[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a mechanical engineering student, 2nd year now, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: Figure_16_03_04.jpg (212KB, 1000x529px) Image search: [Google]
Figure_16_03_04.jpg
212KB, 1000x529px
I'm a mechanical engineering student, 2nd year now, and I still do not understand most things in thermodynamics. I barely passed last years course, luckily my average was still pretty good.

The only concepts I do understand is purely from rote memorisation. I studied thermo throughout the semester 4-5 hours a week (doesn't sound like much but I was also studying other subjects). And now I have an exam in about two weeks I'm starting to panic because I can't answer a single question in the past papers.

What am I missing here? Why can't I understand the concepts... h-help. It's completely destroyed my confidence
>>
>>8942604
Post some concepts that you don't understand.

Either you are a brainlet, or your professor is teaching this in a profoundly stupid way (or at least in a manner that is not compatible with your learning).
>>
>>8942608
Is it normal for lecture to be the size of small books for thermodynamics? 2 years in a row any they're massive.

Honestly I'm probably a brainlet for thermo.

I'm mostly confused by chemistry parts involving moles and shit. D-do you know about adiabatic flame temperatures? I can post a picture of a question I've been looking at.
>>
I had a retarded teacher for thermo who was really bad at teaching the concepts, but I stuck at it and I managed to get third in the class,

Like the other dude said, post some examples you don't get... also if you don't understand the spark ignition engine that's a lmao.

The chemistry seems hard but it's just a matter of practicing and taking time to understand the concepts. I spent a solid week before my exam studying almost every day for this course.
>>
File: Untitled.png (142KB, 1496x671px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
142KB, 1496x671px
>>8942689
kek, I understand how a reciprocating engine works. I'm not that bad. Here's a past paper question I have. (a) is easy I can do that.

But b I'm struggling, I see the maths but I don't understand why you would need enthalpy or the first law.

And c I don't even know where to start, it doesn't help that the questions aren't straight to the point either...
>>
>>8942699
Just draw up and consider the system as a whole, also refer back to the cycles as drawn ideally on a graph, understand them can really help.

Take note of what you know, how it can help, for example the expansion ratio is helpful for determining the volume at specific points in the cycle.

Once you consider all your knowns, note them in the cycle, and figure what you need to find, it becomes alot more clear
>>
>>8942715
Thanks, this process has given me more of a direction when answering questions. I've tried to read the notes to help me.

Is there any online sources that can help with thermo? I'll most likely check youtube. The way the teacher writes makes me fall asleep lol.
>>
File: 0131405705 (1).jpg (86KB, 469x648px) Image search: [Google]
0131405705 (1).jpg
86KB, 469x648px
>>8942699
are you using this textbook?
>>
>>8942805
The lecturer has made his own notes, is the book any good?
>>
>>8942811
the problem you posted >>8942699 here looks identical to the a few of the problems in that book. its not xbox hueg either, only like 300 pages.

i liked it. it breaks down combustion straight sesame street style. pretty sure it was written for all the meat headed gear monkeys that wanted to get an engineering degree.
>>
>>8942818
Man you've just given me hope, sadly it's been checked out in my library. I'll E-book it. Thanks again mate.
>>
>>8942805
>TFW EU laws
C-can some amerifriend do a quick google to find the second edition pdf of this pls?
>>
Thanks for reminding me to study for my thermo exam. I have no clue what that question is asking.

My advice for you is to do all past exam papers and be acquainted with the type of questions they ask
>>
>>8944540
https://2k9meduettaxila.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/engineering-fundamentals-of-the-internal-combustion-engine-2k9meduettaxila-wordpress-com.pdf
>>
File: 1495568445337.jpg (170KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
1495568445337.jpg
170KB, 540x489px
>>8942604
Carnot efficiency misses the point.

Also the second law of thermodynamics is a lie.
>>
>>8942699
We learned this shit in aerospace nig just treat as heat in for the standard rectangle on the graph
>>
>>8942604

how does that diagram make any sense? What makes the intake and exhaust valves selectively open?
>>
>>8946498
I'm pretty sure it's controlled by The Camshaft. Or something to do with suction. I think if you treat it as a vacuum, the difference in pressure will make the valves pull out. I forgot
>>8946453
>he doesn't think entropy constantly increases in a closed system
>>8946481
It's not that simple.
>>8946335
That's the one I have but I was hoping there would be the second edition. It's fine anyway. That one helped me a lot
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.