[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>define a set [math]^*\mathbb{R} = \mathbb{R} \cup \{\epsilon,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1456978072039.png (259KB, 450x482px) Image search: [Google]
1456978072039.png
259KB, 450x482px
>define a set [math]^*\mathbb{R} = \mathbb{R} \cup \{\epsilon, -\epsilon\}[/math] that extends all the first-order operators and axioms (i.e. all axioms except the completeness axiom) as if [math]\epsilon, -\epsilon[/math] were real variables
>define an unsurprising axiom [math]-(\epsilon) = -\epsilon[/math]
>define a function [math]\mathbb{st}(^*x) = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0^+} \lim_{-\epsilon \to 0^-} {}^*x \in \mathbb{R}[/math]
Is this not an easy construction of the theory of the hyperreals? I'm thinking I must be missing something, since it wasn't particularly hard to come up with. This is essentially a formal summary of my rudimentary understanding of hyperreal numbers so bear with me if I've overlooked things. I can perform differentiation and take limits in general successfully and I find it much more intuitive with a better notation.
>>
>>8934272
Hint: 1+e is not in *R
>>
>>8934274
Read the first meme arrow more carefully.
>>
Why don't you even just read the Wikipedia page you mongoloid? No you are fucking wrong because the whole point of the exercise was to avoid using limits.
>>
>>8934280
This has nothing to do with [math](\epsilon, \delta)[/math] limits.
>>
>>8934282
Then what are those limits in your definition of the standard part?
>>
>>8934287
They're part of the definition of the standard part function, which is part of the theory of the hyperreal numbers. This is a construction of the hyperreal numbers that is a simple extension to the real numbers and is similar to the construction of the complex numbers in wide use today.
>>
>>8934294
Your official certificate of mental retardation should arrive in the mail in 4-6 weeks. Thanks for playing.
>>
>>8934297
Why am I retarded, then?
>>
NOTE: I normally think in terms of type theory. I am not nearly as familiar with set theory and may say strange things. I would have a much easier time writing this in pseudo-Agda.
>>
>>8934274
>>8934278
Oh, never mind, I should have. Yeah, I fucked up big time here. This was a sativa induced thought and indica affected post.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.