[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/, Philosophyfag here. What physics and mathematics do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: 1494661075420.jpg (40KB, 500x467px) Image search: [Google]
1494661075420.jpg
40KB, 500x467px
Hey /sci/, Philosophyfag here. What physics and mathematics do I have to know in order to understand quantum physics?
>>
Just check out Khan academy and you'll be fine.
>>
>>8943545
Linear algebra
>>
Differential Geometry and Topology
>>
Probability t.b.h
>>
>>8943545

Differential Equations, calc 1,2,3, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, and Probability
>>
>>8943570

I should also add that once you take these, you'll probably laugh at philosophy. You'll see there exists an a large set of objective truths regardless of frame of reference or interpretation, which isn't something that could be said of philosophy.
>>
>>8943570
Discrete math? Fugg, I thought I would never have to deal with that meme. I have intro to QM next semester, should I review some concepts?
>>
>>8943573
Nice philosophy you have there.
>>
>>8943545
PDEs and Functional Analysis cover most of it. Lots of Geometry too if you want to do anything involving gravity.
>>
>>8943573
what do you mean by this ? what subjective truths ?
>>
>>8943573
>>8943595
But seriously, mathematics is a wholly self contained system of symbolic games which happens to behave isomorphically with sense-data, and consequently allows you to make predictions. That's all that can be said about it. Mathematical concepts pop in your head like the rest of your thoughts and experiences as far as you can tell. You need phenomenological concepts like the synthetic a priori to even make the claim that mathematics point to an objective truth, unless you're going from some antiquated platonic worldview, which would make you no more sophisticated than a numerologist. Your assumption that math proves the existence of an ''objective'' reality is a set of philosophical axioms in itself. You need to suppose a certain set of axioms to carry any sort of rigorous thinking. Why do you think philosophy is synonymous with unprovable speculation and a relativist worldview? Silly that you would cast off like that a field that contains among other things the study of formal logic, and sets the groundworks for the development of the scientific method.
>>
>>8943574
Ples respon
>>
>>8943632
Stop being a brainlet
>>
>>8943648
I'm trying, but I thought I only need to know probability distributions and not meme combinatorics.b
>>
File: pepner.png (58KB, 636x674px) Image search: [Google]
pepner.png
58KB, 636x674px
>>8943573
>objective truths
>>
File: 27406617.jpg (53KB, 300x386px) Image search: [Google]
27406617.jpg
53KB, 300x386px
>>8943545
Fourier Analysis and Linear Algebra
>>
>>8943623
He's right, you know.
>>
>>8943574
You don't really need discrete for an intro class, but it helps.
>>
File: 1495079952281.jpg (276KB, 857x1506px) Image search: [Google]
1495079952281.jpg
276KB, 857x1506px
>>8943786
>Bohr disagrees with an anon
Yeah I'll take the appeal to authority on this one bossman
>>
>>8944110
Okay brainlet
>>
>>8943545

Here you go: http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.