[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any biology majors here? is it true that'll i need to get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

any biology majors here?
is it true that'll i need to get a masters if i wanna get any chance of landing a job. more interested in microbiology if that helps.
>>
>>8935293
Only if you wanna get an actual research job where you're not just a lab monkey pipetting stuff but rather participate in original research under a lab head. This is how it is with all science degrees, the real jobs are available to the PhDs and postdocs that can later become research assistants.

Lab monkeying is about the most realistic job choice you have with only a bachelor in the life sciences if we're talking scientific jobs. But you should know by now that repeating the same braindead experimental protocols every day is extremely tedious. If you enjoy it though, go for it. Most people think PhD when they imagine research, however.
>>
>>8935293
>Microbiology
>>8935332
This hit the nail on the head.
Field bio has the best research options for bachelors, you'd still be an assistant. Unless you are skilled and good at networking, then you can bullshit your way to higher postions(which will probably be a postgrad research program)
Jobs are lame, don't buy into the corporate dogma. Aim to become a researcher or drop out because you will hate your life doing capitalized science.
>>
>>8935341
What's wrong with doing SCIENCE?
>>
>>8935332
tyvm
>>8935341
lol is micro a meme on here?
>>
Do what I did, microbio BS then a year of CLS graduate program. Guaranteed 60-80k starting in California
>>
>>8935341
>because you will hate your life doing capitalized science.
How come? I mean, research definitely sounds more appealing, but why would somebody who, say, prepares human cell cultures for drug tests, hate their lives?
>>
>>8935597
I'm currently in a CLS graduate program, but I have a BS in biology. I'll be done this December.
>>
>>8935293
>But you should know by now that repeating the same braindead experimental protocols every day is extremely tedious.

compare that to a regular retail job, doesn't sound so bad, does it

stop being so fucking entitled
>>
>>8935293
Bio major. From what I've learned is unless you get a PhD to become a teacher or researcher your degree will be useless and you will be teaching elementary school/ maybe highschool
>>
>>8935824
sweet, best of luck
>>
>>8935293
Microbiology postdoc here. You definitely need a Ph.D to do your own research, but with a BS or MS you can still earn a decent living in fields like forensics, food science, medicine, or biotech, for example.
>>
Anyone here studying to become a Marine Biologist?
How much math is involved? I do fine in chemistry but in math I'm a brainlet, I got a C in calculus my senior year.
>>
>>8937294
bio has no math. Just know how to add and subtract
>>
>>8937327
This is incorrect, it depends on the field.

>>8937294
Check the curriculum or ask people who studied it at your uni... bio programs really differ from school to school in my experience. Also literally git gud and apply yourself, it's calculus, you got no excuse.
>>
>>8937354
>Also literally git gud and apply yourself, it's calculus, you got no excuse.
Noted. Any books/pdfs you know of that could help me understand calculus better?
>>
>>8937360

>Calculus: A Modern Approach - Jeff Knisley & Kevin Shirley

Free pdf on his website. A calculus book for those who don't want stupid shit like Stewart or tryhard shit like Spivak. If you want an intuitive understanding of how calculus calculations work with a mildly rigorous (but still way better than Stewart) understanding of key theorems, then this is your book.
>>
>>8935293
CLS program. If you play it right, you can even get a hospital to pay for post-bac schooling/training in exchange for promising to work there for a year or two.
Its not research, but it is a steady job market with reasonably good pay.
Also depending on your specialty and lab location (hospital vs dedicated lab vs reference lab) you can see some really interesting/horrendous microbio things
>>
>>8935293
Just take your own look at job openings. All dull jobs require 3+ years of experience.
Senior positions require MS or many years.
Interesting jobs require MS or PhD.

Question:
MS in health informatics with all electives taken in CS/statistics.

Trash or not?
>>
this is why i changed majors to cs xd
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.