[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm writing a sci-fi story and I had a question. There's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: brain20.jpg (66KB, 540x429px) Image search: [Google]
brain20.jpg
66KB, 540x429px
I'm writing a sci-fi story and I had a question.

There's a part where there's a chip installed into someone's brain. They send signals to it to control them.

Would it make sense if they could also control what they say, or is that hard to believe even if you suspend your disbelief? Would they be able to say "help I'm being controlled", or would they say whatever the person controlling them wants them to? Or, would only be able to control their mouth physically and keep it shut, so they were only able to mumble and make noises?
>>
It would be possible to control what they say. On the other hand, if the guys who installed the chip aren't brainlets, they'd probably pre-program the chip to prevent the controlled one from saying something like "I'm being controlled"
>>
>>8927322
Thanks. One more question. Would they be consciously aware that they're being controlled, or would the chip take over them completely and they'd be like a robot or something?
>>
>>8927339
They would probably take intrusive thoughts as their own.
>>
>>8927339
The way The Turing Test, a game (inb4 >>/v/) did it was an implant in the right arm that modified dopamine levels (coupled with implanting thoughts?) to control the person. They were unaware of the device until put into a faraday cage where they experienced free will.
>>
>>8928212
>>>/v/
>>
>>8928212
High dopamine levels would cause them to suffer schizophrenic symptoms, which is retarded if you want to control them.
>>
>>8927314
>Would they be able to say "help I'm being controlled", or would they say whatever the person controlling them wants them to? Or, would only be able to control their mouth physically and keep it shut, so they were only able to mumble and make noises?
It could function in any of those ways, depending on how the system is designed.
>>
>>8927314
>>8927339
this is very difficult to say since although we can observe the correlates of activities in the moments pre-speech and action, as well as having decently chronicled maps of aspects of language in the brain such as across the cortices, as part of circuits, context-gated by the hippocampus etc it's not always clear how they relate both to the initiation and maintenance of actions and conscious, phenomenological experience.
Of course, if you have a story where you are controlling every aspect of a brain with a chip I'm sure you can hand waive pretty much any ambiguity you want away.
>>
>>8927339
Since this is sci-fi I guess you could come up with somewhat coherent models for both, as well as intermediate states, such as psychotic-like phenomena where the person experiences intrusive thoughts without being able to make a clear distinction between their own cognitive processes and external influences.
>>
File: You done goofed.jpg (45KB, 353x438px) Image search: [Google]
You done goofed.jpg
45KB, 353x438px
>>8927314
Create a chip that can control and manipulate brain signals on a whim and you control the essence of a person their self rendering them nothing more than a puppet.
>>
File: brain21.jpg (59KB, 800x660px) Image search: [Google]
brain21.jpg
59KB, 800x660px
>>8929196
Could these brain signals be sent/manipulated wirelessly? Like through a supercomputer or something?
>>
>>8931038
*They would still have the chip. But could the signals be sent to the chip that way?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.