[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, can power engineers be considered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: siemenspower[1].jpg (69KB, 426x307px) Image search: [Google]
siemenspower[1].jpg
69KB, 426x307px
Now that the dust has settled, can power engineers be considered real Electrical Engineers? They appear to be nothing more than glorified electricians.

Is there any reason whatsoever besides it being easy, to be a power engineer, or are they permanently BTFO by real Electrical Engineers?
>>
>>8924278
>Is there any reason whatsoever besides it being easy, to be a power engineer

$

job security

the ability to do rinky dink """"""consulting"""""" in your underwear from your house.
>>
>>8924279
But doesn't it feel degrading to go through 4 long years of school only to work at a job where you barely use any of it?

I mean all the competition of Engineering school just to design a basic three phase power grid, while all your friends are out designing phones and military hardware.
>>
File: 6944538-3x2-940x627.jpg (40KB, 940x627px) Image search: [Google]
6944538-3x2-940x627.jpg
40KB, 940x627px
>>8924296
all my friends are also working 50-60 hours a week and are subject to a highly volatile job market.

more importantly, most engineering jobs are only ~30% actual "engineering", the rest of the time you are answering emails, doing logistics, and disseminating technical information. thats universal for engineering regardless of how complex or ambitious your project is.

i'd rather punch out 40 hours a week and side hustle with my PE and still have enough energy for my own projects on the weekends. i did the cutting edge thing. it fuckin' sucks ass if you aren't married to the job.
>>
Power engineers are glorified maintenance managers
>>
>>8924296
Not an EE or Power Engineer but honestly getting a lot of money for something so easy that you find at least mildly enjoyable>>>>>>>>>>>>>volitile job market that has you do a more complex version of the former for far more hours and probably equal $

$ & free time lets you actually have a social life (far more enjoyment in life)+hobbies (probably own EE projects)+sleep. Most non-autistic/non-idealistic people would in practice choose the former.
>>
>>8924309
Actually talked to a few PEs the other day, at least in my area (PNW), the EEs at the company he works at work about 40 hours a week. The company makes ram chips btw.
>>
>>8924278
Is there a such thing as a degree as power engineering? My emphasis is power systems in my EE major.

>y tho?

To have a job that doesnt involve sitting in a cube 50 hrs a week and dealing with office politics and businessy bullshit.
>>
>>8924361

So?
>>
>>8924490
semi-conductor industry is choice af. if you can get into one of the few foundrys/manufacturing sites in the US you are set. 80-100k out of school no prob with ez pz work schedule (4-10's or even 3-12's with an extra day every 3 weeks).

i'm a mech E and work in the industry and man, only a gubmint job could be easier.
>>
>>8924278
power engineers need to be educated in many things that electrical engineers don't need to do their job.

Phase alignment, load balancing, high voltage resistance losses over miles and miles of wire, peak demand balancing, extremely high voltage circuit protection, etc...

Electrical engineers deal with the downstream electrical power.

Power engineers need to know how to generate and distribute the electricity.
>>
>>8925331
It is like two or three papers in 3rd/4th years. It is not very hard to go that way if you are an EE.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.