[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good set for chemistry? I'm studying and want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

What's a good set for chemistry? I'm studying and want to do some labwork in my own time and an opportunity to get cheap glassware came up but I have no idea what I should definitely get. There are some obvious things but what is something not obvious that I will regret not getting?
I have limited experience in the lab because of the public school system but I desperately need to start doing stuff right now. I mostly just need to work on my skills and abilities to do basic reactions because my theory is solid but I have done literally none of it IRL
>>
>Erlenmeyer flasks and beakers in 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, and 1000ml
>Volumetric flasks in 5, 10, 50, 100, and 500ml
>Graduated cylinders in 10, 100, and 500ml
>Pipet in 1 and 10ml
>Glass dropper short and long
>Buret in 50ml
>Test tubes in 5, 10, and 20ml
>Funnels, 1 wide and 1 narrow
>Stirring rod, 1 short and 1 long
>Long glass mercury thermometer
>Watchglass, 1 small and 1 big
>Alcohol lamp

That's all I could think of at the moment. Make sure the glasswares are made of borosilicate glass, doesn't matter which brand
>>
>>8951516
Thanks! I don't know about the quality of the products, they will likely be secondhand old soviet, but isn't borosilicate the standard?
>>
>>8951521
Also you will need additional stuff like buret clamp, aspirator, ring stand, bunsen burner, gas, gas hose, sieve, test tube racks, test tube holders, lighter/matches, hand centrifuge, wash bottles and waste containers, among many others.

Oh and appropriate personal protective equipment and proper cleaning materials and equipment for chemical accidents.
>>
>>8951521
>>8951543
A weighing scale too i forgot.

Make sure all measuiring equipment are calibrated.
>>
Depending what exactly you're doing, a büchner funnel can be an important item to have.

You probably don't need it yet, but you might down the road, and those things are expensive, so if you have the opportunity to buy glassware in bulk/for cheap you might want to throw that in to save yourself the hassle and price of getting one in the future.
>>
You dont need w-flasks of every size, just 250 mls

For that matter, a 250 ml or 125 sep funnel is indispensable, along with rubber tubing, condenser, roud bottom flasks, and heating mantle with sand. Bunsen burners are for making TLC spotters.

Alson a TLC chamber, stoppers, grease, adapters, drying tube, clamps. Etc
>>
>>8951799
I don't think he's going to want to do something like the extraction of essential oils of plants yet.
>>
I'm a chem/Phys major and this is one of the things that really gets me about chemistry, I find it super prohibitive to get all the shit you need to start a home lab.
>>
Make sure to get some donuts for the DEA lol.
>>
>>8951516
>boiling tubes
>seperatory funnel
>round bottomed flasks in different sizes, at least one of them three-necked
>dropping funnel
>liebig condenser
>condenser for refluxing (graham or dimroth)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.