[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Physics major >Looking through class catalog to find the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Untitled.png (316KB, 450x470px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
316KB, 450x470px
>Physics major
>Looking through class catalog to find the appropriate calculus class I need
>Notice there's an entire section called "Business Calculus"
I'll never take Business Calc, but I'm curious about it. What's even in such a class?
>>
>>8955575
Brainlet Calculus
>>
>>8955575
A lot of non-physics/math/engineering courses have """calculus""" classes that are actually just like basic algebra and graphing with maybe a dash of derivatives and what they mean at some point.
>>
>>8955602
>Not taking Gender Studies Calculus
>Not studying complex and nonbinary sexuality fields and gender-fluid dynamics
>Not learning how to integrate cis-gender oppression over safe spaces
>Not learning how to optimize the tolerance of genital trans-forms and negate eigenchromosomes
>>
>>8955575
My calculus teacher described it as baby calculus that the business department forces the math department to offer because they have so much more money. The business brainlets want to put calculus on their resumes because it impresses normies. It goes into the basics of derivatives and maybe some integral calculus, but not even u-sub.
>>
>>8955649
>eigenchromosomes
kek
>>
>>8955575
It's much less formal and much less rigorous than physics/engineer, let alone mathematics. It doesn't go very deeply into integrals and half of the semester is pre-calculus bs.
>>
I've taken a business calc before, when I had no idea what I wanted to do with myself as a teenager
its basically calculus-lite, a lot less theory and more real world applications, how it applies to economics, etc
>>
>>8955575
I'm a math tutor at a local community college and most questions I get tend to be algebra, however occasionally I get the calculus question.

When it comes to business calc (or applied calc from where I am) it dwells on the simpler side of calculus-based things.

For example in your regular calculus one class you go into limits, doing epsilon-delta proofs/definition as a little introduction. This is not the case as for business calculus as they'll explain limits in a more "drag your fingers as you approach a point" kind of approach which isn't bad, but it isn't rigorous.

Limits tend to be very simple as well, you mostly deal with rational expressions which you cancel terms and sometimes just straight plug n' chug. You don't deal with natural logs or trig.

Trig functions are completely absent and logs don't usually come up. Most derivatives are polynomials with the occasional rational expression or fraction exponents, sometimes some easy chain rule. Just think of every problem in calculus, and limit to only polynomials.

It's pretty much the same as your standard calculus, but watered down.
>>
>>8955869
>they'll explain limits in a more "drag your fingers as you approach a point" kind of approach
What does this mean?
>>
>>8955873
Imagine your usually two dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, then draw an arbitrary function that's continuous as well.

We learned in calculus we can define limit rigorously by the ε, δ definition of limit. A professor might say to explain the limit visually by taking one finger coming from the left, and another finger coming from the right, and approaching some value of a function by dragging your fingers along the function line towards the point, then seeing what it /seems/ to evaluate to.

The latter approach is taken by business calc and glossed over a bit, while both are taken by your standard calculus, at least for me.
>>
File: keksimus maximus.jpg (5KB, 121x128px) Image search: [Google]
keksimus maximus.jpg
5KB, 121x128px
>>8955649
kek moody algebra
>>8955869
That's kind of sad really, it makes sense that business majors don't need to understand continuity but still, not even going over trig functions? How do they even use calculus is they don't know how to take derivatives or integrals of the most basic things, hell if they ever take a stochastics or mathematical finance class (black scholes and what not) class then they will have no idea what to do.
>>
>>8955575
its calculus, but they get rid of quadrants 2, 3 and 4.
>>
>>8955575

They use calculus to determine loan rates and crap like that. It's just 2D calculus but you have money as the y axis.
>>
>>8955937
Well business majors rarely take those classes, economics majors do
>>
>>8956322
math classes for econ are about the most intense you'll see out of all the social sciences

I had to take normal calc classes before being allowed to take mathematical econ / micro/macro with calc
>>
>>8956516
Good deal of statistics too
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.