[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How bullshit is the whole "limited willpower" thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1489626353261.jpg (132KB, 1000x699px) Image search: [Google]
1489626353261.jpg
132KB, 1000x699px
How bullshit is the whole "limited willpower" thing that psychologists tell us about?

I'm asking in the context of sticking to a schedule. Every time I come up with a schedule, it drops off after maybe a few weeks maximum. I want to know if there is a scientific explanation for this that is beyond my control or if I'm just a lazy asshole.
>>
bamp
>>
>>8925874
Rip, You're just lazy.
I read in our schools psychology textbook that the theory of limited willpower was only proven in one experiment and since then has never been replicated. Willpower has been shown to dramatically change by doing arbitrary things like eating a tasty cookie. You pretty much have infinite willpower dude.
>>
>>8925634
>>8925923
This OP, just stop being a lazy fucker and do what you need to do. It becomes more evident as you get older and grow out of it.

t.former lazy fucker
>>
>>8925923
Do you know what textbook that was, by any chance?
>>
File: 1466643354398.jpg (447KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
1466643354398.jpg
447KB, 950x950px
>>8925634
the fact that nobody can replicate the results of the limited willpower study pretty much proves psychology is a crock of shit
>>
>>8926037
Psychology in everyday life 3rd edition, by David G. Meyers and C. Nathan DeWall.
Not a very intelligent book but it's got the basics
>>
>>8926057
Thanks bro
>>
File: 1484964505035.jpg (55KB, 900x810px) Image search: [Google]
1484964505035.jpg
55KB, 900x810px
>>8925634
Well with that sort of attitude it's no wonder you're not getting results.
>>
>>8926045
>the fact that nobody can replicate the results of the em memedrive study pretty much proves physics is a crock of shit
>>
>>8927199
That's true though
>>
File: Ainsely Harriot.png (311KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
Ainsely Harriot.png
311KB, 420x420px
>>8925634
It takes longer than a few weeks for something to become a habit m8. Once it's a habit, it doesn't even require will power, it's just instinct.
>>
>>8925634

Your brain will try to shut down parts that are stuck in a fruitless loop, this is why revision is hard, your brain assumes you're stuck on something so it shuts you down to try to get you to do something else. The trick to getting round this is to literally do something else, take regular (every 45 minutes or so) breaks of 10-20 minutes a time, you will find you can study all day using this method without the usual frustration that comes from trying to fight how your brain works by "powering thru" or invoking "muh willpower".
>>
Everyone has essentially infinite willpower (that is, if they so desire they can dedicate themselves to something up until it kills them)

However you are not in control of what it can be used for. If you're a fattie then you have a lot of willpower to eat. If you have your shot together then you have a lot of willpower to maintain yourself and strive to be better. To be able to have broad willpower you need to know yourself and structure your goals in realistic ways. You build up your willpower in different things and eventually you have your general life so set, that your willpower begins to be free, and you can choose to do whatever you want, and you'll just do it.
>>
>>8925923
Indeed, just trivial tasks with your non-dominant hand is positively correlated with willpower.

The meme is a joke and I think rather harmful to teach people.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.