the job.

This figure doesn't include a lot of factors that could make the real energy requirement much higher.
>>
>>8957004
>But that doesn't mean we can't apply real world science to it to figure out what it would require to achieve those results.
Smashing Mars into us would do it.
What, you want a number?
For what purpose?
It's gonna be a 1 with so many zeroes you will fall asleep reading them.

Yes, I'm the king of all parties.
>>
>>8957004
>if we discard all real world science and suppose this thing exists, with no explanation of how, then using real world science, what is its energy output?

If you're going to suppose that these things work then what's the point in asking fact-based questions about them?

It's like asking how many calories santa burns per hour to deliver all the presents in the world at the same time. Sure I guess you could calculate the energy required to do that feat but considering that the method is simply "magic", does the energy required mean anything?
>>
>>8957029

That's a really big number. Goddamn.

>>8957036

Basically I want to know how much firepower an ISD has. So the amount of energy required to achieve these results over the course of a few hours divided by three should give the firepower of an individual ISD, I think. I'm not well versed on science matters.
>>
>>8957029
I don't buy your numbers. Show your math.
>>
>>8957056
>t. teacher

Fuck your shit teach. Do you own work on your own time or respect Anon's results and shut up.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.