[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>rectangles that are super duper thin This was in a Math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 339
Thread images: 29

File: 1495315704463.png (146KB, 1390x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1495315704463.png
146KB, 1390x1000px
>rectangles that are super duper thin
This was in a Math Ph.D.'s thesis
>>
File: 1495315361411.png (198KB, 1288x758px) Image search: [Google]
1495315361411.png
198KB, 1288x758px
>no idea
>o

>i
>d
>e
>a
>>
mods are fucking dicks man
>>
I know I saw this in the five other threads about the same thing
>>
want to know why these faggots weren't posting this shit last year when it was actually news in math circles?

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/05/18/university-of-hawaii-professor-universities-should-stop-hiring-white-cis-men/

because it's oppressed young white breitbots from t_d LARPing as mathematicians. they don't actually follow math, or read papers, let alone understand them. until breitbart focused them on the target, they had no idea it existed.

it's not that bad of a paper you faggots, it passed a defense at princeton of all places. yes it's written in a conversational style

she explains things in greater detail than necessary and targeted towards the "layperson" because the paper is doubling as a critique of papers that no one can understand, i.e. IUTT (google it piggots). IUTT is fucking useless, because according to Nature there are only 10 elite number theorists working on it and they claim they'll maybe understand 25% of it in 3 years, while the autist who wrote the paper basically refuses to explain it to anyone
>>
>>8924408
lmao @princeton
>>
Post one problem with the maths in that image or the paper OP. The style of writing doesn't count btw
>>8924408
this, except the last sentence.
>>
>>8924408
what a great idea. Everyone should get their phd from Princeton by "writing their thesis for the layperson", i.e. taking 139 pages to explain what should take 12 pages. Don't worry, this won't open the floodgates of complete brainlets getting phds in math without doing real research.

I'm sure a lot of laypeople read her thesis and now understand math, too.
>>
>>8924408
IUTeich is certainly far more important and monumental than this. It's telling that those elite number theorists are putting much effort to understand it. See Fesenko and Dimitrov's writings on it.
>>
reminder that american education is so shitty that all you need to get into a top-5 math department and have a fields medalist as your supervisor is black or brown skin color
>>
>>8924408
yes if the IUTT was written for common people im sure than then it would be widely understood
>>
>>8924423
t. grade-inflated harvard grad

>>8924426
>implying i said any of that
take your "cause" back to t_d and the breitbart comments section please

>>8924432
oh don't get me wrong i wasn't implying they were on the same level of importance. just that the critique is certainly valid

>>8924438
>implying that common people are the only ones who don't understand it
breitbot detected. go find another cause to fight for piggot
>>
>>8924450
>she explains things in greater detail than necessary and targeted towards the "layperson" because the paper is doubling as a critique of papers that no one can understand

that's what you actually said, as if it was a good thing.

Maybe the reason she can't understand a lot of papers is because she has no particular talent in math. That would also explain her motivation for turning a 12 page paper into a 139 page thesis by writing it for brainlets.

Writing a real thesis is hard, so instead she decided to make her thesis a "critique of math" or whatever retarded justification she's using to not write a real thesis. Because she fucking sucks at math.
>>
>>8924450
>piggot
oh it's just this autist again. nothing to see here folks
>>
File: SocialJusticeMathPHD4.png (39KB, 653x287px) Image search: [Google]
SocialJusticeMathPHD4.png
39KB, 653x287px
>>8924384
>I
>G
>U
>E
>S
>S
>>
>>8924457
>a breitbart article coincides with an influx of shitposts on the same topic
>he can't see the connection
You are one stupid fucking pigger, you know that?

>>8924456
OK tell all those guys who can't grok IUTT they have no talent.
>>
>>8924465

She can't even grok the basics of what is expected of mathematicians, let alone cutting edge mathematical research.
>>
>>8924465
There's a difference between IUTT and Piper's thesis. The mathematical content of Piper's thesis, while probably impossible for laypeople to really understand, was very possible for experts in her field to understand.

When Piper whines about difficulty, she's whining about the normal everyday difficulty that average mathematicians face. She's not complaining about some cutting edge shit that only one or two people in the world understand.

Her thesis was cut down to 12 pages and published in a decent journal. Obviously the referees understood it just fine, and didn't need the bloated 139 page version.
>>
>>8924462
>"Piggot" is a portmanteau of "pig" and "faggot". It means "pig-faggot"
>explaining your insults
>>
>>8924489
Part of the piggot meme is explaining what it means every time.
>>
>>8924408
Thank you.
>>
>>8924470
>She can't even grok the basics of what is expected of mathematicians
You think this is the case because she keeps writing things like "I totally didn't understand any of that" and you're not neurotypical enough to recognize obvious irony.
>>
>implying it's the biggest problem
This whole image is a pain to read.
>>
>>8924615
Not the guy you replied to, but there's plenty reason to doubt her math ability. Take for example the fact that she has published 1 paper ever, and that was the 12 page paper that came out of her 139 page thesis.

Or you could read her blog posts about how she doesn't talk to other mathematicians about math because white males always make her doubt her knowledge and talent.

The fact is, she's no good at math. And she blames white males.
>>
>>8924636
>She has published 1 paper
>She doesn't talk to other mathematicians about math
>The fact is, she's no good at math.
this simpleminded conception of what it means to "be good at math" is simply ridiculous and could only be held by an obvious larper
>>
>>8924657
you are a disgusting and retarded piggot

if she was good at math she would be doing math instead of whining and bitching and trying to come up with excuses not to do math.
>>
File: 2017-05-21_02h11_09.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-21_02h11_09.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>8924376

Who wants to watch her presentation and give opinions on that?

http://www.fields.utoronto.ca/video-archive/static/2016/11/1570-16202/mergedvideo.ogv
>>
>>8924691
>larpers trying so hard to fit in but still using phrases like "good at math" and "doing math"
>>
>>8924615

I'd rather not have the quality of mathematical research debased by mediocre postmodernists, thank you very much. It's bad enough that she spends enormous effort simply regurgitating freshmen-level mathematics with absolutely zero novel contributions to our old conceptions of them. Even worse, the more advanced mathematics the woman encounters, the less able she's able to give even a passing "conversational" recap of its importance. Spivak is conversational. This woman is just retarded.
>>
>>8924733
no self-respecting mathematician would defend her or her actions. of course if you are a brainlet that studies in an state uni you would feel obliged to take her side given that both of you are idiots that believe they know math
>>
>>8924747
moreover, no self-respecting academic person would tolerate both the quality and the language used in her PhD thesis. the fact that her supervisor thought this is OK speaks volume about PC culture in US academic institutions
>>
>be black female "mathematician"
>be really annoying, publish 1 paper ever
>it's a 12 page paper but I bloat it with an additional 127 pages of annoying ramblings unrelated to the topic
>try to talk to other mathematicians
>clearly don't understand what they're saying
>they try to explain it to me
>tell them they're oppressing me by making it seem like they need to explain it to me
>never talk to mathematicians again
>>
>>8924376
>this was in a nigger's thesis
ftfy; makes it easier to comprehend
>>
File: 2017-05-21_02h29_08.png (25KB, 828x472px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-21_02h29_08.png
25KB, 828x472px
>>8924706

I've just finished watching the whole thing. It feels like she's just copying what's on her notes without actually understanding any of it.

I know if you're not very experienced at giving presentations it can be difficult to think on the spot but the entire thing felt very meh. She clearly states she doesn't actually want to be there or do math.

She responds to any questions at the end with giggles and "I don't know"
>>
PhD is nothing by itself. Everyone can get PhD
>>
>>8924772
nope that's completely wrong. only those who are capable should have the chance to do a PhD, even more so at prestigious institutions such as Princeton.
>>
>>8924706
>http://www.fields.utoronto.ca/video-archive/static/2016/11/1570-16202/mergedvideo.ogv

ugh the first thing out of her mouth is excuses about how jetlagged she was

then goes on for 4 minutes about how nice her adviser is, and how her thesis was intended as meaning that she was quitting math forever
>>
>>8924408
She only got the ability to write such a shitty thesis because shes black and shes a woman. Everyone else wouldnt be allowed to pull this shit because they are held to a higher standard. But whatever, just treat black people who can add 2 and 2 as geniuses, its not condescending at all
>>
>>8924376
I usually prefer it when scientific papers express simple ideas in simple words.

>>8924464
This is completely unacceptable though.
>>
>>8924706
I'm not a number theorist, but she seems at least mathematically literate. She bullshits a lot and goes really slow, but she managed to fill up an hour.

I've known cases where an advisor writes a paper and lists their student as a coauthor, and the student doesn't even understand the paper and couldn't give a talk about it.

At least she went to the trouble of learning what her thesis was about. She's still basically a fraud though.
>>
>>8924773
but, shes black?
>>
>>8924408
Yeah unfortunately YOU'RE A MATH PHD NOT A FUCKING HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER YOU BRAINLET SCUM

Western academia is a joke
>>
>>8924706
woooow the last few minutes when people ask questions.

She's completely unable to hold a conversation with them at all. She can't even address any of their questions.

It's actually amazing that people keep asking questions after her failure to address any previous ones. It seems like they're just fucking with her because they know she's a fraud.
>>
>>8924806
>Western academia is a joke

It's getting that way for sure. Professors are getting to to be more similar to entertainers than to researchers in a lot of ways.
>>
>>8924706
What's wrong with american math lectures? They just doodle on the blackboard without any properly stated definitions or theorems - did they never learned from Bourbaki overseas?
I also see this shit uploaded on youtube a lot - or maybe that's why they upload it in the first place, because it has absolutely no value.
>>
File: macperformance.jpg (102KB, 967x1080px) Image search: [Google]
macperformance.jpg
102KB, 967x1080px
>>8924759
>sketch the proof

This is worth 300k a year?
>>
>>8924854
most talks I see are with slides. I think her decision to use the board was a ploy to eat up time by writing slowly
>>
sloppy
>>
So, someone with a humanities degree in French can waltz right into Ivy League graduate math with no background, just like that? And "study" under a fucking Fields medalist?

Imagine all the poor cucks who won olympiads, awards, did every EC, and still lost a place to someone like this. The myth that academic STEM was somehow different from the humanities with SJW bullshit is fucking dead.

A Princeton math PhD is a fucking cracker jack prize now.
>>
>>8924868
this, how tf did she get in with an undergrad in romance languages?
>>
File: 1320572476866.jpg (14KB, 231x231px) Image search: [Google]
1320572476866.jpg
14KB, 231x231px
>>8924859
Slides in a math lecture??
>>
>>8924873
for a conference / seminar talk, yes. Unless you write lightening fast, you'll never get as much info on the board as you can put on the slides.
>>
The fucking Brits and other Euros must be reveling in this. It would be a cold day in Hell when someone with a French degree and piss poor math skills could waltz into Cambridge or Oxford on the basis of feelz.
>>
>>8924883
It's probably the same in the UK.

The whole SJW mentality was created by the anglo culture
>>
A Princeton PhD can be had for high school tier math, cut and paste writing, and crappy overall presentation, with a single publication.

This whole situation is just delicious in it's curvature of what was once reality. Seriously, I'd buy that bitch a full spread at Popeye's Chicken for the entertainment that this STEM Gotterdammerung is about to provide.
>>
>>8924462
Hang yourself.
>>
File: phdmaths^^.png (79KB, 652x406px) Image search: [Google]
phdmaths^^.png
79KB, 652x406px
Math PhD
>>
File: phdmaths^^2.png (227KB, 737x1055px) Image search: [Google]
phdmaths^^2.png
227KB, 737x1055px
>>
File: phdmaths^^3.png (70KB, 734x361px) Image search: [Google]
phdmaths^^3.png
70KB, 734x361px
>>
File: phdmaths^^4.png (96KB, 755x545px) Image search: [Google]
phdmaths^^4.png
96KB, 755x545px
>>
wtf I thought math was hard, how do people like this get so far?
>>
>>8924984
>thought math was hard
"was" is the keyword. Now everyone with enough SJW street cred gets a Princeton math PhD...even those with no real background in math.
>>
>>8925006
no I mean like the writing, don't they have to write a little more formally?
>>
>>8925008
Yeah, her writing is childish, abominable and totally informal for serious academic output. You would think someone with a humanities degree in French would be a better writer-that's what those degrees teach-but she couldn't even learn that much.

Math? Hahahahaha...
>>
File: didyoumeanpherron.png (53KB, 842x511px) Image search: [Google]
didyoumeanpherron.png
53KB, 842x511px
I didn't know you could become a math faculty with one publication with 4 citations
>>
>>8925008
Eh, there is nothing really wrong with her writing. It's just cringe, desu. I write like this when I make notes to myself in my research journal. I can't really speak for her mathematical content so I won't comment on that, too lazy to read that shit and IDGAF, really.
>>
>>8924964
I don't think they even read here thesis. I think that kind of thing is common now.

This is retarded and sad...

Truly the end times.
>>
>>8925022
Don't forget that her husband cited her papers, so how many does that leave? Talk about nepotism and hand holding - this case sets the standard for WTF in STEM academics.
>>
>>8924868
>And "study" under a fucking Fields medalist?
Is the fields medal also cucked by SJWs now?
>>
>>8925024
>I write like this
>too lazy to read
>IDGAF
0/3 gtfo
>>
>>8924376
Its like high school math for retards...

there must be some context, that's so convoluted that only super geniuses can understand
>>
>>8924376
i should have majored in math

would have been so easy to get a phd
>>
>>8924954
so what is the original theorem and proof of this thesis
>>
>>8924376
I'm trying to find some way to defend her so can I be the edgy contrarian I am, but this piece of fucking garbage of vomit trash should've never been accepted as a PhD thesis. Is this some sick joke? What a fucking disgrace from Princeton. This is an insult to Princeton, Universities, graduate students, undergraduate students, mathematics, and academia.
>>
>>8925085
Why would someone be terse in there research journal, I don't say shit like funky sum or throw in random comics but I'm more talkative in it so I can follow my train of thought later on.

Find me someone who is willing to sift through her PHD thesis who isn't autistic or has nothing better to do.
>>
>>8925136
How would you like to be her student, or even worse, her grad student? She gets the government funding and decides how it gets spent. She can make or break your career. She decides your fate.
>>
>>8925115
>would have been so easy to get a phd
Are you white?

Unless you are a minority and VERY oppressed you have to work hard for a phd in maths.
>>
>>8925174
You think Asians and Arabs have an easier time getting into PHD programs? It's imo harder for an Asian person to get into a good applied math program compared to a white guy.
>>
>>8925159
Even better. How would like to be her white male graduate student.

I bet she has a bone to pick with the people who have been oppressing her.
>>
>>8925186
>You think Asians and Arabs have an easier time getting into PHD programs?
Asians no Arabs yes.

Asians are also not """oppressed""", because they are constantly performing very well and are able to get into good jobs.
>>
>>8925191
Maybe, in Europe, but that's not the case in America. Most Muslims in America come from prof backgrounds. Also, what would an Arab put for his race? Same thing for Indians and Persians.
>>
>>8925189
I'm sure it's no problem since oppression is really only in peoples' minds. Just work hard and she can't deny you... right? Isn't that what you tell the blacks in your country?
>>
File: goodbrain.png (449KB, 859x389px) Image search: [Google]
goodbrain.png
449KB, 859x389px
>>8924376
can somebody explain to a brainlet who failed pre-calc what this means?
>>
>>8925383
No. This is written by someone who has about as much knowledge about calculus as you do.
There is no actual "meaning" of information in there.
>>
>>8925383
It's literally high school math about integration.
>>
>>8924868
>So, someone with a humanities degree in French can waltz right into Ivy League graduate math with no background, just like that? And "study" under a fucking Fields medalist?
only if you're a black women, black women are the most oppressed group in America (outside of Muslims) at the moment so they get a big bonus in admissions to colleges
>>
>>8925218
this

For instance, I'm pretty sure Iranians are over-represented in academia in America, since everyone with a brain gets the fuck out of Iran. All the Iranians I have met seemed like nice people, I don't get how they have such a shit government.
>>
You fucks derailed a thread about a legit black mathematician with this hack.

Please keep telling me you are not racists, now...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Blackwell
>>
>>8924706

All you people are shitting on her but as a bit of perspective, my undergrad was 100% white (northern Europe) and they all had trouble with number theory/group theory classes. I'm sure this black lady has more understanding than most of my white male classmates when it comes to these topics.

So even if she's not quite Ph.D in Math tier, (I wouldn't know because I'm not there yet) she's more capable than the average math undergrad for sure.

All those racist hacks shitting on her are probably dumber than her, themselves.
>>
>>8925670
Mods kept deleting threads about piper
>>
>>8925687
I'm a fucking cis white male assistant professor in math. in my opinion (after reading some of her thesis and seeing her talk at the fields institute) she's probably better than an average undergrad at an average American school. I don't think she's even as good as an average Princeton undergrad though.

It's really annoying and sad, but I would be less pissed off if only she was gracious about having been handed a phd and a job. But she's not. She bitches and whines about how she should have even more. It's disgusting that she has the platform she has
>>
>>8925687
> racist hacks shitting on her are probably dumber than her, themselves.
criticizing the fact that a french major got into Princeton and became a math professor with only 1 paper and 4 citations is racist. kys
>>
>>8924773
Yeah but that is not the case, clearly. Every fucking retard can have PhD
>>
>>8925734
then show some some retards that got a PhD from a top-5 school and are not sassy token minority women
>>
>>8924773
I've seen plenty of idiots get phds in math, but this happens at average American unis, not Princeton
>>
>>8925687
>my undergrad
There is the difference. She is not an undergrad.

If you have a PHD you have to met certain requirements, not only requirements of knowledge (which is not easily tested through a written document) but also of character and professionalism which she clearly is not meeting.

Her writing is childish and inappropriate for the topic and from the text pieces posted I think it is safe to say that not much meaningful (or even new) is covered in her thesis.

Defending someone on the basis that
>I'm sure this black lady has more understanding than most of my white male classmates when it comes to these topics
is completely ridiculous. She is supposed to know SIGNIFICANTLY more then them.
>>
>>8925741
I believe her thesis contained some original research. She actually published a 12 page paper with the same title, in a good journal. Presumably the 12 page paper was what they got when they removed all the retarded shit out of her thesis.

So in my opinion her thesis did have some content, it was just bloated with so much bullshit.
>>
>>8924706
Isn't that the woman that wrote a post in the AMS blog saying that, if you are a cis white male you should resign from your position in the math department?
http://blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion/2017/05/11/get-out-the-way/
>>
>>8925752
Yes that's her
>>
>>8925750
>when they removed all the retarded shit out of her thesis.
Isn't that bad enough? Is it okay for a PHD student from one of the most prestigious universities in the world to write like a 15 year old who listened to a couple of pop-sci videos?

Even when the rest of her thesis is decent, it is no justification for this >>8924954 monstrosity. As I said getting a PHD (especially from a very prestigious university) should require a minimum amount of professionalism and intellectual honesty which she clearly doesn't posses.
>>
>>8925760
I agree with you, the thesis is ridiculous and she's basically a fraud. She turned 12 pages into 139 pages by filling it with bullshit
>>
>>8925760
>Even when the rest of her thesis is decent, it is no justification for this >>8924954 monstrosity.
I have a PhD in physics and, when I started writing my thesis, my advisor told me: "One thing is explaining the things for people not familiar with the field and a different thing is writing for retards, don't do the second".
>>
>>8924615
I don't think you know what irony means. Piper, please get off 4Chan.
>>
>>8924657
Piper, I asked you nicely to leave pls
>>
>>8924615
If you can't write a professional thesis you don't deserve a PHD.

She clearly has very little Idea what she is talking about-
>>
>>8925687
She is absolutely more capable than the average math undergrad, and coming from french romance or whatever, that is impressive. But she did not do enough to earn a PhD in Math. I
>>
>>8924928
>piggot detected
by the way, that means your a pig fag
>>
>>8925736
I'm sure there are more like her hun. Why would this be an isolated incident? "FIRST INADEQUATE MINORITY EARNS PHD FROM PRINCETON". Come now. We just haven't heard of the others.
>>
>>8925793
>She is absolutely more capable than the average math undergrad
"we take x to infinity and in the limit (by which I really mean for sufficiently large x)"

She would fail 1. semester calculus.
>>
lmao
>>
File: wisesnek.jpg (190KB, 621x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wisesnek.jpg
190KB, 621x1000px
>>8924376
wait I never knew the constant term is Cx in integrals
>>
>>8925807
No, she's not quite that big of a fraud. The quote you just posted was her trying to bloat her thesis by "writing it for the layperson", not her genuinely not understanding calculus.

From watching her talk at the Fields institute, I am convinced she can at least give prepared lectures about things she has studied.

It's still shocking that she got to where she is and she's as bad as she is, but I don't think she would literally fail calc 1.
>>
>>8925816
She wasn't a math undergrad so I guess we will never know
>>
>>8925820
lol, touche. However we can be sure she took calc 1 at some point. Maybe while she was in her masters program that it took her 6 years to complete.
>>
>super duper

As long as your max squat is under 100lbs this is acceptable language.
>>
>>8924964
Integral is high school level, right? Why is it explained in a PHD thesis?
>>
>>8925736
Well, why should we exclude sassy token minority women? This case just proved my point that I have known since I have attended university.
>>
>>8925670
of course blackwell is a genius. what are you getting at
>>
>>8926152
They shouldn't be excluded, it's just that they should be competent
>>
>>8924376
What's wrong with that? Infinitesimals are a bad approach to math.
>>
>>8926171
>They shouldn't be excluded, it's just that they should be competent
This
>>
>>8925159

She's essentially an adjunct at Hawaii. She's not getting much research funding. Her position likely does not allow her to advise grad students.

She got a PhD from Princeton under a Fields Medal winner and ended up non-tenure track at Hawaii. It looks like the job market figured this out.

I hope Princeton gets the point. They can't be happy with the placement.
>>
>>8925752
>http://blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion/2017/05/11/get-out-the-way/

I assume her cis white male husband plans to resign from Hawaii? He's in her department, so she can start there.
>>
>>8924408
y... you can't say that, bretibart is based redpill facts for alpha males. Take what you said back or I'll be forced to call you a cuck !
>>
>>8926224
That's true but honestly she doesn't even deserve the job she has. The job market is really competitive and I'm sure there's more qualified people. I think they hired her as a favor to her white fucking cis male husband
>>
>>8926249

I agree. I hope Princeton gets the message that enough of these will hurt their doctoral program on the market.
>>
>>8926247
I you continue you will summon Based Stick Man's True Form.
>>
>>8925641
t. rothschild pawn
>>
>>8924408
I can never ever tell if Breitbart is telling the truth in their articles. They're just infowars-tier shitposters.
>>
>>8924408
>want to know why these faggots weren't posting this shit last year when it was actually news in math circles?

It may have something to do with the fact that her blog post was created less than a week ago, not last year. People do tend to talk about things that just happened recently
>>
>>8924376
lmao was he high when he wrote this
>>
>>8925383
>failed pre-calc
wut
>>
>>8926152
>Well, why should we exclude sassy token minority women?
Why should they be included? Science is MERIT based not on skin color and gender. No one should be excluded or included because of some outside characteristic.

It is a ridiculous Idea that a certain group of people needs to be included, because as this whole shitshow demonstrates including someone because of their race and gender leads to a loss for science.
>>
>>8924376
I put these kind of things in my homework assignments all the time.
>>
>>8926417
>homework assignments
But that is not your PHD thesis and doesn't enable to you to give a talk at a famous institute.
>>
>>8925687
>So even if she's not quite Ph.D in Math tier

She has a PhD in Math so I'd expect her to be PhD in Math tier
>>
>>8925816
>From watching her talk at the Fields institute, I am convinced she can at least give prepared lectures about things she has studied.

From that talk I'm convinced the only thing she has studied is how to give that talk.
>>
>>8924408

I don't read breitbart. The reason I am infuriated is because a thesis is not supposed to be

>written in a conversational style

Did you go to college? Have you written an academic paper? Have you ever considered why academic writing exists?

1 - A thesis is supposed to be concise. That means that instead of fluffing a 12 page paper to 100+, you fill your 100+ pages with useful, important information.

2- A thesis is written for other professors. They know high school calculus. They should have rejected the paper outright for that alone. If I covered elementary topics in my thesis over maybe - MAYBE 1 sentence, my thesis would have been rejected.

3- 'Conversational style' changes. Academic writing styles minimize the use of slang and non-canonical sentence constructions so that people can read and understand your thesis hundreds of years into the future (because a thesis is supposed to be a contribution to human knowledge the people will have an interest in for a long time)

How the fuck is someone in 100 years going to interpret "super duper small"? How the fuck can you interpret it now?

>she explains things in greater detail than necessary and targeted towards the "layperson" because the paper is doubling as a critique of papers that no one can understand

THAT IS NOT WHAT A FUCKING THESIS IS FOR YOU STUPID FAGGOT. A THESIS IS ORIGINAL RESEARCH IN A FIELD THAT SOLVES A PROBLEM OR ANSWERS A QUESTION SUCH THAT THE FIELD AS A WHOLE IS IMPROVED.

It is not a 'critique of papers'.
>>
>>8926490
>It is not a 'critique of papers'.
It is now. Enjoy your college debt to pay for her platform to hate you. :)
>>
File: 2017-05-21_21h02_34.png (47KB, 848x367px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-21_21h02_34.png
47KB, 848x367px
>>8925670
Just because he has "Black" in his name doesn't make him a black mathematician.

>>8925135
>so what is the original theorem and proof of this thesis

A quick read of the abstract will make this clear to you
>>
>>8926498

>Enjoy your college debt to pay for her platform to hate you

you have clearly never been into graduate school. They pay you and you teach classes / research. It's not like undergrad.

Still, this Thesis is quite troubling.
>>
File: math-woman-3.jpg (38KB, 714x477px) Image search: [Google]
math-woman-3.jpg
38KB, 714x477px
>>8926587
>skips over paying for undergrad
hurrr you clearly never went to university durr
>>
>>8926635
I didn't pay for undergrad, I went to a state uni that funded me because I decided to stay in state instead of going to another state.
>>
>someone else paid therefore it's free
can't wait for your thesis to surpass this black woman's
>>
>>8926490
>I don't read breitbart.
How coincidental that your righteous indignation explodes today of all days, when this bitch and her thesis have been around for years. Fuck off.

First, let's get this out of the way: The real paper is not a "cleaned up" version of the thesis as so many fucknuts ITT have stated. The real paper was first submitted in Sep 2013, and slightly revised by Dec 2015.
https://arxiv.org/abs/1309.2025v2
Harron's "artist's rendition" was developed from that paper and submitted in Jan 2016.

>It is not a 'critique of papers'.
Normally, it shouldn't be, but in this case, it was. Read between the lines. This is really a Fields' medalist's critique of mathematical society.

Not only did Bhargava elect to mentor her, he clearly encouraged her to show childish aspects of her personality; it makes sense when you learn about some of his beliefs about math pedagogy:
http://archive.is/waTXW

You got a problem with it? Go get a Fields medal, then come back and school Bhargava on how math should be studied.
>>
>>8926670
So we got the chronology wrong? A nice, brief paper was written first, which she then shitted up and watered down until it seemed long enough.

I stand corrected
>>
>>8926670
If you believe this is all her advisors doing, check out Bhargava's other students:
https://www.genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/id.php?id=49593

Here's one who graduated in 2015: http://www.math.columbia.edu/~ila/

Oh wow, she's a woman of color, just like Piper! Except she's not a fraud. She has 4 papers published and several more preprints submitted.

Oh and here's her thesis: http://dataspace.princeton.edu/jspui/bitstream/88435/dsp01g158bk68k/1/Varma_princeton_0181D_11540.pdf

Notice anything? That's right! It's not full of retarded slang and bullshit for dumb people!

Go ahead, check out the rest of Bhargava's students, and see how many of them wrote fake theses like Piper did. I'll wait.
>>
>>8924408
A PhD thesis should not be targeted towards a layperson, it should be targeted towards other experts. And yes, communication is important, but anyone not doing a graduate degree in Math or something related should not understand it. If they do then your subject matter is too easy.
>>
>>8926686
>So we got the chronology wrong?
It should have been obvious just by looking at the dates of the thesis and the date the short paper was published, but you don't know anything about journals, the review process, etc. And we certainly wouldn't want to spend any time looking up the author or advisor. Time is money, after all. Lends credence to the original claim that you're just redditors who came to play identity politics after your masters sounded the oppression alarm.
>>
>>8926708
You're missing the point that the chronology hardly matters. Her thesis is a pointlessly bloated 139 page version of a 12 page paper, and that makes her a fraud.
>>
Gotta love the mental gymnastics necessary to "white knight" an indefensible nadir in academic integrity. Sorry, but using techniques taken from the humanities to "deconstruct" this bullshit into being some kind of 4D chess of insider commentary is the very thing we are trying to keep out of math. Anybody who thinks that way, and considers themselves any sort of intellectual, should shoot themselves to atone.

The only consolation in this sordid affair is the fact that this miserable, hateful, entitled and ignorant abortion of a PhD will have no impact other than being a pathetic footnote to modern day Lysenkoism in academia. Pity any students who might wind up with her as an adjunct in calc 2. For fucks sake, her own husband had to cite that trash just to up it's citation "hit count".
>>
>>8926670

>How coincidental that your righteous indignation explodes today of all days, when this bitch and her thesis have been around for years

How does the timing of knowledge affect whether it is true or not? The thesis was shit the day it was written, its shit now. Calculus is just as true today as when it was discovered. I fail to see how the timing of realizing something affects how true of false it is. This thesis is trash. If a white male had written it, my opinion would be the same. Funny how her advisors didn't see it that way, though. Do you believe that I am the only person behind this? I am not even the person to make this thread, and these threads on 4chan didn't even start today. You are just flat out wrong on all accounts. You seem to have some other motivation, though I am currently unaware of what that is.

>Normally, it shouldn't be, but in this case, it was. Read between the lines. This is really a Fields' medalist's critique of mathematical society.

OK, so your explanation is that the Fields medalist was only pretending to be retarded? If this IS the case, and I don't think it is, that is still grounds for a thesis rejection.

You seem to be unaware of the purpose and function of a thesis. It is not to 'critique papers that no one can understand'. I will tell you again: A thesis is original research in a field that solves a problem or answers a question such that the field as a whole is improved. This thesis doesn't pass that threshold. It ought to have been rejected. The question becomes: "why wasn't it rejected?'

>Not only did Bhargava elect to mentor her, he clearly encouraged her to show childish aspects of her personality; it makes sense when you learn about some of his beliefs about math pedagogy:

I would like proof of your 'she was only pretending to be retarded' theory. That article does show that.

>You got a problem with it? Go get a Fields medal, then come back and school Bhargava

no one is talking about Bhargava.
>>
>>8926724
>Lysenkoism
>Paper in no way denies current science or math
Nice buzzword
>>
>>8926739
You fucking idiot - the very fact that a mathematical imbecile was admitted to Princeton and handed a PhD for garbage denies the very basis of how things work in the real world. Regurgitating baby-tier math and making stupid asides about it does not indicate high level math understanding in the brain, and that's a physical state of affairs as real as the fucking rock we're sitting on.
>>
>>8926703
OK, the others didn't. This one did. What exactly are you trying to show?

>>8926712
>Fraud
Evidence? Remember, she wrote the real paper too.

>>8926733
>How does the timing affect whether it is true or not?
It doesn't. It just shows that you're here to play identity politics despite being wholly unqualified to make judgments about the topic.
>A thesis is original research
This thesis contained original research. It was just written in a way you didn't like, and you think that somehow cancels out the research it contained.
>she was only pretending to be retarded
I didn't say that. I think this paper demonstrates just how she acts, writes, and thinks. And yet in spite of her non-mathematical background, she was able to produce original ideas in mathematics. Which was Bhargava's point.
>no one is talking about Bhargava
You should be. He was her advisor.
>>
>>8926757
>OK, the others didn't. This one did. What exactly are you trying to show?
that there's no reason to believe that this behavior is typical for him. He allowed this student to get away with it because she was the only untalented one.

All of Bhargava's other students have published several and are constantly submitting more. Meanwhile Piper has never published anything but this one paper, and doesn't like to talk to mathematicians about math because it makes her feel inferior.
>>
>>8926767
>doesn't like to talk to mathematicians about math because it makes her feel inferior.
Exactly. She has not demonstrated the ability to reply to anybody who should be her "peer" at all. Just look at her response to a blog comment that got math specific - she deflected into pure SJW "butthurt crusading oppressed subaltern French major" tier rhetoric without any math content.
>>
>>8926757
>This thesis contained original research.

No, 10 of the 11 theorems in her thesis are copied from the 2013 paper, which has been written by the Field medalist. Her name is on it, but she clearly didn't write anything in it, as she states in her thesis she doesn't understand the math she is writing.
>>
>>8926790
It's typically considered OK if your thesis contains work that was published elsewhere.

But I agree that she most likely didn't contribute to the paper. Bhargava's other students (and most real mathematicians) wrote several papers with their advisor and several with other people, so it's unlikely that other people are always doing all the work for them.
>>
>>8924376

I'm very surprised the link to the actual thesis was never posted in this thread. Welp, here it is.

http://www.theliberatedmathematician.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/PiperThesisPostPrint.pdf

>>8924706

And the video

>http://www.fields.utoronto.ca/video-archive/static/2016/11/1570-16202/mergedvideo.ogv
>>
>>8926757

>It doesn't. It just shows that you're here to play identity politics despite being wholly unqualified to make judgments about the topic.

This argument is false, demonstrably false. You just agreed that the timing of discovering information is irrelevant. Therefore it does not and can no 'show' anything. The Thesis must stand or fall on its merits and it does not deserve to stand. I think YOU are insecure about this topic for some reason. The identity of this woman is very important in so far as she identifies as a mathematician when she clearly should not be. Other than that part of her identity I could care less about her. Lastly, how would you know whether I, or anyone else here, is qualified or not to critique this abortion of a paper?

>This thesis contained original research. It was just written in a way you didn't like, and you think that somehow cancels out the research it contained.

funny, all the pertinent parts of her paper seem to have been rehashed from the 12 page published journal article. I defy you to show me otherwise. I've read the thesis.

> It was just written in a way you didn't like, and you think that somehow cancels out the research it contained.

I explained why the standards are in place. It does not meet the standards. if you don't like the standards maybe you should change them. This paper is not written in an academic way. Academic writing is necessary to be an academic. The Thesis did not pass the benchmark of a proper Thesis from the mid grade university I attend. I have seen people thrown out of the program for trying to present far more coherent ideas. Either Princeton is less rigorous than my mid level university, or this Thesis was let through for some other reason. Again, if you want to have an argument that the current standards or incorrect, that is a different discussion.

>You should be. He was her advisor.
You still have shown no evidence to corroborate your 'She was only pretending to be retarded' theory.
>>
I'm not sure if to do a PhD

What if I cant do it and what if there's nothing for me afterwards

Does anyone have any advice, its in engineering
>>
>>8924492
shit meme desu
>>
>>8926799
>Bhargava's other students (and most real mathematicians) wrote several papers with their advisor and several with other people
and their degrees are worth just as little as hers, now

being nice to minorities was a mistake
>>
>>8926776
>Just look at her response to a blog comment that got math specific

I've seen reference to this comment but I haven't been able to find it
>>
>>8926810
The ones I checked out seem to be doing OK, but they all graduated before Piper did, so this probably wouldn't have affected them. It will be interesting to see if his future students suffer as a result of this. They might.
>>
>>8926804
Present yourself as a mulatto black (better, hispanic - more believable) transwoman to Princeton grad school, have a PhD given to you after you kill years there doing nothing and having a blast, and profit?
>>
>>8926813
Here you go: https://mathbabe.org/2015/12/11/piper-harron-discusses-her-artistic-and-wonderful-math-ph-d-thesis/

Specifically, scroll down to "Joshua" and her telling response.
>>
>>8926804
>>8926822
Memes aside do phds have high dropout rates? Also where do you go when you finish, there cant be a specific employment based on your thesis area
>>
File: sheeit.jpg (42KB, 600x447px) Image search: [Google]
sheeit.jpg
42KB, 600x447px
I wish I could draw because I have an idea

Frame 1: Pajeet Bhargava welcoming Piper to Princeton

Frame 2: Pajeet trying to teach her math but she's just eating fried chicken and not paying attention

Frame 3: Piper handing Pajeet her thesis. The front cover says "Fukkin raciss Krakka ass maff too hard, gibmedat diploma bix nood mofuggin"

Frame 4: Piper wearing her cap and gown, holding a diploma. Sheeeeeit
>>
>>8926767
So he did something he doesn't typically do. And? He doesn't typically mentor students that come from a humanities background, either.
>>8926790
Her name is on the 2013 paper.

Let me ask both of you: why would this guy, a recipient of the most prestigious award in mathematics, paper after paper, who certainly has students competing to work under him, randomly choose this woman, fraudulently put her name on one of his papers, and then gift her a PhD? Why? Was it subliminal cultural marxist SJW programming orchestrated by jews?
>>
>>8926827
That post.
>In my second year, my body temporarily lost the ability to properly deal with sugar.
Ohhh, so that's what happened.

I'm pre-diabetic. Can I get a PhD now?
>>
>>8926841
Simple : P. Harron's hubby is a real mathematician, made his thesis under Andrew Wiles (best mathematician alive), so did the Field medalist. Her husband and her adviser know each other well, and the hubby asked a favor : associate her name with one of your paper, and receive her thesis.
>>
>>8926841
And the person I was originally replying to (maybe you or maybe not) was claiming that Piper's thesis was really her advisor critiquing math and not Piper doing it. But there's no evidence he has the same beliefs as her about math and how it's done.
>>
>>8924706
this is so painful to watch
>>
>>8926827

Thanks, what a shitshow.

He admits he isn't completely knowledgeable about the subject so it's fair that his questions may be a little hairbrained. But her response is annoying in a couple of ways

>Thinking out loud is apparently a bad thing (AT A WOMAN no less)

And her continued disinterest in the subject matter. Like shit, if I've spent 6 years of my life becoming an expert in my field I get pretty stoked when people ask me questions about it. It's one thing to be bored of repeating yourself but another to feel threatened and respond visciously.
>>
>>8926841
You say this like it's a conspiracy theory, but working with underrepresented minorities has a very real effect on your ability to get grants and convince administrators of the value of your work.

When you apply for a grant or a promotion, you should absolutely list every imaginable way you have worked with underrepresented groups. And some people actually base decisions on this, like they'll choose to invite one speaker instead of another one, just so they can say they had a female/black/underrepresented speaker.
>>
>>8926855
>Like shit, if I've spent 6 years of my life becoming an expert in my field I get pretty stoked when people ask me questions about it.
But the thing is she isn't an expert and it's obvious.
>>
>>8926841
Reading two pages of her thesis is enough to realize she wouldn't be able to solve a simple differential equation or anything higher than high school math.
>>
>>8926670
You mean when her blog, only a week old, has been making its rounds where she claims all sorts of dumb shit like that all white males should quit their jobs are voluntarily take demotions?
>>
>>8926861

IIRC she taught Calc 2
>>
>>8926841
>randomly choose this woman, fraudulently put her name on one of his papers, and then gift her a PhD?

Because Princeton has very few black Phds and she had been working for 10+ years.

If you think there aren't politics in doctorate programs, then you are in for a rude awakening when you get that far bud.
>>
>>8926847
This kind of shit happens fairly often, the naivety on this board about the "purity" of stem is mind-boggling. There is a looot of politics and networking involved in every step of your career, which includes...surprise surprise...the letters to your name.
>>
>>8926867
And what a shitshow it must have been for the poor souls that got her for an adjunct, what with all the shit getting "super duper thin" and all. Her husband is a real POS for turning that kind of crap loose at his school.
>>
>>8926867
Well, Calc 2 is nothing but very basic and simple math. In countries other than Burgerland, most of it is done in high school.
>>
>Oh, am I here because of Affirmative Action? Oh, am I here because I’m a woman? Oh, am I here because of a mistake? Okay, haha, I get it. Oh, do my friends think I took the spot of someone who deserved it more? That’s okay. It’s okay if my friends think that. Then there was the actual math. Funny story, I was exceptionally behind my peers when I got to Princeton. I’m tired of talking about it. I should have made myself a Tshirt that said “I only took 7 math classes before coming here, and my peers took 20 – 30, so that’s great.” Funny story, my brain is evidently unusual among mathematicians. Namely, I don’t understand anything they say.

ha ha! Oh, Piper.
>>
>>8926876
I think a lot of people know this, which is why "expert" opinions are not worth shit, except to people who expect to benefit from such a political system. This is why righties fled academia for business.
>>
>>8926883
Her husband is on ratemyprofessor, but she isn't. I'd really love to hear from someone who had her as an instructor
>>
>>8926803
>You just agreed that the timing of discovering information is irrelevant. Therefore it does not and can no 'show' anything.
False. I said it's irrelevant to the quality of the thesis. It's not irrelevant to the possibility that you're larping as a mathematician when you only discovered just yesterday from right-wing media that this woman even existed.
>all the pertinent parts of her paper seem to have been rehashed from the 12 page published journal article.
Which, if you weren't larping, you'd know is irrelevant, since she was an author.
>I explained why the standards are in place. It does not meet the standards.
Is there some international set of standards she violated?
>your 'She was only pretending to be retarded' theory
I already told you this wasn't what I was saying. It does you no credit to continue to harp on a straw man. The thesis shows her true nature -- there's no acting. Her advisor, instead of forcing her to filter it, let it through despite it being less than professional, because the math was sound, thus staying true to his stated ideals. As a Fields medalist, he understands math is about more than mastering a terse, elegant writing style.
>>
>>8926841

>Was it subliminal cultural marxist SJW programming orchestrated by jews?

you seem to have created a false dichotomy wherein either things are OK or cultural marxist SJW programming orchestrated by jews have created the problem.

I am here to tell you that it is possible that this woman is a fraud who did not deserve her PhD, but this was not caused by "subliminal cultural marxist SJW programming orchestrated by jews".

There are not just the 2 choices. Stop acting like those are the only 2 possibilities.
>>
>>8926511
The first and last sentence was pure normie cringe
>>
>>8926867

>Today, class, I will be explaining what to do when things get super duper thin.
>>
>>8926937
>black woman
>not talking super duper THICC.
>>
>>8924957
>explaining what groups are
>explaining what matrices are
Is this actually from her Ph.D. thesis? I'm in awe.
>>
>>8924964
>An integral is whatever you want it to be
WHAT THE FUCK
>>
Why the fuck do you guys care so much?

You do realize almost all of your thesis papers are worthless. I know you like to circle jerk about how amazing your degrees are, but 99% of thesis papers are worthless and will never add anything to academia or the world. Nobody will ever read them beyond required parties and they will not contribute anything.

I read papers all the time because I have to stay on the cutting edge for work, and the amount I read and useful information I get versus the sheer volume of them is amazing. If one paper is a bloated piece of shit WHO CARES. By volume papers in general are bloated pieces of shit full of useless nothing.
>>
>>8924408
God bless you, anon. I've been trying to explain this here for days. /sci/ seems to prefer to obscure ideas rather than share them, presumably because math is nothing more to them than a show of superiority.
>>
>>8926926
Kill yourself. Seriously. Your mental gymnastics don't deserve the dignity of a reply, as that kind of bullshit is the cancer destroying our civilization.
>>
>>8926976
>destroying our civilization

Pol shows itself.
>>
>>8926964
I for one hate her because she's telling white men to quit our jobs because we're "privileged", and yet she was gifted with a phd and a job in academia and it's pretty obvious that she's incompetent and has been allowed her small amount of success only because she's black and a woman.

She is the one who is privileged, and she should quit her job because she's actually bad at it.

I probably would have forgotten about her by now, but so many cucked piggots keep arguing with us and calling us racist or sexist.
>>
>>8926937
That's how an intro calc class should be fucking taught. These are simple ideas -- why bury them in needless formalism that isn't needed at that level?
>>
>>8926964
This woman was literally given a PhD from Princeton, a school that was supposedly elite and means something. The level of her work would get her laughed out of the lowest tier schools there are, let alone the Ivy League.

Her paper is not even up to the standard of being judged mathematically worthless, as it was never even in the race in the first place. Her miserable "chip on the shoulder" ungrateful attitude toward the culture that gave her an elite degree for nothing is icing on the cake.
>>
>>8926926

>the possibility that you're larping as a mathematician
I never said I was a mathematician. The fact that I am a PhD student in a field which is not rigorous in mathematics as even more damning to her paper. Her explanation of calculus, for example, by itself is grounds for her to re-write the thing as it is obvious fluff - there is no new or useful information considering her board are all mathematicians. Re-hashing highschool math does not show enough academic rigor to be in a PhD dissertation about math. The fact that people with only a remedial education can see through her bullshit is ever more damning.

>Which, if you weren't larping, you'd know is irrelevant, since she was an author.
original research is necessary in a thesis. If her research was published, it is no longer original for the thesis. Her thesis can incorporate that research, of course, but she had added nothing, 0, beyond it. Her thesis is high-school math explained terribly, college math explained terribly which she admits she does not understand, and some of the paper she was a co-author on. No original research. That by itself is enough to reject it.

>Is there some international set of standards she violated?
Here is the page for the graduate mathematics department at Princeton. Her thesis does not follow the guidelines set here.
https://www.math.princeton.edu/graduate

>let it through despite it being less than professional, because the math was sound
no original research. My math is sound if I copy a bunch of mathematicians while admitting I don't know what I'm doing. Do I get a PhD for it?

>As a Fields medalist, he understands math is about more than mastering a terse, elegant writing style.
I would like proof of this continued assertion. The article you posted does not show that.
>>
>>8926990
This work absolutely would not be laughed at. You're discrediting actual mathematics because of an attempt to actually explain something in a meaningful and intuitive way (God forbid), which is in all actuality the way most mathematicians talk about math amongst themselves. You can't separate math from presentation, and are happy to sit and poke fun because a black woman used simple words instead of the fancy ones you learned in class, which must clearly make her an idiot.
>>
>>8926980
Fuck you. You don't need to be /pol/ to realize that when we have no standards, when losers are made winners, when everything is deconstructed subjective newspeak, that something is very wrong.
>>
>>8926998
You don't know how theses work. Everyone takes published work and interweaves some narrative. It was her work, hence original; that's what you're expected to submit for a thesis.
>>
this is the thread that reminds me why being an engineer is so great. i never have to deal with any of this SJW """"""critical theory"""""" bullshit.
>>
>>8927003
>We have no standards

By every metric I look at civilization today we have insanely high standards.

People are educated, smart, tons of contributions are being made, the amount of people with an IQ over 130 alive today is more than the human population 500 years ago, these people still do tons and contribute tons and society is doing a lot.

How exactly is our civilization crumbling in any way shape or form?
>>
how the fuck did she pass the quals
>>
>>8926983

I agree that intro math classes shouldn't be buried in formalism. That is why to teach an intro to calc class you only need to get a B.A. and teach highschool. That is not what a dissertation is for. Her ability to teach teenagers does not qualify her for a PhD.
>>
>>8927014
Does princeton have quals? I think I've heard they have oral quals. In which case nepotism can get you through since it's subjective.

If nepotism isn't in your favor this could be super stressful of course.
>>
>>8927002
"Not even wrong" - Reflect upon that phrase, think about what it means in this context, and when you have repented your wrong-headed ignorance return and beg forgiveness.
>>
>>8927015
Read the posts before you reply.
>>
>>8927002
not the guy you're replying to.

I acknowledge that her thesis had real math content. About 12 pages worth. Before she filled it with bullshit to make it longer, it was a nice 12 page paper that got published in a good journal. It was also the only paper she has ever coauthored in her life.

I don't think it's too conspiratorial to suggest her advisor probably did all the work and put her name on the original 12 page paper. This happens a lot in academia. Given the fact that she has never published anything else, I don't see one 12 page paper as strong evidence she's ever done original research. And even if she had, a nice 12 page paper isn't enough for anyone to get a phd.
>>
>>8927010
Math has already fallen. How long do you think engineering will be safe for if SJWs have infiltrated the very bedrock of the sciences in math?
>>
>>8927014
Maybe she's not the retard you think she is? Believe it or not, one can explain things at an intuitive level and still understand first year graduate algebra.
>>
>>8927007

>Everyone takes published work and interweaves some narrative
of course, I'm working on mine right now (3rd year in)

> It was her work, hence original
not once she has published it in a different journal. Her thesis must show original work for the thesis. A thesis is not you summarizing different articles. You must produce original research - work - that you did that was specific for the thesis. You incorporate a bunch of other work, that is fine, but you need your own work specific for that thesis.

This is so basic. Are you educated at all? Have you ever written an academic paper that was not a summary?
>>
>>8927019
Read the posts before you reply.
>>
>>8927028
You really don't understand what original means. The point is that the student him or herself does work that has not already been worked out by somebody else. She did that. Why would you purposefully not publish work, good work that got accepted in a good journal just because you need a thesis?
>>
>>8927013
Yes, but imagine if a white guy tried to present this as his thesis? DESU, things like this only ends up being more "racist" towards black people, I'm pretty sure there was a black person more deserving of a PHD at Princeton than her.
>>
>>8927032
It was a response to someone suggesting she's too stupid to teach high school calculus. Hence why I'm talking about high school calculus you bumbling retard.
>>
>>8927034
>I'm pretty sure there was a black person more deserving of a PHD at Princeton than her.
but it wouldn't be a black woman, almost surely. being a black woman is worth a huge amount of oppression points even compared to being a black man.
>>
>>8927034
>I'm pretty sure there was a black person more deserving of a PHD at Princeton than her.
EXACTLY. You know there's a black person somewhere out there math competent, fuck with at least a math undergrad degree, more deserving. Nepotism got her in to this position, with her husband's connections and all.
>>
>>8927013
>How exactly is our civilization crumbling in any way shape or form?
not a history major I see
>>
>>8926980
Excuse me, I don't speak retard. What is this "Pol" you love to talk about? It surely can't be a board on this website.
>>
>>8927037

and I think she is smart enough to teach high school calculus because its easy. That is why I made the post. If you dislike the format of this image board, I can suggest several alternatives.
>>
>>8927034
this makes me want to punch a black person
>>
>>8927024
engineering is driven by industry not academia so i'm not too concerned.
>>
>>8924376
Disgusting affirmative action and sexism (not reverse sexism, just plain old sexism in favor of women)

If a man did this he'd be laughed out of the place. This woman should be ashamed of herself.
>>
>>8924423
lmao @ the entire Ivy League

www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/harvard-student-rap-album-final-year-thesis-passes-second-highest-grade-ivy-league-obasi-shaw-a7747371.html

>An Ivy League student will be graduating with one of the highest accolades after submitting a 10-track rap album for his final thesis, the first to do so in the history of the university. Obasi Shaw wrote the album, titled Liminal Minds in a year. It was awarded the second highest grade in the department - summa cum laude minus.
>>
>>8927061
the only thing holding him back from summa cum laude was racism
>>
What do you even have to do to be denied a PhD title?
>>
>>8927061
I don't see how submitting art piece to get an arts degree is a bad thing. Your criticism is as retarded as laughing at engineers for designing and building something as their thesis.
>>
>>8927065
If he was white, they'd have made him president of the college on the spot.
>>
>>8927033

Either you are uneducated, or you are educated in a different system. I can only speak to the system in the USA. A thesis is not simply other articles interwoven together and summarized. Even if those other articles are written by you. A thesis must present research for that thesis. Research that is particular to that thesis. If she wants to write a non-academic book about 'super duper small triangles' and how she doesn't understand math that is a different story. If she wants to write a textbook that just weaves together other ideas that is fine. That is not a thesis.
>>
>>8927055
nice
>>
>>8927075
>A thesis is not simply other articles interwoven together and summarized.
It mostly is on undergrad level.
>>
>>8927075
I'm an American math PhD student. That is exactly how it works -- you do research and then put it in your thesis. Since you want a job afterwards, you publish that research as well. I also find it funny that I've have discussions about this exact thesis with my colleagues, actual mathematicians, and none of them take issue with it.
>>
>>8927002
The sheboon clearly didn't understand one inch the math she is exposing.
>>
>>8927069
Be an asian or white male.
>>
>>8927073
He's submitting a piece of music which no doubt lacks the depth of a comparable literary dissertation and getting top honors for it.

It would be more like an engineer "engineering" and submitting a piece of modern art the design of which is a commentary of the sociopolitical position of blacks in America. I get that the Ivies are just glorified state school, but damn.
>>
>>8927082
>The sheboon
>>
File: 1495324475190.jpg (907KB, 2598x1228px) Image search: [Google]
1495324475190.jpg
907KB, 2598x1228px
>>
>>8927034
But I'm a black person, and I'm saying who cares. Most of these papers are worthless. I know am I better at math than her and don't even have a degree. I already do work and read papers. Legitimate societal disadvantage kept me out of school and instead of blamey whitey I was just grateful computers existed, downloaded all the math textbooks I needed and go to learning.

Having skipped academia though I can say it's a circle jerk. That's my entire point. Black "oppressed" women like her are usually well to do blacks who are mad that they don't perform as well as they want and just blame oppression. Blacks like me just laugh at "blacks" like this, and we literally call them white liberals.

It's a waste of brain power to worry about this shit and of course academics are going to circle jerk about it thinking they are so superior for doing so. They are the modern day art clique. If you are smart, you do your research in the field and just look at papers you need to and write them under your research department.
>>
>>8927013
You're right, civilization isn't crumbling as a whole. But the West is. The Chinese must be laughing at us, trying to hide the fact Blacks have smaller brains and can't understand math by giving math PhD to Black women with an understanding of math that doesn't go past high school...
>>
>>8927045
You clearly haven't looked at much history if you think society is doing anything but prospering right now almost world wide.
>>
>>8927085
So he does an arts degree, submits art, and you automatically say it lacks depth of comparable literary dissertation under what grounds?

Rap is a legitimate genre of music, so please inform us why this album is poor. You are just mad that this nigga dropped fire.
>>
>>8927092
China is tied too closely with the West to be laughing over Western social decline.

In the modern globalized world, no one is safe.
>>
>>8927093
>there's food and cellphones so nothing could possibly be going wrong
what was I thinking
>>
>>8927092
Whatever you say pol.
>>
>>8927098
I have an idea of what grounds.
>>
>>8927092
> /pol/
There are black people who deserve a PHD in Mathematics and who are fairly talented. Obviously, this is not the case.
>>
>>8927103
Food is one of the largest metrics for success in a society.
>>
>>8927103
What is going on exactly beyond an imaginary crusade against white men?
>>
>>8927085
>no doubt
This is your presupposition.
>lacks the depth of a comparable literary dissertation
A piece of analysis of other works has nothing to do with genuinely creating art. Most MFAs require you to submit an actual piece of art you created to get a degree, not just regurgitate some reinterpreted historiography. I have no idea whether this particular work is good or not, but the core of your argument is idiotic.
>more like an engineer "engineering" and submitting a piece of modern art
What is this autism? Engineering student can freely submit engineering project as thesis, art students can freely submit art projects.

Just post some poltardian infographic instead of trying into logic already.
>>
>>8927107
Well, that's theoretically possible, but statistically very improbable. The brain size difference is too large
>>
>>8927090
>>8927092
these two posts one after the other

it's sick
>>
We tried to tell you idiots that desegregating the schools was a mistake in the 50s. Now look what happened
>>
>>8926926
>It's not irrelevant to the possibility that you're larping as a mathematician when you only discovered just yesterday from right-wing media that this woman even existed.
Mathematician here. What makes you think mathematicians in general knew about this woman before two days ago? Why would we?
>>
File: seems-legit-meme-mercedes.jpg (31KB, 500x452px) Image search: [Google]
seems-legit-meme-mercedes.jpg
31KB, 500x452px
>>8927092
> trying to hide the fact Blacks have smaller brains
Muh brain.
>>
File: PMC2668913_gnes119-692-f5.png (41KB, 419x287px) Image search: [Google]
PMC2668913_gnes119-692-f5.png
41KB, 419x287px
>>8927120
this data rushton took from studies, so the only likely bias is in favor of your pov btw - rushton is the secondary source, primary source is US perinatal study
small differences between races

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_size
a caucasian male brain varies between 1050 to 1500 with a mean of 1260 - most of the variation is within groups

>Studies demonstrate a correlation between brain size and intelligence, with larger brains predicting higher intelligence. It is however not clear if the correlation is causal.[29] The majority of MRI studies report moderate correlations around 0.3 to 0.4 between brain volume and intelligence.[30][31] The most consistent associations are observed within the frontal, temporal, and parietal lobes, the hippocampus, and the cerebellum, but only account for a relatively small amount of variance in IQ, which suggests that while brain size may be related to human intelligence, other factors also play a role.[31][32] In addition, brain volumes do not correlate strongly with other and more specific cognitive measures.[2]

let's say the relationship is casual - between size and intelligence(if we don't then argument ends here lol)
a correlation of 0.35 means that about 12% of the variance in intelligence is explainable by brain size
if you look at the studies, they include mostly Caucasians - ranging from 1050 to 1500(a variance much higher than that between races)

actually assuming non-caucasian races vary as much and in a similar manner around their own means (a reasonable assumption, for example in a normal distribution) you'd see that mean difference in brain size between groups is insignificant and unable to cause large iq gaps

if the iq gaps are genetic, the effect isn't through brain size.

you asked for it
>>
>>8927120
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Blackwell
is smarter than you, /pol/ak.
>>
>>8927098
Because no album has ever been produced that would, if presented in the form of a literary dissertation with no conceptual expansion, be as probing or comprehensive as should be expected of even an average graduate's dissertation at "the best institution in the world."

Music simply doesn't have the same aim and literary scholarship, and he isn't in for a music degree, or a general arts degree, but a degree in english/literature.

Also, stop assuming. I generally like rap music.
>>
>>8927133
>statistically very improbable
What does it prove ?
Blackwell is clearly not a full Black and one exception every decade doesn't infirm any general statement
>>
>>8927135
Except this is unequivocally false. It's like dismissing the work of all American poets because no poem ever been produced that would, if presented in the form of a literary dissertation with no conceptual expansion, be as probing or comprehensive as should be expected of even an average graduate's dissertation at "the best institution in the world."

And the fact that you assert this claim with absolutely no argument to drive it shows you don't care for the academic rigor involved and just want to shit out your opinion quickly while trying to sound smart by saying shit like "if presented in the form of literary dissertation with no conceptual expansion."
>>
>>8927138
I like how when someone succeeds /pol/aks will pull back and start saying "he isn't full black". Obviously Piper Harron isn't full black. There is also a guy named Jellani something at MIT who produces interesting TCS papers, he is black. (inb4 he isn't full black). Clearly, there are exceptions to your world view, and in the world of mathematics only the exceptions should be given any credence. I would take Rao BlackWell over someone like Varg.
>>
>>8927142
It is common language. Also, you haven't presented any meaningful argument yourself. If my assertion is so false, provide even one example of such an album. I would quite genuinely be glad to hear it.

Maybe I overestimate what is actually required of a written honor's thesis at Harvard, but I am not underestimating the potential complexity of any album. It is either bad as scholarship, or bad as music.
>>
>>8927150
No black is full black in the US.

It's a totally moot point.

There's studies done on whether 'Europeanness' increases IQ for blacks - it doesn't.

Go to "Studies Measuring European Ancestry Through Blood Group Indicators" for a list of those.

http://www.peterdanpsychology.ro/ro/pagina/25/files/docs/more%20on%20black%20iq.pdf
>>
>>8927073
>art piece to get an arts degree

Knowingly dishonest response.
>>
>>8927159
How the hell is that dishonest?
>>
>>8927150
Well, I would do so.
We weren't talking about the possibility of a Black person contributing to pure science, but about the reasons why this woman was awarded a PhD. The reasons are : Blacks are less intelligent and there aren't enough good black candidates to be legitimately awarded with math PhD, and society persists to enforce equal representation of all races into academia, even if intelligent is unequally distributed among races.
>>
File: literally first google result.png (194KB, 888x893px) Image search: [Google]
literally first google result.png
194KB, 888x893px
>>8927207
nice baseless assumption

the the amount of blacks (and other races) with degrees mirrors the percentage makeup of America, so try again brainlet
>>
>>8927214
that's the number of phds in all subjects, not just science, right?
>>
>>8927214
Have you ever heard of affirmative action that grants people degrees not according to their results and real capacities ?
In my country, there are many Blacks and no affirmative action -> Blacks almost systematically fail 1rst BA year, and I never saw any of them in math master classes
>>
>>8927214
The existance of affirmative action makes said statistics less descriptive than they might otherwise be.
>>
>>8926968
You can join him in the corner with the other mongoloids.
>>
>>8927214

>the amount of blacks (and other races) with degrees mirrors the percentage makeup of America, so try again brainlet

Are you serious?

African Americans are 13.2% of U.S. population (according to Google).

12,084 / 175,038 = 6.9%
>>
>>8925224
You're posting in bad faith, fuck off piggot.
>>
>>8925670
Blackwell didn't do black very well tho, he is mixed and is a very smart guy.

Everyone knows about Blackwell, and currently is less entertaining then this outright fraud of a black woman.
>>
>>8925670
Blackwell is obviously a fake black person. I mean come on, "Blackwell"? Might as well call himself Dr. Blackie McBlackington
>>
>>8925750
>I believe her thesis contained some original research.

Yeah, her husband's original research. Get a fucking clue.
>>
>>8927256
Do you ever get tired of being needlessly jaded to the point of turning everything into elaborate conspiracies?
>>
>>8927258
>elaborate
>>
>>8927259
What's more likely: a PhD student wrote a paper based on her research, or the entire Princeton math department is conspiring to give minorities PhDs for some reason that nobody seems to be able to articulate?
>>
>>8927117
>Engineering student can freely submit engineering project as thesis

An engineering project includes a full write up in the form of a thesis that covers the engineering that underpinned the final project. You can't just build some undocumented thing and you can't be so disgustingly informal with your final report.
>>
>>8927264
>being this simple
>>
>>8927266
Yeah, I figured.
>>
>>8927264
If only she put as much effort into her "thesis" as you are defending her, then we wouldn't have to have this thread every day.
>>
>>8927264
>the entire Princeton math department is conspiring

It doesn't take an entire department. All it takes is for her husband to coach her enough to be able to talk about this specific work in a presentation. The math itself was done by the husband and the supervisor.

Her original work extends to the fluffy she language used trying to give her interpretation of integrals and matrices. She even says she worked closely with her husband to try and get the words out.

The language throughout the thesis changes dramatically when it comes to the serious math, so much so that it appears to be a completely different author. You can spot her interjections from a mile away.
>>
>>8927256
Look dude I'm basically on your side, I think she's a fraud. But let's not go too far here. She knows more math than a high schooler, and if you don't realize that then you probably have no background in math.

Some people in these threads are saying some ignorant things, and even though I agree that she's a fraud, it still makes me cringe. Like the people saying that you can't publish your research and then use it in your thesis. In my experience, math phd theses are just 3-4 papers thrown together, and you also try to publish all of the material you put in your thesis in journals.

Anyway, to the point: I don't see why you'd claim her husband wrote her thesis, when there's a more obvious explanation (i.e. her advisor wrote it). It's commonplace to put people's names on papers when they contributed hardly anything. It's not common for one person (like her husband) to do all the work and then not even list himself as a coauthor. That wouldn't make any sense.

Also, and it's sad that I have to pre-empt this line of reasoning that I foresee coming from you retards, just so you know, a phd thesis can contain work that you did with someone else. Basically everybody puts in work that they did with their advisor and often other people.

But don't be too hard on yourself. Again, I basically agree with you that she's a fraud. Most likely she didn't contribute to any of the research that went into her thesis.
>>
>>8927287
True.
Those are two thesis mixed up : one made by a sheboon and the other by a legit mathematician.
>>
>>8927056
The problem is when industry starts to value this shit.
>>
>>8927264
Preference is often given to underrepresented groups during the admissions process. I guess you could call that a "conspiracy"

Other than that, getting her PhD didn't require the whole department to conspire. Only 3 people: her committee. Which typically would consist of her advisor and two other people that they get to choose.

When they admitted her she was just a name on a piece of paper that was black and a woman. When the committee approved of her defense, it was personal. By then she knew her advisor personally, and the other committee members were probably his friends

If you think it's impossible to get shuffled through when you don't deserve it, you're naive.
>>
>>8927306
Fuck off with the naive bullshit. Cynicism towards shit you aren't even involved with and know practically nothing about isn't wisdom.
>>
>>8927312
Look at the other people who got their phds under Bhargava. You will see that they've all done about 10 times the amount of research as Piper (even if I give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she actually contributed to her one paper).

She can't and won't get her name on any more papers. Even her advisor apparently won't put her name on another one as a gift.
>>
>>8924450
No one here cares about breitbart. The fact is that the paper is an example of how much of a joke academia is when it bumps certain people into classes they aren't literate enough for simply because they want to maintain good boy points.
>>
File: compare old vs new.png (25KB, 1221x462px) Image search: [Google]
compare old vs new.png
25KB, 1221x462px
>>8926670
>https://arxiv.org/abs/1309.2025v2
>>8926801
>http://www.theliberatedmathematician.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/PiperThesisPostPrint.pdf

Upload the documents for yourself and read them side by side
>>
>>8924462
Using a French word does not make your post more intelligent. "Schweinehund" is a portmanteau of "pig" and "dog".
>>
>>8927098
> he does an arts degree, submits art,

He is in the English department and submitted crass 'music'.

https://soundcloud.com/obasishaw/sets/liminal-minds

Though one of his favorites is track 5 "I Am Not Your Nigger", his best track was probably track 6 which of course is all about pimps and the streets 'n shit.

It was subpar trash. An English department ought not to be a degree mill like PoMo art schools, but rather should have SOME fucking standards. At Harvard, apparently not.

Yes as a result of this degree, "Shaw will work as a software engineer at Google."

What?
>>
>>8927321
You are a "SchweineHomosexuell".

That's a portmanteau of "pig" and "homosexual". It means "pig-homosexual"
>>
>>8927264
>muh false choice
>>
>>8927318
The 10 theorems in her thesis are mere and dumb reformulation of those from the paper.
>>
>>8927287
>The language throughout the thesis changes dramatically when it comes to the serious math, so much so that it appears to be a completely different author.

Pretty much this, and it shows she lacks a firm grasp of the material because she can't answer a single question in her presentation of her own thesis. Let alone the linked blog comments of hers.
>>
>>8925687
This must be bait. Of course an undergrad is less "capable", but that is due to spending less time exploring their major and not having gone through as many courses.
>>
>>8927318
https://copyleaks.com/compare/two-documents/37b2ba7b-af70-4fac-b757-b1cdd77d95ce

I can just give you the link
>>
>>8927291
Saying her husband wrote it is clearly hyperbole to express that she had an inappropriate degree of help. A degree that is arguably unethical and unbecoming for an elite university.

Not only in her husband aggressively networking for her to get her in there to begin with, but as well as in his seeming participation in 12 pages of actual thesis, and of course his forced citations of her work after the fact.

The fact that she knows more math than a high schooler after spending more years on math than the entire duration of high school is entirely immaterial.
>>
>>8925793
Well, I'm pretty sure she isn't more capable than the average undergraduate math student. She said herself she was "exceptionally worse" than other students and doesn't understand what other mathematicians (read: master degree students) are speaking about
>>
I am admittedly biased because this mess is similar to one a good friend found himself in, a philobro who basically was cucked by his bpd wife into doing a substantial portion of her medical research PhD work, who then she left and tried to ruin his life.

Some people really do exploit the system, and it results in totally unqualified """""experts"""""
>>
>>8927329
OH WOW! You are so creative. Aren't you something special.
>>
>>8924747
>>8924786
>>8924810
>>8924859
>>8925736
>>8925820
>>8926427
>>8926489
>>8926859
>>8926861
>>8926867
>>8926876
>>8927016
>>8927061
>>8927078
>>8927128
>>8927231
>>8927361
>>8927378
>>8927373

i have really struggled with whether and how to respond to this. The execution of this message was very nice and respectful, and I genuinely appreciate that. The premise, however, is problematic. Maybe not inherently, but within the context of the sexist society we live in. Men are allowed, and often feel compelled, to think out loud at women, to share unsolicited not necessarily informed thoughts at women. (And usually these men, unlike you, don’t even seem to recognize that their thoughts may not be useful.) Women on the other hand aren’t allowed to be as open. So, if you want to not just be respectful, but actually be anti-oppression, it is better (IMO) not to respond to a woman’s work with the types of thoughts that other men pawn off as insights, if you know what i mean. again, i appreciate your honesty, but i feel obligated to point these things out.
>>
>>8927404

Nice try, Piper.
>>
File: piper thesis 7.png (64KB, 735x708px) Image search: [Google]
piper thesis 7.png
64KB, 735x708px
what did she mean by this
>>
File: a.jpg (11KB, 350x249px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
11KB, 350x249px
>>8927444

gib fields medal now
>>
>>8927081

>That is exactly how it works -- you do research and then put it in your thesis. Since you want a job afterwards, you publish that research as well

you should re-read my post. Publishing your thesis FIRST and then summarizing it into a journal article, while I find it to be lazy, does happen and that is fine. She did not do that though. She used the paper she was a co author CO-AUTHOR on as the backbone of her thesis.

If your school allows PhD students to make a 100+ thesis out of a 12 page journal article they co-authored your school is a joke.

I'll repeat it again: A Thesis must be original research. If, AFTER you get your thesis approved you publish on that, while lazy, that is fine.

She did not do this. Look at her citations and bibliography.
>>
>>8927002

>a black woman used simple words instead of the fancy ones you learned

this is where you are wrong. 'fancy' words - the jargon of a discipline - are very important because they express very complicated ideas quickly, and it is important to learn them so that you don't waste time and energy explaining, I don't know, highschool calculus like a idiot to a 55 year old math professor at princeton. Over-using jargon is bad, but using it effectively shows that you know your field of study. Jargon is a set of words that condense ideas.

You are the idiot.
>>
File: piper thesis 8.png (89KB, 689x615px) Image search: [Google]
piper thesis 8.png
89KB, 689x615px
I for one think her thesis is lovely. I failed calc 1 in college but after reading her thesis I feel like I understand math perfectly, and all thanks to her writing it for the layperson, like me!
>>
>>8924464
>abstractifying
>>
>>8924891

No, we don't have Affirmative Action. We have SJWs of course, but you won't find a literal halfwit being awarded a phd in maths just because she's a nigger here.
>>
File: too far.jpg (24KB, 357x432px) Image search: [Google]
too far.jpg
24KB, 357x432px
>>8927061
>>8927085
he's an undergrad, not a doctoral candidate!
writing and producing a rap album in a format inspired by Chaucer is perfectly fine for a bachelor's final project. I think (assuming the album is well-written) this is the kind of innovation that should be applauded, given how hidebound and derivative a lot of literary study is.
>>
>>8926998
>>8927521
>If her research was published, it is no longer original for the thesis.
When are these kids going to stop LARPing? They have clearly never even read a dissertation, let alone written one.

>>8926976
>being this triggered by facts and logic
Not an argument.

This reddit/breit army doesn't even realize how obvious their make-believe is.

We have thread after thread about fucking Piper Harron of all people going up, all exceeding the bump limit because /sci/ is apparently filled with hardcore mathematical purists who must ferociously defend their craft. Yet make a Wiles, Ramanujan, or Tao thread and you slide before you even hit 20 posts almost every time. Wonder where all those rigorous mathematicians go?
>>
>>8927444

That's low effort and boring
>>
>>8927890
>Yet make a Wiles, Ramanujan, or Tao thread and you slide

A Harron thread is technically a Wiles and Bhargava thread
>>
>>8927929
It's exactly like her thesis, then
>>
>>8927890
I can just feel the passive aggression radiating from this post. Of all the hills to pick for your futile "last stand" to die on, you've chosen the most pathetic, undignified one.

Defend the indefensible, cuck. "Da comrade, two plus two equals five...is party line, therefore must be true". Fuck that deserving black who could do math and wasn't a completely hateful piece of dirt, but lost out to the imbecile in question, and double down on the lies when faced with the truth.

You are a cowardly little puke.
>>
>>8924408
>doubling as a critique of papers that no one can understand

Then maybe the author shouldn't have picked a topic as simple as introduction to integration, because it just makes it look like they failed high school
>>
>>8924464
What's with all the fucking you'ing in this one??? Who the fuck is the target audience I don't understand
>>
>>8927890

>When are these kids going to stop LARPing? They have clearly never even read a dissertation, let alone written one.

Find me another PhD thesis in the sciences or math that does this.

>If her research was published, it is no longer original for the thesis.

yes, that is what I said and that is how it works. Let me explain something to you: if you publish a research project in a journal, that project is not your thesis. How is that hard to understand? Now, if she had written her thesis FIRST and then condensed it into a journal article, while lazy, that doesn't change her thesis - it is already done and passed. However, if she takes an article that she wrote and published and makes a thesis out of that this thesis will not pass muster. A thesis has a research / knowledge gap that you are filling in. That is the point. If the research has been done in the past - EVEN BY YOU - that gap has been filled in. Or is it commonplace in your university to write 1 PhD thesis per published journal article? You are silly.

If 'that's how it works' at all universities other than mine, show me. Show me a thesis with no original research that tries to play off a co-authored previously published journal article as original research. I'll wait.
>>
>>8928279
>no, I didn't read the paper or even the abstract, but I can have an opinion too!
>>
someone spoonfeed me the 12 page "real" paper
>>
>>8928061
>double down on lies when faced with the truth
Exactly what "lie" did I double down on? Are you even following the discussion?

>cuck
>streaming the entire reddit army playbook with no restraint
Not. An. Argument.
>>
File: Back to pol.png (322KB, 546x700px) Image search: [Google]
Back to pol.png
322KB, 546x700px
>>8928305
>Let me explain something to you: if you publish a research project in a journal, that project is not your thesis. How is that hard to understand? Now, if she had written her thesis FIRST and then condensed it into a journal article, while lazy, that doesn't change her thesis - it is already done and passed. However, if she takes an article that she wrote and published and makes a thesis out of that this thesis will not pass muster. A thesis has a research / knowledge gap that you are filling in. That is the point. If the research has been done in the past - EVEN BY YOU - that gap has been filled in.
It is common, perhaps even ubiquitous, to publish several papers based on aspects of a larger project, and then to publish the results of the larger project as one's dissertation. You can't make a dissertation out of one journal paper, generally, but that's because there's not enough substance, not because of some arcane rule about whether something has already been published.
Are you even a grad student? Or are you LARPing?
>>
>>8928587
>LARPing?
Nice projection. Everybody knows you are a fucking SJW crusader posing here to cover for a piece of dirt whose academics would not have passed muster at University of Phoenix, but keep projecting your modus operandi onto us if it makes you feel better.
>>
Looks like the ranking of meritocratic schools, from the shittiest Japanese university to Oxford and Cambridge, just shot right the fuck up. Ivy League meme is toast, along with so-called "new Ivies" like Stanford that did shit like admit some idiot that wrote BLM 100 time for an admission letter.
>>
>>8928587
>this fucking idiot doesn't even bother to read the blog where the turd of an "academic" could not answer the simplest math question without deflecting.
>>
>>8928587

>It is common, perhaps even ubiquitous, to publish several papers based on aspects of a larger project, and then to publish the results of the larger project as one's dissertation.
That is true. The difference is that the thesis must then expand on the research presented in any published articles with... wait for it... original research. The thesis does not do that.
Again, show me another thesis that does what hers did: cites your own 12 (CO AUTHORED) page paper and admits that this 12 page paper is where all the work is. The simple answer is that her Thesis should have been rejected.

>not because of some arcane rule about whether something has already been published.

It goes against the guidelines I posted from the princeton math department. You should go back and read them.

>Or are you LARPing?
I am beginning to think you are larping. Your posts are very emotional and do not have the typically analytic character one finds in academics, and especially academics in the sciences or math fields. You seem very petty.
>>
>TFW Ivy League graduate schools have to use turnitin.com to detect plagiarism on PhD thesis papers from now on
>>
>>8928734
How do you still not know what original means? Why are you pretending to know about theses?
>>
>>8927254
underrated post
>>
>>8928951

still waiting for you to show me examples of this
Thread posts: 339
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.