[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to have a thread on human speech/language pathology and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1495419192686.png (64KB, 735x708px) Image search: [Google]
1495419192686.png
64KB, 735x708px
I want to have a thread on human speech/language pathology and didn't know where else to do it so /sci/ it is

I have been studying linguistics as of late and it's actually very interesting stuff. Does anyone else here give a shit or should I just fuck off back to ®eddit?
>>
>>8946005
Who is this and why is she on /sci/?
>>
/sci/ has some discussions on linguistics once in a while.
>>8937461
>>
>>8946232

She wrote a thesis recently and writing style was cringe
>>
File: ringo-chan.png (293KB, 390x480px) Image search: [Google]
ringo-chan.png
293KB, 390x480px
>>8946005
Why is language change so absurd sometimes?

For example, up until a few centuries ago, 'ye' was used for the singular and 'you' was used for the plural. Why did people just stop using such an important word?
>>
>>8947058
I got the example wrong, 'you' was for singular and 'ye' was for plural.
>>
>>8947058

>useful

How is that useful?

Besides English I know German and Polish. In both you have a separate "you" for singular and plural (Ty/Wy in Polish, Du/Ihr in German), and also special "official" forms (Pan/Pani/Państwo in Polish, Sie in German).

An then in the end you have to modify those forms by the gender of the following noun.

It's nonsense that doesn't give anything but another complication.
>>
>>8947136
That's not what I mean. In my everyday life I often speak to more than one person at a time, and I imagine people in the past did too. Therefore, I'm assuming people would have to say 'ye' often. If people needed to use it often, then why did they stop using it?
>>
>>8947136
Besides, nowadays, we say both of you, you guys, y'all; it's not any less complicated than saying ye.
>>
>>8947058
That's a pretty superficial change. The really substantial changes happen via the accumulation of minior regular sound changes.
>>
>>8947183
ye = you
thou was informal/singular iirc
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.